In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Hello, 

i need some help with my 2016 Yukon Denali... so here is what’s going on and what I know... I took it in to the dealer 2 weeks ago to have the Magna Ride shocks replaced in the front.. I asked them if the rear air rides  were fine and they told me they were just fine, I  Imediately noticed a better ride when the front shocks replaced but started noticing a very loud sound every time I would go over any type of bump. So I called them back and ask them if they were sure that the rears were fine and they assured me they were. After some personal investigating I noticed that the driver side rear is very soft and bouncy and  and the passenger side rear is extremely stiff.  I did test the air compressor and seemingly working OK. Does anybody know why one shock would be very stiff and the other shock would be soft? Additionally I took it to a local suspension shop and they also told me that they were fine. I find it very hard to believe that one shock is stiff and one shock is soft. I noticed on the stiff shock that it looks like there is a little bit of dust buildup on it indicating a possible leak of fluid.

So I did another little test on my own and I took the truck over some speed bumps and the driver side rear when I went over the speedbump glided right over it and made no road noise I can’t say the same for the passenger side rear when I went over the speedbump it made very loud noise and it was extremely stiff . 

Edited by Aaron Young

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By nobaddays
      2016-2018 GMC Sierra Elevation grille that's been professionally painted black. This is a brand new OEM grille. I bought it from a member on here, but also decided to go with a different grille. The grille itself looks fantastic, the only reason for going with another grille is I have seen another truck identical to mine with the same grille, and I want to have something different... $500 shipped. Only asking what I paid for it. Current location: 54016

Thanks!

• By trucknewbie
      Denali Cluster Retrofit - A Review.

As I'm sure many other readers of this forum have done, I found myself going through some of the posts and checking out some cool things people here have done to their trucks. I happened to stumble on the Denali Cluster retrofit and from the moment I saw it, I had not stopped thinking about doing it. Being someone who opted for a non Denali truck but still paid a pretty penny, there was always a small itch in the back of my mind at the lack of a couple features that these trucks have compared to other lower priced vehicles with less prowess - the instrument cluster being so plain is one of them.

After eventually deciding to scratch that itch, I got in touch with Chris from White Auto Media (WAMS | http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com) about the Denali Cluster retrofit. Now, there are several posts with a wealth of information about this (main one attached below) and if you are interested in doing this modification, I highly recommend you start there and understand everything there is about selecting the right cluster for your vehicles model year.

After exchanging a few emails with Chris, he noted that I was able to have him source the cluster for me and take care of the programming. At the time, I was unable to locate the correct fitment of cluster for my vehicle and the sellers on eBay just seemed to be too sketchy, some had cracked plastic lens covers, and others just didn't provide enough information for the amount of money they were asking for. As a result, I went ahead and submitted my details to Chris via his website and ordered the cluster. It did take two weeks plus a handful of days for sourcing the cluster, programming it, and shipping it to my doorstep. Not only did Chris make it incredibly easy to do this modification, his kindness in sharing information about the entire process to ensure that I had the right fitment, right cluster, right programming, made this experience all the better. 

Once I got my hands on it, I was able to get it installed in my vehicle in about 10 minutes given the right driver to take out some 7mm bolts and a little bit of prying with my fingers. In the end, I have a fully functioning, slick looking, Denali Cluster. 

Install video: Phil Gamboa did a fantastic job documenting the install and how easy it was. My only deviation from the video instructions was not taking off the bottom panel where the hood release latch is located and I was safely able to install the cluster without breaking or scratching any components in the process. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLq-VVcEL8I

I attached a photo of my working dash to the post! I'm glad to have went this route and hopefully, I will find a way to give Chris my business again in the future!

@GTPprix

IMG_2532.HEIC
    • By midwestdenaliguy
      **SOLD**
      2016-2018 GMC Sierra Elevation grille that's been professionally painted black. This is a brand new OEM grille. I ordered it and decided to go with a different style grille, absolutely nothing wrong with this grille. Shipping to continental US is free, local pick-up near St Louis MO. Price is $500.

• By Z06JPB
      This has been an on-going research project of mine. I discovered when I inquired about having the Trail Boss (TB) factory lift kit (GM part# 84629787) added to my 2019 LT Z71, that I could not have the kit installed due to the secondary composite leaf springs on my truck. Upon further investigation, I found that ONLY the LT with 5.3L (and LT with 3.0 diesel and short box) had the composite leaf springs preventing the truck from having a TB lift added.

On the GMC side, I found out the Sierra Denali also uses the same leaf springs with composite secondary as the LT 5.3L.

My first impression was, “why the heck would GM do this?” Why wouldn’t the LTZ or High Country (HC) have the the composite leaf? Why would only the mid-level LT have it? The Sierra Denali has it and it’s a $60K+ truck. My LT averages around $45K. I might be a little upset as a LTZ or HC owner to find out my rear suspension is the same as on any Custom trim truck, or even, the base W/T model.

I’ve doing a lot of reading on composite leaf springs and there are more advantages to them than disadvantages. Though they are dimensionally bigger (thicker) than the steel counterpart, they weight a lot less, last longer, and offer better damping properties than steel. GM has had a good track record using composite leaf springs. The same technology has been used on the corvette since 1997 with the introduction of the C5.

Disadvantages are minimal, such as, they are more expensive to produce, can burn up in a fire, and in this case, can’t be further  bent or altered out of original specification. This must be the reason GM won’t allow the lift to be added to vehicles with a composite leaf. I’m sure the leaf could take the additional stress, GM engineers just want to play it safer than sorry.

So with this, the Silverado LT 5.3L (and LT 3.0 diesel with short bed) and the Sierra Denali are the only trucks to use the composite leaf. Though I’m disappointed I won’t be able to get the TB lift added, I’m now pretty stoked to find out my LT has more mechanical innovation put into the suspension and I didn’t have to spend $15K+ more for a Sierra Denali to get it.

However with this, it seems that if someone is looking for a top-end truck, the Denali would be the better choice over the HC which lacks the particular composite leaf spring feature, if that mattered to the buyer.

For reference, attached here are the GM compatibility charts for the Silverado and Sierra to see if you can add the TB lift kit. Also here is a link to the previous discussion about the TB lift kit where you can find more detail about installation and issues surrounding the composite leaf springs.