5 hours ago, chris-i said:

2017 with 5.3l. Anyone have any negative experience with pennzoil platinum 0w20?

Or is it a decent oil?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

To be compliant, just use any oil that is Dexos approved. Dealers are using full synthetic now for oil changes. 

I had that in an oil change from Jiffy Lube or similar a while back on a Dodge Ram. It turned black a lot sooner than the Mobil 1 I generally used.

That was about six years ago BTW

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, sierra4102 said:

what is ur consumption average

Probably 1/2-3/4 quart 5,000 miles. I find direct injection engines consume oil. Most of the 2014's - 2018's I see are low when they come in for oil changes, especially if they go 7,500 miles. If they go 7,500 miles I usually don't see any oil registering on the dipsticks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doublebase said:

Probably 1/2-3/4 quart 5,000 miles. I find direct injection engines consume oil. Most of the 2014's - 2018's I see are low when they come in for oil changes, especially if they go 7,500 miles. If they go 7,500 miles I usually don't see any oil registering on the dipsticks.

What’s that tell you? Some people are too dang lazy to even check their oil...and then wonder why manufacturers don’t install catch cans on their vehicles ? it would just be one more thing those same lazy consumers (not everyone obviously) wouldn’t check either. I’m sure you know why there is slight oil consumption, just by design some gets pumped back into the combustion cycle.

Edited by SS502
  • Thanks 1

Pennzoil Platinum is a great oil.  I have used Quaker State Ultimate Durability in my 17 GMC.  Both Pennzoil and Quaker State are products of SOPUS, Shell Oil Products of US and their offerings are top-notch in my opinion. 

I am the exception to the too lazy to check oil description.  About a little over a year ago I had a high pressure fuel pump failure and it was dumping fuel in the crankcase.  I caught it fairly quickly as the oil appeared overfilled and took it in to the dealer.  The service manager asked me how I caught it so quickly.  My answer astounded him.....I usually check my oil weekly.    There are still a few of us old school guys left.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Foghorn17 said:

Pennzoil Platinum is a great oil.  I have used Quaker State Ultimate Durability in my 17 GMC.  Both Pennzoil and Quaker State are products of SOPUS, Shell Oil Products of US and their offerings are top-notch in my opinion. 

I am the exception to the too lazy to check oil description.  About a little over a year ago I had a high pressure fuel pump failure and it was dumping fuel in the crankcase.  I caught it fairly quickly as the oil appeared overfilled and took it in to the dealer.  The service manager asked me how I caught it so quickly.  My answer astounded him.....I usually check my oil weekly.    There are still a few of us old school guys left.

I edited my post after reading yours! I wasn’t trying to imply we are all lazy consumers ? I was referring to the people who go in at 7,500 miles between changes and don’t even have oil showing on the dipstick.

1 minute ago, SS502 said:

I edited my post after reading yours! I wasn’t trying to imply we are all lazy consumers ? I was referring to the people who go in at 7,500 miles between changes and don’t even have oil showing on the dipstick.

No offense taken.  In general I agree everyone relies on the vehicle dummy lights and just assumes all is ok.  Thankful my dad taught me the right way to do it.  Of course I grew up in a Ford household, so I definitely needed to keep a close eye....lol.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Foghorn17 said:

No offense taken.  In general I agree everyone relies on the vehicle dummy lights and just assumes all is ok.  Thankful my dad taught me the right way to do it.  Of course I grew up in a Ford household, so I definitely needed to keep a close eye....lol.  

Very funny,  I am always asked by family members and friends too?  What is wrong with your vehicle now?  I just reply nothing why?  If they don't get it by now they probably never will.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Very funny,  I am always asked by family members and friends too?  What is wrong with your vehicle now?  I just reply nothing why?  If they don't get it by now they probably never will.

I laugh every time I watch someone bent over looking at the leading edge of their hood trying to figure out how to open it...I just shake my head. Ironically it’s usually at an auto parts place. 

• Like 1