Help with 4X4

Hi.  I just bought my 2018 Silverado.  It has 4X4 and I am hoping someone can help me understand if something is wrong or if it's just the way it is.  I've never driven before in 4X4 before but what I'm experiencing doesn't seem right.  I've actually had the truck for a bit more than a month, but I just now put it in 4X4 due to a snow storm.  Up until now, I've had it in 2WD and Auto with seemingly no issues.  However, in 4X4, the truck handles much different when making tight turns.  For example, when backing into my drive, I make a very tight right and pull the truck up and then crank it to the left as I begin to back up into the driveway.  When I do this, the truck kicks and bucks, but it does settle down (goes away) once the truck gets into a straighter position.  Driving around, I don't detect any significant difference.  Seems like I hear a bit more engine/trans noise, but nothing significant.  In another example, I couldn't even pull into a parking place without backing up a couple times to straighten out the truck.

Is this normal for 4X4 mode?

As said NO 4x4 on dry pavement. Making tight turns in 4x4 mode will ruin your truck fast. If you’re out plowing snow it’s not so bad because more then likely there will be some slip on the pavement. In that situation I’d probably run in auto

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Anthony Addessi said:

Hi there, completely normal. Avoid keeping it in 4wd on dry pavement while making tight 

maneuvers.

6 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

As said NO 4x4 on dry pavement. Making tight turns in 4x4 mode will ruin your truck fast. If you’re out plowing snow it’s not so bad because more then likely there will be some slip on the pavement. In that situation I’d probably run in auto

What they both said...can not stress this enough and if you break something doing this it will be pretty obvious to your dealer/repair installation. When possible just use 2WD and Auto in heavy rain or light snow, the trucks system is really very good at routing power as needed to keep you from sliding all over...well unless you’re just in over your head! Play with the 4x4 in a mud pit, sand or heavy snow.

Edited by SS502

Hi.  I just bought my 2018 Silverado.  It has 4X4 and I am hoping someone can help me understand if something is wrong or if it's just the way it is.  I've never driven before in 4X4 before but what I'm experiencing doesn't seem right.  I've actually had the truck for a bit more than a month, but I just now put it in 4X4 due to a snow storm.  Up until now, I've had it in 2WD and Auto with seemingly no issues.  However, in 4X4, the truck handles much different when making tight turns.  For example, when backing into my drive, I make a very tight right and pull the truck up and then crank it to the left as I begin to back up into the driveway.  When I do this, the truck kicks and bucks, but it does settle down (goes away) once the truck gets into a straighter position.  Driving around, I don't detect any significant difference.  Seems like I hear a bit more engine/trans noise, but nothing significant.  In another example, I couldn't even pull into a parking place without backing up a couple times to straighten out the truck.

That’s normal 4x4 mode. Is your truck a Z71 or standard 4x4?

Sent from above

22 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

That’s normal 4x4 mode. Is your truck a Z71 or standard 4x4?

Sent from above

Not a Z71.  Just a standard 4X4 with a crew cab.  Thank you all so much.  I had no idea there was risk to driving around, which would naturally include some tight turns, in 4X4?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GN2018 said:

Not a Z71.  Just a standard 4X4 with a crew cab.  Thank you all so much.  I had no idea there was risk to driving around, which would naturally include some tight turns, in 4X4?

It takes a lot of force to break a tire's traction on dry pavement, and that is essentially what your truck needs to do when you do a tight turn with the truck locked into 4x4.  That said, I can't recall reading any stories of drivers actually breaking any drivetrain components by incorrectly using 4x4 on the road.  Maybe they're just too embarrassed to admit it on the internet.  Regardless, repeated misuse could be problematic.

So, moving forward, only use 4 high on surfaces with reduced traction.  Auto works great when navigating a mix of slippery and grippy surfaces. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 8:43 PM, GN2018 said:

When you put the truck into 4hi, the front wheels and the back wheels are locked together. So when you turn, especially a tight turn, the fronts and backs need to rotate at a different speed. This is why you are never supposed to use 4x4 on a dry surface.

In 4auto the front and back are not locked, they are seperated by a clutch. This is why 4auto is ideal for patchy situations. It’s also why  you don’t want to use 4auto in conditions that are 100% snow, because there is no need to work the clutches when you can just lock them together in 4hi.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DenaliX14 said:

Great video I have referenced before for 4x4. I had to review too. I came out of a 2014 C63 Mercedes. I had NO idea what/when to use 4x4.

I haven’t had the need or even noticed but I don’t think I have a neutral light on mine...I’m sure there is something in the manual but haven’t had the need, best break it out lol

17 minutes ago, SS502 said:

I haven’t had the need or even noticed but I don’t think I have a neutral light on mine...I’m sure there is something in the manual but haven’t had the need, best break it out lol

There is, just does not light up until you have shifted the transfer case into neutral, believe it is red. It is sort of a lengthy process to get it and the transmission into neutral, like if you were flat towing the truck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

There is, just does not light up until you have shifted the transfer case into neutral, believe it is red. It is sort of a lengthy process to get it and the transmission into neutral, like if you were flat towing the truck.

Thanks Jim, I did go out and yep it’s there ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Thanks Jim, I did go out and yep it’s there ?

You are very welcome. I would try to shift it into neutral, just to see how it works, but with my "mad" skills it would probably get stuck and leave the truck undrivable. It is the last portion of the video that was just posted.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Haha 1