Something different on the forum. Both my 2018 Silverados perform like they should

• 2 months later...

I got my 2018 Black Silverado almost where I want it now. After dropping over $5000 into it since I bought it in December I'm digging it. 

Extras include Stainless steel steps, bed rails, mudflaps and hitch cover.

Bedrug, Access tonneau cover, Lloyd's carpeted floor mats, AVS aeroskin bug deflector, frame plugs. 

Katzkin leather seats, Borla S Type catback exhaust system, Range AFM Disabler, and the somewhat controversial Ceramic Coating.

There may be a level in the future also, not sure yet though since I have a shorter tuckunder  garage . It's a 6 1/2 foot high door. Sucks . Overall I'm happy with everything I've done to it and enjoy driving it now with the exhaust and especially since it finally warmed up a little. We just had almost a foot of snow fall last week but it's all but melted now.

As for my other 2018 Silver Silverado I've done a some of the same to it.

Stainless steel steps, bedrails, mudflaps.

Bedrug , Access tonneau cover,  frame plugs , Katzkin leather seats, AVS aeroskin bug deflector. I'm probably done with this one since my Wife sometimes drives it and couldn't care less if it had anything done to it. 

Not a hiccup from either truck. 5000 miles on Black Betty and 20,000 miles on the Silver Bullet 

Bring on the summer windows down cruising around good times.

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

What are frame plugs?

I believe they are the plastic plugs that go into the 4 holes in the frame under the bed. My signature has my build thread - it's the first post on the second page.

Edited by EpicLT

6 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

What are frame plugs?

These. There is two on each side. One in front of the rear wheel. One behind. ( Shown)

They cost about $20 on Amazon

Search frame plugs Silverado

15554659921951887316748981253250.jpg

Edited by dieselfan1

6 hours ago, njk4o5 said:

go drive 100,000 miles on either truck and report back to us lol

hell drive one for 70k i bet your view will change

I doubt it.

I'd have to say  most guys that have problems beat the piss out of them then wonder why it's a POS

These two are my 15th and 16th Chevy trucks I bought brand new and I don't anticipate any problems. I maintain them to the book and don't beat on them. 

Edited by dieselfan1

11 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

I doubt it

I'd have to say  most guys that have problems beat the piss out of them then wonder why it's a POS

Mine had 95k all bone stock then the trans went. Then i tossed on my 35’s and beat the shit out of it after i got a brandy new trans under warranty lol.

Id have to say most guys with 50k or less have no problems. If you actually drive these trucks they are total $hitboxes. Just park them in the driveway they never break haha

2 minutes ago, njk4o5 said:

Mine had 95k all bone stock then the trans went. Then i tossed on my 35’s and beat the shit out of it after i got a brandy new trans under warranty lol.

Id have to say most guys with 50k or less have no problems. If you actually drive these trucks they are total $hitboxes. Just park them in the driveway they never break haha

You better go buy a Ford then. I heard they are the best trucks on Earth ?

Edited by dieselfan1

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am new to the forums. I have been checking them out for about a month and this is my first post here.

I currently drive a 2017 Silverado LT Z71 Crew cab. I have had some minor issues since I purchased it but nothing major. The OnStar module died the first week I owned the truck truck and I had a vibration in the rear at highway speeds. The dealer replaced the driver side rear rim and the shake went away. The only gripe is the center jump seat which I am replacing with a center console which I got from @pgamboa. I think the center console will make this truck perfect for my needs. I may end up either powder coating the wheels or replacing them with black wheels down the road. 

My last truck was a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD SLE. It had 265k miles on it when I traded it in. This truck ran and drove like it has 30,000 miles on it. The only major issue was the fuel injectors went at 193k miles. GM had warranted the injectors to 200K and the all repairs were covered. I had a long commute at the time and diesel was close to $5 a gallon in my area. I was spending $500 - $600 a month on fuel which lead me to trading it in. I absolutely loved this truck and on occasion still miss it. 

I also had a 1999 GMC Sonoma SLS ext cab. This was one of the lowered versions with manual trans and I ordered it from the factory as "hot rod" as they would allow at the time. This was another flawless vehicle that had no issues. Unfortunately when my wife started a family this truck no longer fit our lifestyle. 

My ‘17 DC Z71 was a complete sh1tbox so I traded it after only 12k miles for a Ram. The Chevy was such a steaming pile I thought none of them could possibly be any different. Well, now I’m driving a ‘16 CC 4x4 that currently has 73k miles and no major issues. Dealer is replacing a bushing in the tailgate and the back up camera lens under warranty, no big deal. But it has NONE of the common shaking or trans issues my ‘17 had. Hell, each side of the bed on the ‘17 were actually different lengths, such that the tailgate couldn’t shut square. At 72k I replaced differential, transfer case and transmission fluids (and filter) and installed a drain plug in the pan to make future drains/fills easy. The stock 2004-r trans in my Olds has lived behind several larger engine swaps and decades of abuse and is doing fine (I did have to tank the trans to replace a cracked TC from too many neutral drops in HS in the 90s), I have no doubt that this ‘16 will last. As a lifelong GM guy who’s had a Ram and then an F150 in the last 2 years, this ‘16 has restored my appreciation for modern GMs.

Edited by dukedkt442