2020 GMC Sierra 2500 Heavy Duty - Images and Details

Gorehamj

2020-GMC-Sierra-3500HD-Denali-001.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
1-23-2019

GMC's all-new 2020Sierra Heavy Duty will feature more room and amazing towing capabilities. “The all-new 2020 Sierra HD is the most capable heavy-duty truck that we’ve ever offered,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global GMC. “For customers who demand a premium, innovative heavy-duty truck that supports their passions, the next-generation Sierra HD can pull like a pro.”

2020-GMC-Sierra-2500HD-SLT-017.jpg

There is a lot of new and notable capabilities in the 2020 Sierra HD, so we are breaking down the key elements into bullet points.

2020-GMC-SierraHD-025.jpg

Here are the 2020 Sierra HD general features. Trailering features come below:

A segment-exclusive available 15-inch-diagonal head-up display that offers useful trailering information, including vehicle speed, navigation information and an inclinometer display for the road grade.
An available segment-first Rear Camera Mirror.
MultiPro, the world’s first six-function tailgate, allows easier loading, unloading and bed access and is available on all trim levels.
A larger, commanding design that provides more room for cargo and occupants.
Best-in-class Crew Cab front headroom and legroom for the driver and other front-row occupants.
An all-new, segment-first, Allison 10-speed automatic transmission mated to the legendary 6.6L Duramax turbo diesel.

2020-GMC-SierraHD-034.jpg

2020 Sierra HD Advantages Over Prior Model Include:

A longer wheelbase, a taller, more dominant hood line and taller overall height.
A larger grille and complementing functional hood scoop to feed an advanced cooling system for the Duramax turbo diesel. 
Class-leading heavy-duty cargo bed volume and corner tie-downs with a new, available 120-volt power outlet.
One-inch-lower bed lift-in height compared to the 2019 Sierra Heavy Duty, providing easier loading and fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailer hitching.
New, segment-exclusive cargo bed side steps on all box styles, located in front of the rear wheel openings, that complement integrated CornerSteps in the rear bumper to improve access to the cargo area.
World’s first six-function MultiPro tailgate available on all trim levels and standard on SLT, AT4 and Denali.

GMC’s Duramax turbo diesel and new 10-speed Allison automatic transmission pairing will offer superior towing confidence. GMC isn't providing exact specs today, but says that the 2020 Sierra HD will have capabilities well in excess of 30,000 pounds. This is the first HD segment 10-speed. The Duramax 6.6L turbo-diesel engine develops an SAE-certified 445 horsepower and 910 lb-ft of torque. 

2020-GMC-SierraHD-026.jpg

2020 Sierra HD Trailering Features:

An enhanced ProGrade Trailering system featuring class-leading available 15 camera views, including a segment-first transparent trailer view to virtually see through a trailer in tow.
An available smart trailer designed to integrate the iN∙Command control system from ASA Electronics provides the ability to monitor and control select functions of compatibly equipped trailers through the myGMC mobile app.

Auto Electric Park Brake to automatically apply the parking brake to help maintain truck position when hitching.
All-new Park Grade Hold Assist enhances hill hold by using braking effort at each wheel for an extended period of time.
All-new larger, door-mounted trailering mirrors with a four-bar link providing power extend and retract for the driver and passenger sides.
Integrated trailer brake controller that works with the trailer profile in the Trailering App to recall a specified trailer’s most recent gain setting.
Tow/Haul mode that remains engaged on the next key-on cycle, for up to four hours; includes a reminder the feature is engaged.
Hill Start Assist and Hill Descent Control.
Trailer Sway Control.
Auto Grade Braking and Diesel Exhaust Braking.
Digital Variable Steering Assist that dynamically optimizes power steering according to driving scenarios, including trailering, and enables features like road pull compensation.
Trailering Info Label placed on the driver’s door jamb that clearly calls out the truck’s specific trailering information, including curb weight, GVWR, GCWR, maximum payload, maximum tongue weight and rear GAWR.

2020-GMC-SierraHD-028.jpg

When Can You Get One?

The 2020 Sierra HD will go on sale "later this year" in 2500HD and 3500HD dual rear wheel and single rear wheel configurations. Flint Assembly in Flint, Michigan, will be the manufacturing location for the 2020 Sierra Heavy Duty. 

25 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

Wow they might as well not even produce the silverado hd imo. You have to be basically insane to take it over the gmc with how hideous the chevys front end looks.

I agree, for the first time ever I like GMC's front end way more than Chevy. They sure ruined that. I'm so glad I got mine in 2015.

4 hours ago, BIGDOGx said:

Wow they might as well not even produce the silverado hd imo. You have to be basically insane to take it over the gmc with how hideous the chevys front end looks.

Funny, you think they will stop production because of you? 

Personally, I like the 1/2 GMC over the Chevy.  But on the HD class, the Chevy looks far better.  Looks like it means business.

I', sorry, but these are fuglier than sin! The new RAM trucks look a hell of a lot better and offer way more than anything GMC and Chevy are offering - and I currently own 2 Sierras.

• Like 2

After the issues with my 2016 gmc all terrain pickup I'll never buy another gmc or Chevy product.   Paint issues from the factory that they'r factory said wasn't from them and the dealership says isn't from them.   Then shocks going at 35000 miles along with airbag issues, backup sensor issues,  electric mirror issues and many more.   Your trucks are shit!!!

15 hours ago, Michael Mauro Krom said:

After the issues with my 2016 gmc all terrain pickup I'll never buy another gmc or Chevy product.   Paint issues from the factory that they'r factory said wasn't from them and the dealership says isn't from them.   Then shocks going at 35000 miles along with airbag issues, backup sensor issues,  electric mirror issues and many more.   Your trucks are shit!!!

So why are you telling us?  We are not GM...

• Like 1

I have a '16 Denali dually. I hope they (2020) model fixes before its maiden release. The charging cell phone arm rest to actually be stronger and allow phones with cases that FIT the opening. Also those camper mirrors to be about 2 inches wider when open and have defrost. Fix camera issues that when reversing and pulling foward you have to re-enter your camera set up (yes I have the same cameras from Rostra). the overhead view is good for only 32 feet trailer and NO goose neck or 5ther!!! REALLY! Most serious dually users are over 32 feet. Why have all that GVWR if ur under 32 feet! Better get that distances expanded. Also that overhead view add a zoom while backing for the last 12 feet of the rear of the trailer for close objects... gas pumps, mail boxes... walls etc. 

I am on their email list and I await some of these answers. Also why no radio on the drop tail gate for the dually, we also do go events that could use it. 

Chuck 

Edited by Gecko50
Spelling

81f6591386ba7ed0e90ede0427acb99b.jpg

Or56ead2c3fc21774f99864b8964e457fa.jpg

Grizzlyltz
  • Haha 1