Revolver X4 Bed Cover on a 2019 High Country Short bed

I picked up a Revolver X4 bed cover for my truck earlier this week. This is an aluminum roll up type cover with a matte black vinyl top covering. My last cover on my 2015 Silverado was a 3 panel flip type, It was good but limited my use of the full bed, took about 22" of the front of my bed. This Revolver X4 is well made and super easy to install. I had it done in 25 minutes by myself. Rolls up and back out easy, locks tight and looks good. You get almost full use of the bed except where the cover rolls up, It only takes about 8" on top of the rails. Sorry for the dirty truck but the weather is crap here, 2 hours cleaning gets ruined in 2 seconds. I do give it a good spray down every few days to rinse the salt off, Illinois REALLY likes throwing salt! If anybody is thinking of putting one of these on themselves let me know. The directions are wonky and I have a much better way to do it and its faster.

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

Edited by BeardBros
  • Like 2

Looks great, I ordered one last week. I also am going from the 3 panel on my old truck. Those panels were just too heavy. First one was easy enough to lift but the second and third were too much unless you crawled into the bed to lift them.

Bak told me the Revolver X4 won’t interfere with the power up/ down tailgate. Has that been true for you thus far?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Looks great, I ordered one last week. I also am going from the 3 panel on my old truck. Those panels were just too heavy. First one was easy enough to lift but the second and third were too much unless you crawled into the bed to lift them.

Bak told me the Revolver X4 won’t interfere with the power up/ down tailgate. Has that been true for you thus far?

It works perfectly with the power tailgate. Here is my step by step for putting mine on. The directions that come with it make it more difficult than it needs to be and there are a couple things that need modified from their directions.

1. Open the box and unpack everything. Keep the box until you register the cover with BAK for the warranty. It has all the labels with the serial numbers on it.
  2. There are 2 weather-strips rolled up, a 3/4" and a 1/4". The directions say to use the 3/4" all the way across the headwall but when I went to tighten the cover down the 3/4" was way too tall for the cover at the headwall.  Clean any dirt off the headwall with alcohol or wax & grease remover. Now put about 3" of the 3/4" at each end of the headwall starting from the plastic cap inward. Keep the weather-strip on the farthest rearward flat part of the headwall.
  3. Install the 2 rails on each side of the bed like the instructions say, push them up against the headwall and clamp them in. Now use a razor knife and cut off the 3/4" weather-strip that is not under the rail.
  4. Now take the 1/4" weather-strip and put it on the headwall between the 2 rails. Keep the weather-strip on the farthest rearward flat part of the headwall.
  5. Now take the bedcover and roll it out on the rails and remove all the packing on it. Take the end of the cover an put the 4 bolts in the slots and put the end of the cover in place so the bolts go through the brackets at the end of the rail. Now put the washers and nuts on the bolts, just hand tight, they will get the final tighten later.
  6. With the bed cover all the way flat and the tailgate down, stand in front of the tailgate, lock the tailgate end of the cover down and pull the cover towards you. now close the tailgate softly by hand. You will see that this will push the bed cover towards the cab and put it in the right place for sealing against the tailgate.
  7. Lower the tailgate, get your tools and crawl in under the bed cover to the headwall without moving its position and tighten the 4 nuts that hold the headwall end of the bedcover to the rail brackets.
  8. Now crawl out of the bed and test everything. It should all work and seal up nicely.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looks good.  I had a Revolver X2 on my 2015 and liked it a lot.  Felt like it was one of the most secure covers out there.  It's held up well since 2015, but then I don't open and close it a lot.

Question:  How was the quality overall and does it leak?  The reason I ask is because I would like to put the X4 on my 2019 LTZ, but I've been reading some negative reviews around the quality of covers coming from Bak Industries.  Issues with the rails being cut wrong, rough unfinished edges, seals coming loose, or off when the cover arrived, etc.

Thanks for the excellent installation write up.  If I get this cover, I'll be sure to refer to it.

• Like 1

I just got mine installed today. I got the one listed in the GMC accessory catalog which is made by BAK.  Liked it better than the 3 panel BAK cover for how I typically use it. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:56 AM, wayles said:

Looks good.  I had a Revolver X2 on my 2015 and liked it a lot.  Felt like it was one of the most secure covers out there.  It's held up well since 2015, but then I don't open and close it a lot.

Question:  How was the quality overall and does it leak?  The reason I ask is because I would like to put the X4 on my 2019 LTZ, but I've been reading some negative reviews around the quality of covers coming from Bak Industries.  Issues with the rails being cut wrong, rough unfinished edges, seals coming loose, or off when the cover arrived, etc.

Thanks for the excellent installation write up.  If I get this cover, I'll be sure to refer to it.

I looked it over thoroughly and the only thing I could find is that they do not completely clean out the aluminum chips from whatever machining is done on the roll out cover. I just used compressed air and blew it all out and no more chips. Quality is good on everything and as for making the bed watertight I am sure if you were meticulous in the installation with the weather-stripping you could get it 99% sealed.

BeardBros, 

Thanks for the reply.  Most of the reviews I've been able to find date only to the beginning of 2018, so I was interested to see if maybe they had stepped up their game.  Looks like they might have.

Sounds like you're getting some brutally cold temps up there.  We're cold here near Cincinnati, but not like you.  Stay warm.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 7:09 AM, BeardBros said:

I looked it over thoroughly and the only thing I could find is that they do not completely clean out the aluminum chips from whatever machining is done on the roll out cover. I just used compressed air and blew it all out and no more chips. Quality is good on everything and as for making the bed watertight I am sure if you were meticulous in the installation with the weather-stripping you could get it 99% sealed.

I had the chips to. Otherwise perfect. Thank you again for the write up, you were spot on. Just have to go out with a hair dryer and get the rubber to lay down now. 20 degrees out is better than the -20 but still not warm enough.

5EB52478-715F-4D71-A8F2-40B0810EE3DC_zps

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been looking heavily into the BAK Revolver 4 or the Truxedo Sentry CT.

From what I am reading, the Sentry CT requires you to close the tailgate first, then shut the cover. You cannot close the tailgate with the cover locked in place. That's just a goofy design flaw, IMO. 

How does it work with the Revolver? Can you close the tailgate with the cover locked down and in place? 

Also, one thing I liked about the Sentry CT was that it locks down on the rails in the middle of the cover. Does the BAK have this feature or no? 

Thanks!

The Revolver doesn’t interfere with my power tailgate at all. The seal for it goes against the backside of the tailgate so it works nicely.

I wouldn’t buy anything that works like the Sentry if you have to leave it popped before shutting the gate. Too much hassle and I would imagine it also interferes with the remote release function too.

Not sure what you mean by locking in the middle.