Tahoe/Yukon vs. Silverado/Sierra

Pickup or SUV?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Tahoe/Yukon or Silverado/Sierra?

• Tahoe/Yukon
    • Silverado/Sierra

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm looking for some advice so I'll give you truck experts the long-story-long version in the hopes of getting your honest input.

My wife and I just bought a house so I'm thinking now is the time to sell one of our compact cars and buy something more practical.  We want to eventually buy a travel trailer so I'm looking at full-size, body on frame 4x4s.  I was thinking a pickup truck but my garage is only 19'3" long, so I'd have to park it outside, which led me to look at full-size SUVs as well.  I'm in Canada, by the way (so don't freak out about the prices you see below).

Options/Features that are important to me:

Running boards

Heated front bucket seats with centre console

Ability to tow a decent-size travel trailer (~25-30', say ~5000+ lbs.) through the mountains in the dead of summer

After months of research, I essentially have it narrowed down to 2 vehicles (everything done based on 2019s for simplicity, though I'd be open to a new 2018 if I can still find one once I'm ready to buy):

Option 1:

Tahoe LT/Yukon SLT

4WD

5.3L V8

6 speed auto

Max trailering package with 3.42 rear axle ratio and air leveller suspension

~$71k (average between the two)

Option 2:

Silverado RST/Sierra Elevation

Crew cab short bed

4WD

5.3L V8 with DFM

8 speed auto

Convenience Package with Bucket Seats

Max Trailering Package with 3.42 rear axle ratio

Assist steps

~$54k

Other considerations:

This vehicle will be my daily but my commute to work is ~15 minutes within the city.  Also, we do quite a bit of camping in bear country so, during the period of time before we get a trailer and are still tenting, I would get a canopy if I went with the pickup (also to maximise space and avoid needing to shovel out the bed when it snows).

Advantages of the Tahoe/Yukon:

Should fit in my garage

Air leveller suspension

More room for passengers (the wife and I are only planning to have 2 kids but with an SUV I could theoretically take up to 7 kids somewhere vs. 4 in a pickup)

More space for stuff that you want to transport in the cab - large electronics and other sensitive/delicate items, groceries, etc.

Could buy this year.  If I decide on the pickup, I would either try to find a 2018 Sierra SLE if there are any left around here or wait until 2020 to let them work out the kinks with the new 5.3 DFM and 8-speed

Advantages of the Silverado/Sierra:

8-speed auto (2019) or 3.73 rear axle ratio (2018)

More space for gear/hauling stuff

Easier towing

Much lower price

Far fewer instances of vibration or bouncy ride causing motion sickness reported on here (though I'm aware of the need to check for the "Chevy shake" during a test drive)

I have also posted this question in the Sierra/Silverado section of this forum in case there are different folks with different perspectives cruising that section.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Cpl_Punishment

Two years ago I was asking myself the same thing, looking at Sierras and Yukons.  The prices used are flipped compared with new so I went with the Yukon XL as it was a much better value for me.

The XLs tow and ride better with their longer wheelbase.  You can still throw 3 rugrats in the back of a Crew Cab.  You can put a topper on the Sierra.

The DFM engine is new this year, for that reason I would not get it.  The 8-speed has a terrible reputation for reliability and smoothness.  The L83 with the 6L80 is a proven and more fuel efficient combination in either platform, the SUV or Pickup.  If you go this route, make sure it comes with 3.42 or 3.73 gears for the maximum towing capacity.  I would not go any lower than SLT trim.

The $20K difference is about the price of a nice travel trailer, get the pickup but an SLT with the L83 and 6L80 setup and max tow package.  Good luck!  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I would not go any lower than SLT trim.

The $20K difference is about the price of a nice travel trailer, get the pickup but an SLT with the L83 and 6L80 setup and max tow package.  Good luck!  

Which features of the Sierra SLT make it worth the extra cost in your mind? For 2018, the SLE has all the features I think I'll want or need. For 2019, I'd have to step up to the Elevation to get front bucket seats. 

3 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Which features of the Sierra SLT make it worth the extra cost in your mind? For 2018, the SLE has all the features I think I'll want or need. For 2019, I'd have to step up to the Elevation to get front bucket seats. 

Leather seats with heat and or cooling at minimum.  The SLT comes standard with the 5.3 and trailering package which has to be added to the SLE trim so that has to be checked for.  

Hey there, I recently went through the exact same dilemma but with the GMC Yukon XL vs Silverado. I personally went with the SUV even though I drive by myself 90% of the time. The reason I chose the Yukon XL was because I carry a lot of expensive gear that I wouldn't trust rolling around in the bed. The "waterproofness" of a shell/tonneau cover is also questionable as I park outside frequently. Secondly I regularly make a lot of long distance trips (give or take 500kms) and the SUV seems to offer a better ride quality due to its independant/multi-link rear suspension (don't quote me on that) but I know they're not leaf springs. As a side note, I don't think a pickup with a shell looks very aesthetically pleasing (but thats just me). Let me know if you have any other questions, I recently ordered a Yukon XL SLT. I'm also from Canada so the weather was taken into consideration too, as I like the fact that my cargo will also be climate controlled.

Edited by VictorLin0725
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I missed the utility of my old F150 but thus far everything from lumber to furniture has fit in the Yukon XL without even removing the seats.  A 60 inch tall dresser fits back there with the third row folded up.

The Yukon XL sure fits everything but lacks the functionality of carrying either dirty things or really tall objects. I'll just miss the look of the pickup and occasionally tailgating with friends in the bed or using it as a set up area for my gear and whatnot.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2019 at 9:43 PM, VictorLin0725 said:

Hey there, I recently went through the exact same dilemma but with the GMC Yukon XL vs Silverado. I personally went with the SUV even though I drive by myself 90% of the time. The reason I chose the Yukon XL was because I carry a lot of expensive gear that I wouldn't trust rolling around in the bed. The "waterproofness" of a shell/tonneau cover is also questionable as I park outside frequently. Secondly I regularly make a lot of long distance trips (give or take 500kms) and the SUV seems to offer a better ride quality due to its independant/multi-link rear suspension (don't quote me on that) but I know they're not leaf springs. As a side note, I don't think a pickup with a shell looks very aesthetically pleasing (but thats just me). Let me know if you have any other questions, I recently ordered a Yukon XL SLT. I'm also from Canada so the weather was taken into consideration too, as I like the fact that my cargo will also be climate controlled.

Nice choice. 

The suspension is:

Front:

independent coil-over-shock; twin-tube shock absorbers; 36mm hollow stabilizer bar; Magnetic Ride Control with LTZ models

Rear:

solid axle with 5-link coil-spring suspension, 28mm solid stabilizer bar; Magnetic Ride Control with LTZ models

Yeah I hear you - it'll feel weird driving a Suburban (or Yukon XL) mostly alone, but dude I need to haul stuff, and 5 or more people and a dog, and sometimes all of that at the same time. Can't do all that with a truck.

Hope you like your Yukon XL! :) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, S P said:

Nice choice. 

The suspension is:

Front:

independent coil-over-shock; twin-tube shock absorbers; 36mm hollow stabilizer bar; Magnetic Ride Control with LTZ models

Rear:

solid axle with 5-link coil-spring suspension, 28mm solid stabilizer bar; Magnetic Ride Control with LTZ models

Yeah I hear you - it'll feel weird driving a Suburban (or Yukon XL) mostly alone, but dude I need to haul stuff, and 5 or more people and a dog, and sometimes all of that at the same time. Can't do all that with a truck.

Hope you like your Yukon XL! :) 

Thanks! I'll rarely ever carry any passengers other than my dog. It'll be just a dry-cargo hauler. As a young male in my late 20's I hesitated on getting the Yukon XL because I thought the pickups seemed manlier and didn't want to look like someone in their late 40s with a wife and 4 kids haha. The non-flat load floor and lack of A/C vents in the rear of the Silverados were also a deciding factor.

• Like 1

On 2019-02-11 at 10:50 PM, sydneyman said:

I went with the sle and am adding leather and heated and cooled seats from katzkin for around $2500. I figure I'm saving around 10k doing it this way.

You mean just adding the leather right? I don't see a way for you to add heated/cooled function without going all out and buying a new set of seats and making all the wiring.

13 minutes ago, VictorLin0725 said:

You mean just adding the leather right? I don't see a way for you to add heated/cooled function without going all out and buying a new set of seats and making all the wiring.

No, I mean adding cooled and heated leather seats. It's called katzkon "degreez".

The SUV is probably more practical for every day driving and shuffling family around.

Plus the Ride and turning radius will be far more superior.

The turning radius is something I would also add to your list of advantages for the SUV.

If you need to tow more or need the bed, opt for the Truck. :thumbs:

4 hours ago, sealandsky said:

The "8 spd auto" noted above is NOT an advantage. I'd recommend avoiding at all costs.

2 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Roger. I'm hoping one of the two 2018 Sierras (5.3L, 6 speed) I have had my eye on don't sell before I'm ready to buy. 

I think the later models (2017-18) aren't nearly as bad. The 6 speed is definetly bulletproof but the newer 2019+ trucks are all using the 8 speed so I'm guessing they have become the standard and has improved. The 10 speed is just ridiculous and probaly just a marketing ploy lol. I do wish I could get the 6.2 L with the 6 speed though, that would be perfect.

• Like 2