Spend my money... aka help me chose tires

Well I’d get whatever. Cooper ST/Maxx tires are spendy .

I have a Jeep XJ and I run 31” AT3’s for street use and they’re great. Off road I have a set of mounted BFG Mud Terrains in 32”. 

When the BFG’s die it gets ST/Maxx all the way

Edited by Threerun

Lots of recommendations, time to do your own research and spend what you can afford and what your most important values are on tire requirements, not what anyone else’s is.

That said and just to be funny, here’s my input of the Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Sent from above
  • Like 1

Not a BFG KO2 fan?

Michilen LTX is a great tire with 50k? Mileage warranty. Only downside is it doesn’t have the aggressive look but for treadwear and light off-road and snow traction it’s a great tire. 

Not a BFG KO2 fan?

Michilen LTX is a great tire with 50k? Mileage warranty. Only downside is it doesn’t have the aggressive look but for treadwear and light off-road and snow traction it’s a great tire. 

Loved the KO’s but not a big fan of the KO2’s, to much vibration, balancing issues.

Sent from above

32 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Loved the KO’s but not a big fan of the KO2’s, to much vibration, balancing issues.

Sent from above

I had KO2's for all of 1000 miles- My old Dodge wandered all over the place. No amount of balancing, road force or otherwise would make them tame. They sucked. 

Here's ST/Maxx's on my old Taco-

eWsGMS3.jpg

e0OEXWi.jpg

Hell of a great tire. That Taco was a billy goat with 6112's and 5160 Billies. Everything else about it sucked, but off-road is was a King. 

Edited by Threerun
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Threerun said:

I had KO2's for all of 1000 miles- My old Dodge wandered all over the place. No amount of balancing, road force or otherwise would make them tame. They sucked.  

You got a bad set or the techs didn't know what they were doing.  Mine are smooth as a jewel.

KO2s have gotten me out of muddy jams off road and ship water and everything else out of their treads better than any tire I've had before.  The are an excellent tire in the rain and plenty of folks on here love them in the snow.  I've done 80 mph through 2" of standing water in a torrential storm and the truck does not budge an inch.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

You got a bad set or the techs didn't know what they were doing.  Mine are smooth as a jewel.

KO2s have gotten me out of muddy jams off road and ship water and everything else out of their treads better than any tire I've had before.  The are an excellent tire in the rain and plenty of folks on here love them in the snow.  I've done 80 mph through 2" of standing water in a torrential storm and the truck does not budge an inch.  

I've actually never heard anything bad about KO2 myself. Just too $$$ for me

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Yeah the guy that tried to align my truck to fix it has owned his shop for over 30 years. D&D Auto alignment in Helena. He took my truck for 3 days and drove it, forced balanced them, aligned it- they just sucked. 

And and I remember his words- “These tires are for show, not go”. 

I made Costco take them back with a full refund and went elsewhere for Coopers. 

I run off road hard- BFG’s aren’t the best deal or tire out there. And that’s real testimony and 35 years of owning trucks, jeeps etc. 

1 hour ago, Big Whiskey said:

Yes, roughly 33.5"x12.2". There are actually quite a few AT's made in that size. Might be worth looking into. 

I actual think those falken in that size is the route I'm going... unless the shop I buy the lift from cuts me a deal on a different set from above. 

• Like 1

KO2’s are not any better than much of the AT tires out there. They’re driven through name and what the KO’s did to start the KO for BFGoodrich. I’ve owned a huge amount of KO’s but my first pair of the KO2’s was on my 16 DMax CC Z71, vibration at high speeds and drifted. My second pair were on my current 18CC SLT Z71 CC and it too had vibrations at high speeds but no drift, had them road forced 4-5 times between dealership and Discount Tire cause I really wanted them to work. Went with a second set and damn things vibrated again at high speeds. Went with Ridge Grapplers and the rest is history. I’ve also heard the same issues happening throughout the 4x4 groups and when I asked a buddy of mine what tire he recommends he said he was a BFGoodrich guy too but switched to Nitto or Toyo

Sent from above
  • Like 1

When I began shopping for a set of tires I went by the recommendations of folks on this and other forums and also by the reviews at Tire Rack by the people that graded the tire that they bough among others.  The KO2s were #1 or #2 I think in 2017 and now are listed as #3 by the customer reviews.  There's always a better tire out there somewhere and in rare occasions, some tires just don't work well with certain vehicle setups.

A long time ago I was a tire guy for a living and the best truck highway tire was and still is the Michelin LTX.  Curious thing mentioned above is drift with an AT tire, never experienced that before.

• Like 1