4 banger worse gas Mileage then the V8?

f8l vnm

2 hours ago, O_J_Simpson said:

Living in a state that has speed limits up to 85 MPH EPA estimates are useless. If you are not driving at least 90-95 MPH , you will get ran off the road. Everyone does at least 10 over. They need to test them like they are used, at true highway speeds.

I think exactly one road in the country has a speed limit that high.

• 4 weeks later...

Let’s bring this thread back with some other test data. TFL did their test with the 2.7 turbo 4x4. Not only did the truck get 24.2 MPG @70 mph, but the DIC was nearly spot on. These were the numbers I was hoping for to make the 2.7 a sensible option. The Car & Driver thing was not making me feel to positive about the engine.

The thinner air in Colorado gave the Turbo engine some advantage over the Ram, but that Rebel did terrible by anyone’s measure. Complete embarrassment. 16.8 :nono:!!!

• Like 1

I think that the four-banger is more suitable for shorter trips, city driving and even more real world-ish various speeds.

And, I have to find the highway in North America where I could drive 75mph continuously.

The four-banger will find it's place. Owners who don't need bragging rights but enjoy having a big car to get the kids to soccer, the groceries on the way back and pick up the new couch from IKEA on the weekend.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been waiting on the 2.7L to finally get to dealers, and am finally going to go drive one tonight. If all pans out, I will probably be ordering a loaded RST double cab with the 2.7 in a few hours.

I may be odd, but I hate the sound of a V8 or V6, and I am tired of waiting on the Duramax. I'm upgrading from my tuned 2015 Colorado 2.5/6MT which does a great job towing my boat and other toys, so I have no worries about the 2.7 having enough power for my needs, particularly with the diesel-like torque curve. Fuel economy has not been part of the decision in any case (my Colorado rarely makes it out of the mid teens as it is), but I was a bit shocked to see their test results - until I saw the speeds they were testing it at.

Tfl did another test and mpg came up 1 for the rebel still not great. But also factor in height weight , v8 and gearing of rebel , altitude for na engine and its easy to see why the Chevy won. still 24 mpg is impressive. Now let’s see rebel vs trail boss at same time tested 

Edited by f8l vnm

At least GM is giving more engine options. If I was looking for a reg cab truck and my choice was a V-6 with split fire or a turbo 4, I'm going 4. Then I would be looking for a tune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

I can see more owners opting for the new Diesel in the Silverado over the 2.7 Four

For me it came down to not wanting to wait any longer. Particularly given the delay in certification of the Diesel due to the Government shutdown, God knows how long it will be.

I can see more owners opting for the new Diesel in the Silverado over the 2.7 Four

Will be interesting to see the diesel numbers. My stepdad has a ram eco diesel and I’m always blown away at his mpg numbers. The other side of that is that the eco-diesels are a coin toss on whether you get a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drove it last night (and based by how hard it’s been to find one, pretty sure I’m one of the first non-media with some seat time). It had 226 miles on it and was averaging 23.6 according to the DIC. 

It’ll move with authority, and it definitely has no problem loading about and riding a wave of boost and torque without seeming like it is working. Definitely will be fine for towing my ~4,000-5,000lb toys without issue. 

It definitely sounds like a big bore 4 cylinder, which I can see some people being turned off by. It sounds mechanical and the turbo is audible - but does not rumble at all (my beef with a V8). To be honest, the whole truck seemed louder than my 2015 Colorado, but I suppose I’m being nit picky. 

I think ill I’ll be dusting off the checkbook on Saturday and joining the Silverado family with one. Yay to 8 week order waits ?

I thought I read that the turbo 4 can also drop 2 cylinders but that may not be from an official source so take with a grain of salt.

I currently drive a car with a 2.4L NA I4 and I love the exhaust note, though my valves are a bit noisy. 

The small engine in my wife's Corolla is not more fuel efficient when I drive it because I'm impatient with the shitty 4AT and the lack of torque compared to my car and end up flooring it a lot. 

19 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I thought I read that the turbo 4 can also drop 2 cylinders but that may not be from an official source so take with a grain of salt. 

Yeah, the 2.7 has AFM. 

Seems to tow like a champ, even at it’s limit. But it was certainly guzzling the gas. 

• Like 1

I was really glad to see this today, and to see how well it did. 

I am hoping to get my order number tomorrow so the ball will be rolling. I signed my lease for the summer at the boat yard as well today - so it looks like I’m going to have a couple more tows with the Colorado under my belt this year since the Silverado won’t be here until after the start of the season. I am really curious to see how it does in comparison to my Colorado (which is an admirable champ even though my tow weight is slightly higher than its rating).