Allison 10-speed

18 hours ago, DTB said:

The Allison took so much power it was not offered with 6.0 was my understanding. I don’t see any reason not to offer the 10 speed with both gas and diesel and be done with it. 

Probably it was because the torque handling capability of the allison was not needed behind the 6.0

And now we know officially:

ALL-NEW 6.6L V8 GAS ENGINE WITH UPGRADED 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
401 horsepower and 464 lb.-ft. of torque
Cast-iron engine block for durability
Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing 

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-vehicles/all-new-2020-silverado-hd

Edited by redwngr

On 2/1/2019 at 7:58 AM, redwngr said:

Probably it was because the torque handling capability of the allison was not needed behind the 6.0

It has ZERO to do with that and everything to do with saving money .  Ford has their 10 speed in alot of cars/trucks now . 

10 Speed is better on gas and performance . And about the same weight as 6 speed .. So why not ? 

33 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

It has ZERO to do with that and everything to do with saving money .  Ford has their 10 speed in alot of cars/trucks now . 

10 Speed is better on gas and performance . And about the same weight as 6 speed .. So why not ? 

Of course it's about the torque level - at the necessary duty cycle for HD use. 

If it wasn't they'd just drop in the 10L80  (MF6) or the 10L90 (MGL) that are already in production.  

Both are Michigan built -- wouldn't have far to ship! 

Maybe 10L90 is going to come as a future 'upgrade' in place of the 6L90.

Edited by redwngr

On 2/5/2019 at 10:31 AM, redwngr said:

And now we know officially:

ALL-NEW 6.6L V8 GAS ENGINE WITH UPGRADED 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
401 horsepower and 464 lb.-ft. of torque
Cast-iron engine block for durability
Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing 

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-vehicles/all-new-2020-silverado-hd

What we don't know from that is if the new engine will also have AFM like the 1/2 series.  GM Authority site claims it will. One has to wonder, if it does have AFM, what the intent of putting that goofy cylinder deactivation junk on a working truck that has 2/3 of it's sales to commercial users who are not interested in that sort of crap clogging up their engine.  

3 hours ago, Cowpie said:

What we don't know from that is if the new engine will also have AFM like the 1/2 series.  GM Authority site claims it will. One has to wonder, if it does have AFM, what the intent of putting that goofy cylinder deactivation junk on a working truck that has 2/3 of it's sales to commercial users who are not interested in that sort of crap clogging up their engine.  

No mention of AFM (unless I missed it) in this walkthrough with GM engineer. 

Direct injection and variable valve timing. 

Runs on regular.

7 hours ago, redwngr said:

No mention of AFM (unless I missed it) in this walkthrough with GM engineer. 

Direct injection and variable valve timing. 

Runs on regular.

From the GM Authority website.......

Notably, the L96 is E85/FlexFuel capable and features Variable Valve Timing (VVT) and Sequential Fuel Injection (SFI, otherwise known as port fuel injection). That is to say that it does not have the latest internal combustion engine technologies such as direct injection, Cylinder Deactivation (in either AFM or DFM guise), or a low-friction valvetrain. By comparison, the new 6.6L unit is expected to adopt these technologies.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/10/next-gen-gm-hd-trucks-to-introduce-new-6-6l-v-8-gasoline-engine/#ixzz5eqa3q6Jo

There were a lot of things that weren't asked and not addressed but the engineer in the video from TFL..  Will it also be flex fuel like the current L96 is one of them.  Cylinder deactivation was not asked by the interviewer not addressed by the engineer.  Silence does not imply non existence.  GM has always played a little coy when it comes to AFM.  They really don't go around bragging about it and most of us understand why.

Edited by Cowpie

Most of my 3/4-1 tons have been diesels. I quit pulling heavy before they started messing with diesel fuel then Diesel engines. I would have went to gas. Cylinder deactivation would have been a brand changer. Non available, easy I would have had two older trucks rebuild as needed rotate. We did the from the seventies to the mid eighties with two one ton 390 Fords. One frame on rebuild each. 1988 Ford one ton dually 7.3. Banks, gear-venders mods retired the older Fords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Cowpie said:

From the GM Authority website.......

Notably, the L96 is E85/FlexFuel capable and features Variable Valve Timing (VVT) and Sequential Fuel Injection (SFI, otherwise known as port fuel injection). That is to say that it does not have the latest internal combustion engine technologies such as direct injection, Cylinder Deactivation (in either AFM or DFM guise), or a low-friction valvetrain. By comparison, the new 6.6L unit is expected to adopt these technologies.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/10/next-gen-gm-hd-trucks-to-introduce-new-6-6l-v-8-gasoline-engine/#ixzz5eqa3q6Jo

There were a lot of things that weren't asked and not addressed but the engineer in the video from TFL..  Will it also be flex fuel like the current L96 is one of them.  Cylinder deactivation was not asked by the interviewer not addressed by the engineer.  Silence does not imply non existence.  GM has always played a little coy when it comes to AFM.  They really don't go around bragging about it and most of us understand why.

The Mr. Truck video has more info. He didn't directly ask about AFM but this rundown on the new 6.6 is the most thorough one I've seen so far and there's been absolutely no mention of AFM including on their own official website. I was multitasking and didn't grab all the details but their built in "catch can" is interesting as is info that the 20%+ TQ increase is across the whole power band. E85 is not available on the 2020 were the reps words which leads me to believe it will offered gradually.

I time stamped the video for the 6.6 segment but first part of the video is about the 10-speed which was also interesting.

You could be right on the AFM thing.  I am fortunate that I will not be looking for a new pickup truck for many years to come, since I already have pretty much what I want.  The AFM thing would be a deal breaker probably, and most assuredly if the new 6.6 does not have flex fuel capability also.   Something else that was not asked or brought out by the engineer.  Too many questions still remain.   I really like paying only $1.12 right now for E85.  My 2015 2500 6.0 has been on an E85 diet for two years.    Even with the lower fuel economy, I still have a lower cost per mile fuel cost than with regular, premium, or diesel.  

Edited by Cowpie

3 hours ago, Cowpie said:

You could be right on the AFM thing.  I am fortunate that I will not be looking for a new pickup truck for many years to come, since I already have pretty much what I want.  The AFM thing would be a deal breaker probably, and most assuredly if the new 6.6 does not have flex fuel capability also.   Something else that was not asked or brought out by the engineer.  Too many questions still remain.   I really like paying only $1.12 right now for E85.  My 2015 2500 6.0 has been on an E85 diet for two years.    Even with the lower fuel economy, I still have a lower cost per mile fuel cost than with regular, premium, or diesel.  

Mr truck video and tfl video both spoke with the same engineer from the gas engine program.

In Mr Truck one he was asked point blank about E85 and indicated that the 6.6 will be regular fuel, but (at least for 2020) will NOT have E85 capability. 

The engineer also made a point in the (Mr Truck one) to explain / mention the technologies that hadn't been asked about and impacts on power/torque/reliability for the HD segment.  No mention of displacement on demand, even when talking about increased fuel efficiency in the 6.6 vs 6.0.

He was pretty proud of the oil separation system.