Silverado/Sierra vs. Tahoe/Yukon

Pickup or SUV?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Silverado/Sierra or Tahoe/Yukon?

• Silverado/Sierra
    • Tahoe/Yukon

This poll is closed to new votes

Of those 2 options I would get the truck. I know this is a GM forum, but you may want to also consider a Dodge Durango? Get the 5.7/hemi and you can tow 7400 pounds. Only reason I mention the durango is because it would fit your needs; v8 hemi for towing power, decent size, but smaller than a yukon/truck and should fit in the garage.

I agree with everyone else as you’d expect from a truck owner.

Also, I don’t think it’s been mentioned but the 2019 Tahoe is a kind of a lame duck. So if you had your heart set on one, you may be better off waiting until the all new 2020 model comes out as it would have the updated powertrain that the ‘19 Silverado has.

Performance wise, I was not a huge fan of the AFM 5.3 or the 6 speed that the current Tahoe would come with. Dependable, but clunky and sluggish. You’d be spending more to get less pretty much.

Edited by OnTheReel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, the wanderer said:

Of those 2 options I would get the truck. I know this is a GM forum, but you may want to also consider a Dodge Durango? Get the 5.7/hemi and you can tow 7400 pounds. Only reason I mention the durango is because it would fit your needs; v8 hemi for towing power, decent size, but smaller than a yukon/truck and should fit in the garage.

Two problems with the Durango: 

1. FCA continues to be the least reliable manufacturer on the planet.

2. To get a V8 with a reasonable rear axle ratio, you have to go up to the SRT, which is $78k.

2 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

I agree with everyone else as you’d expect from a truck owner.

Also, I don’t think it’s been mentioned but the 2019 Tahoe is a kind of a lame duck. So if you had your heart set on one, you may be better off waiting until the all new 2020 model comes out as it would have the updated powertrain that the ‘19 Silverado has.

Performance wise, I was not a huge fan of the AFM 5.3 or the 6 speed that the current Tahoe would come with. Dependable, but clunky and sluggish. You’d be spending more to get less pretty much.

Ignore this post. I misread yours the first time. 

Edited by Cpl_Punishment

Based on your needs, I think the truck is a better fit. Although if you do plan on keeping it for the long term, stepping up to the LTZ may not be a bad idea. It lets you grab some additional features without encoring the Denali price premium.

The Tahoe IMO is just too small. I love the BoF packaging, but due to the characteristics of it, it has inherently less interior room than a crossover of similar dimensions. The third row is vestigial. It really makes a lot more sense to step up to the Suburban if you want an SUV (speaking from experience). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mandalorian said:

Based on your needs, I think the truck is a better fit. Although if you do plan on keeping it for the long term, stepping up to the LTZ may not be a bad idea. It lets you grab some additional features without encoring the Denali price premium.

The Tahoe IMO is just too small. I love the BoF packaging, but due to the characteristics of it, it has inherently less interior room than a crossover of similar dimensions. The third row is vestigial. It really makes a lot more sense to step up to the Suburban if you want an SUV (speaking from experience). 

The RST has all the features I want and need so the LTZ doesn't seem worth the premium to me.

Suburban looks funny due to the length/ proportions to me and I would anticipate having the back seat in a Tahoe folded down most of the time anyway. 

5 hours ago, Texas Daddy said:

Sounds like you need one of these - it just fits in my 19' garage...c12764e8dd4636871147fddf6c654bf8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would buy one If they still made them, Damn Honda Ridgelines own the market now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

The RST has all the features I want and need so the LTZ doesn't seem worth the premium to me.

Suburban looks funny due to the length/ proportions to me and I would anticipate having the back seat in a Tahoe folded down most of the time anyway. 

Drive them both, Subs look kind of intimidating, but they are basically the same size as a crew cab truck, plus a lot of extra space. Would be the closest way to compare a truck and an SUV for overall space. 

• Like 2

I currently have both.  If money isn't the factor, get the SUV.   You can do almost everything except haul bulk items.   Just buy/borrow/rent a small trailer for those items.  Dirty, smelly, wet camp gear etc easily remedied by using plastic storage totes to keep in the back.   Firewood the same, coolers, etc.  I've hauled one sheet of plywood in 10 years in my truck.   Get what works for you based on what you actually DO, not what you MIGHT DO.  

The pickup will have lower ownership costs. 

If I had to pick one, I'd keep the SUV because that works best for what I do.   Good luck.  

• Like 2

Unless you regularly use a 3rd row, go with the full size PU. 

If you get the bench seat option, you can put a kid next to you in the front, wife in passenger seat, and then have 3 places across in the back for car seats or passengers. Thats enough for a lot of families. Then you get a bed to put anything you want. Throw a canopy on it and you have a versatile ride that can basically do anything including haul dirty stuff to the dump. That's the one thing you can't really do with the Tahoe. If you have more space and want to have a little trailer to do those types of jobs, it makes sense to get the SUV.

Basically, the full size pickup is the most efficient, do-it-all with one vehicle option, but if you have more than 2 kids you may want to consider the tahoe. 

The other option is to have a crossover for family trips, etc,

And then just have a double cab standard bed pickup for truck duty. 

With those two vehicles in the driveway you can pretty much do anything. 

We take the crossover on road trips where we want to get better mileage. 

Camping, adventures, where we are hauling dirty gear like boats, kayaks, we take the truck. 

Kids fit fine in the back of the double cab, even car seats. 

If I was going to have one vehicle it would be a crew cab long bed, or short bed if not enough space. 

Two vehicles enables a crossover and a double cab standard bed if you don't use the truck as your "daily" vehicle. IT works for us and the main benefit is you get a truck that is overall shorter but still has a standard bed and thus is much more useful than any short bed truck. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, protovack said:

Unless you regularly use a 3rd row, go with the full size PU. 

If you get the bench seat option, you can put a kid next to you in the front, wife in passenger seat, and then have 3 places across in the back for car seats or passengers. Thats enough for a lot of families. Then you get a bed to put anything you want. Throw a canopy on it and you have a versatile ride that can basically do anything including haul dirty stuff to the dump. That's the one thing you can't really do with the Tahoe. If you have more space and want to have a little trailer to do those types of jobs, it makes sense to get the SUV.

Basically, the full size pickup is the most efficient, do-it-all with one vehicle option, but if you have more than 2 kids you may want to consider the tahoe. 

The other option is to have a crossover for family trips, etc,

And then just have a double cab standard bed pickup for truck duty. 

With those two vehicles in the driveway you can pretty much do anything. 

We take the crossover on road trips where we want to get better mileage. 

Camping, adventures, where we are hauling dirty gear like boats, kayaks, we take the truck. 

Kids fit fine in the back of the double cab, even car seats. 

If I was going to have one vehicle it would be a crew cab long bed, or short bed if not enough space. 

Two vehicles enables a crossover and a double cab standard bed if you don't use the truck as your "daily" vehicle. IT works for us and the main benefit is you get a truck that is overall shorter but still has a standard bed and thus is much more useful than any short bed truck. 

I much prefer the storage options with the bucket seats so I'd be ok with not putting three up front anyway. We're only *planning* to have two kids, which is why the pickup is even on the table.

I would like to go double cab standard box but a lot of guys here recommended crew cab for kids. I think crew cab standard box might be a bit long for my driveway and maneuvering around the city. 

I barely have enough space for two vehicles, let alone a travel trailer, utility trailer, etc.

The truck will be my daily driver while the wife is only interested in a compact sedan as her daily (though I guessing she may change her tune once we have kids).

11 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Drive them both, Subs look kind of intimidating, but they are basically the same size as a crew cab truck, plus a lot of extra space. Would be the closest way to compare a truck and an SUV for overall space. 

Not much difference in length, though. The intent of going to an SUV would be primarily to get something that would be short enough to fit in the garage. 

Have a GMC sub and a GMC CC short bed. The Chevy Sub or GMC XL is short enough to fit in your garage. I can carry more in my Sub than the short bed of my CC. ( I have appliances delivered and trailer for brush). As for pulling a trailer, it will do better behind a Sub or XL, unless fifth wheel. 

I would not buy the shorter GM body on frame suvs. Either Sub or XL. 8 feet of fairly flat floor (protected). Leave off some of the really unnecessary options in order to get the Sub or XL down to an almost realistic price. The sub can be optioned at a lower price than the XL.  What ever. Enjoy the new house and future travel.

Edited by Stex