2000 Sierra stereo issue

I got a factory cd am/fm stereo in my truck. It was working fine the other day but yesterday I had no sound.

The unit powers up, but it has no output.

I started my truck this morning and the sound came on for a few seconds and then went silent.

Could the head unit be going out, do they have a factory amplifier and if so, could that be going bad?

Thank you

Bruce

could be a few things, most likely the radios components(radio its self) could be going out with what you describe. another option is to test the speakers. if a speaker is blown/shorted out the radio can go in to protect mode to help save its self.  in 2000 if you had the bose sound there would be an amp and there would be a bose sign on the door. 

This is not the Bose sound system, I wish it was, but it's not.

I was checking each speaker to hear if there was some sort of a crackling noise but they were all quiet and like I said, the sound came on this morning, so if worked for a few seconds. I also figure if a fuse was blown, it would not have played for those few seconds. 

This was just a freak thing, one day it was playing just fine, the next day, no sound.

Thanks