LT Max Tow vs LT Z71 vs Trail Boss

My opinion, but you don't need a 10k plus trailering rating in order to pull a 6800lbs trailer.  Let's say your trailer is 8k lbs loaded, I have a Trail Boss and it has a 9500lbs tow rating, I would feel more than comfortable towing 8k lbs.  I have a travel trailer that weights 5800 lbs dry, I estimate that it is around 6500 lbs when we travel.  I haven't towed it with my truck yet but I have towed it plenty of times with my wife's Tahoe, which has the max trailering package and a towing capacity of 8600 lbs, the Tahoe handles it just fine.  We took it into the mountains last summer and I had no problem maintaining the speed limit going up the mountains on the interstate and none of the temps ever left the normal range.  I have no doubt that my Trail Boss will handle it without issue.

• Like 1

The other thing to consider, besides towing capacity, is the gross vehicle weight rating. I've heard from guys on here that you're more likely to max out on that with a fully loaded truck and trailer than on the towing capacity. With the max tow package, GVWR goes up from 7000 lbs to 7300 lbs. However, if that package adds 300 lbs or more to the weight of the truck, maybe it's a moot point. Have to look at the weight of the truck, estimated weight of the gear in the truck and estimated trailer tongue weight (I've heard use 10 to 12.5% of trailer weight) and see if you're over 7000 or 7300.

Edited by Cpl_Punishment
Clarity

There are a LOT more NHT-equipped 2019s on lots around me right now than there ever were 16-18 model NHTs.

All of the NHT-equipped 2019 crew cab short bed 4x4 5.3L LTs I've looked at have had placarded payload in excess of 2050lb, and even a LTZ 6.2L was well north of 1900lb.  GVWR between NHT and non-NHT is only 200lb with 2019s, so subtract a couple hundred pounds and do the math accordingly.

GCWR for 2019 non-NHT is 15k, NHT 5.3L is 16.8k.

I have a 2017 5.3L with 7200lb GVWR, 1702lb placarded payload and pull a 6100lb dry camper...I've run it across a CAT scale and with my wife and two kids onboard we come in under 13k GCWR (max is 15k for my truck) with ample room to spare on the truck GVWR and both axles GAWR with the weight distributing hitch.

Bottom line: NHT would give me a warm fuzzy for the additional capability, but IMO is not necessary for the weights mentioned here.

You can't tow max rating on any of these trucks. Each truck has a payload and tongue weight max that will prevent the max tow amount. Hitch, cargo, passengers and tongue weight are all payload weight. The truck with the  AAM 9.76 will have the highest payload capacity. Always get the max trailer option with the highest payload capacity.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 5:07 PM, aseibel said:

First of all, you are definitely going to want the 3.42 gears for towing. which may come standard or may be an option on the different trims. My LT Z-71 came with it, but that's 2015. Don't get any taller tires than you need, as taller tires effectively reduce your axle ratio, meaning less torque for towing.

Second- your 6800 lb travel trailer, is that dry/empty weight or full? Don't forget the weight of cargo, food, beer, water, bikes, the family, the dog, etc. That is pushing the top end of what a half ton can pull. If you are looking into serious cross country towing, seriously consider a 2500.

At least the Max Tow give you a little more rear axle capacity, which you will probably need for that trailer.

I would also remove the Trail Boss from consideration for what you want to do. 

On 1/26/2019 at 12:12 AM, z1boss said:

Every truck has a sticker on the bottom right when you open the driver door.  It will tell u the tow rating for that specific vehicle.  Go to a dealer and find an RST and check the sticker.

Would someone be able to post a picture of their trailering/weight capacity sticker on their driver's side door jamb like in this link:

https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/10/2019-chevy-silverado-1500-trail-boss-tow-payload-specs/

I'm interested in the Rear Axle Weight Rating for a 6.2L with the max trailering package.

3 hours ago, Polo08816 said:

Would someone be able to post a picture of their trailering/weight capacity sticker 

I'm interested in the Rear Axle Weight Rating for a 6.2L with the max trailering package.

I have outdated info from my 2015 brochure, but I'll do my best since you replied to me.

in 2015, the standard rear axle weight rating was 3,950 for standard 4x4, and 4,300 for max trailering package.

I'm sure its in that same ballpark on the new models.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

All the 6.2 engines come with the 9.76 axle... seemingly the lighter payload/RAWR is due to shocks and springs. 

In in my experience with an AT4 6.2/10-speed the limits of 15k GCWR/3800RAWR are pretty conservative and I would have no issue using all of that capacity comfortably. That is to say I don’t feel the need to oversize this truck by some large amount because it seems the factory already has things setup for higher capacity with minor changes.

I tow about 12,500 GCWR (CAT scale verified) and the truck handles it great.