8 hours ago, Foghorn17 said:

Pennzoil Platinum is a great oil.  I have used Quaker State Ultimate Durability in my 17 GMC.  Both Pennzoil and Quaker State are products of SOPUS, Shell Oil Products of US and their offerings are top-notch in my opinion. 

I am the exception to the too lazy to check oil description.  About a little over a year ago I had a high pressure fuel pump failure and it was dumping fuel in the crankcase.  I caught it fairly quickly as the oil appeared overfilled and took it in to the dealer.  The service manager asked me how I caught it so quickly.  My answer astounded him.....I usually check my oil weekly.    There are still a few of us old school guys left.

I've used Quaker State since I used up my freebie oil changes, and Clyde runs like a top! My Blackstone reports come back glowing :D Happy that my loyalty has paid off :lol:

Glad to hear that, a great habit to get into. Every fuel up the hood goes up and the dipstick comes out. I also take a gander at the coolant tank and the master cylinder reservoir. Most of the time I gawk at my big V8 XD

• Like 2

I check my oil and the wife's car every week, standard for years.

Check coolant level, windshield fluid and brake fluid like mentioned.

Brand loyalty, personal choice of oil or any oil that meets spec is fine.

People amaze me how dumb they can be.

Check my oil?

:)

Edited by diyer2
  • Like 4

I know it has been posted before but I'll post again for the new individuals.

Here are the three main places to send oil off to get analyzed.

Blackstone labs, Oil Analyzers, Dysonanalysis

I personally use Dyson, Terry sends out a PDF report and a .wav file to explain each and every line on the PDF file.  You open the PDF and the .wav file and sit back an listen while he explains it.  Then if you have any questions you can call him.  He has caught issues with two of our vehicles. When I took them into the dealer they found the issue, one was intake leak on our 2002 Chevy venture van and the other was a bad intake check valve on our daughters 2012 Chevy Cruze1.4 turbo.  All fixed under warranty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish our trucks had an electronic dipstick for checking oil.

My BMW doesn't have a dipstick at all, only the electronic.  That setup I don't like because it takes several minutes of running before it will have a reading.  My wife's Audi has the electronic monitoring , but it is much faster.  It also has a a provision for a dipstick but it is capped off.  I just ordered a OEM stick for $30 and was good to go.  That's the best setup; stick for oil changes, electronic monitoring for oil level checks.

7 hours ago, diyer2 said:

I will be content with an oil dip-stick.

:)

It (the engine) will be even more content than you are if the owner uses the darn thing. I’d be willing to bet money that in today’s population of “drivers” if you asked 100 of them to show me how to check the oil on their cars...maybe 40% could do so...the other 60% would have trouble finding the hood release.

Edited by SS502
Corrected spelling

Guilty, in the 20 years I've check the oil very little. My wife's 11 Geneses never, open the hood twice its covered. My Toyota never opened the hood. My old truck likes oil so keep an I on the miles and open the hood once of month. It's pretty under there so I look. I know what burning oil smells like and can identify an oil leak. No need for me anyway to open the hood every gas fill up like the seventies. After visiting multiple websites most people are better off leaving the hood shut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Guilty, in the 20 years I've check the oil very little. My wife's 11 Geneses never, open the hood twice its covered. My Toyota never opened the hood. My old truck likes oil so keep an I on the miles and open the hood once of month. It's pretty under there so I look. I know what burning oil smells like and can identify an oil leak. No need for me anyway to open the hood every gas fill up like the seventies. After visiting multiple websites most people are better off leaving the hood shut.

Guess old habits die hard for me...check under the hood every weekend. Maybe overkill but it usually gets me out of helping fold the laundry ? 

Edited by SS502
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Oh and there’s a big difference between someone like yourself who knows how to do it and how to identify a problem...I was referring to those who just don’t know what a dipstick is or what it’s used for ??

• Like 1

Oh and there’s a big difference between someone like yourself who knows how to do it and how to identify a problem...I was referring to those who just don’t know what a dipstick is or what it’s used for [emoji106][emoji106]

I often wonder why they don’t bring back full service gas stations, my first job. One in every town, I believe they do well. I thought about it, but retirement and me get along fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I often wonder why they don’t bring back full service gas stations, my first job. One in every town, I believe they do well. I thought about it, but retirement and me get along fine.

In Oregon, you can’t pump your own gas (or last time I was there in 2017) you couldn’t. Maybe somewhere but it’s not common...but full service today means they just put your gas cap back on ?

In Oregon, you can’t pump your own gas (or last time I was there in 2017) you couldn’t. Maybe somewhere but it’s not common...but full service today means they just put your gas cap back on [emoji854]

New Jersey too, where I’m from.

• Like 1

Hey all, just wanted to let you know that if you’re looking at using or switching to AMSOIL go through @Black02Silverado For a killer deal, fast shipping and discount opportunities. I PMd him Monday night and got this about an hour ago delivered to my door via UPS. Thank you Nick! ???

8986C788-5BB1-4053-92F6-19231A8A2ECD.jpeg

Edited by SS502
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SS502 said:

Hey all, just wanted to let you know that if you’re looking at using or switching to AMSOIL go through @Black02Silverado For a killer deal, fast shipping and discount opportunities. I PMd him Monday night and got this about an hour ago delivered to my door via UPS. Thank you Nick! ???

8986C788-5BB1-4053-92F6-19231A8A2ECD.jpeg

Whoa, when was your house vandalized??? Looks like someone broke in and put a bunch of Ducks and Gators crap all over your walls! Any suspects??????

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Whoa, when was your house vandalized??? Looks like someone broke in and put a bunch of Ducks and Gators crap all over your walls! Any suspects??????

I didn’t catch him but my security camera caught a head shot...I’ve informed the local Fish and Game authorities...

FCF49926-048F-4431-B73D-46B418C6CCC4.jpeg