Tahoe/Yukon vs. Silverado/Sierra

Pickup or SUV?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Tahoe/Yukon or Silverado/Sierra?

• Tahoe/Yukon
    • Silverado/Sierra

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, VictorLin0725 said:

I think the later models (2017-18) aren't nearly as bad. The 6 speed is definetly bulletproof but the newer 2019+ trucks are all using the 8 speed so I'm guessing they have become the standard and has improved. The 10 speed is just ridiculous and probaly just a marketing ploy lol. I do wish I could get the 6.2 L with the 6 speed though, that would be perfect.

6.2 with 6 speed and 3.73 rear axle. 

GM claims to have made numerous improvements to the 8-speed starting with the new-gen trucks, so I guess we'll see. I don't get the 10-speed. It doesn't even have as wide a ratio spread as some of its competitors, it skip shifts most of the time, all of which makes it more complicated than it needs to be, sooo.... They're not saying it's a marketing ploy, but that's exactly how I see it. I'm not really a fan of engineering for the sake of just looking better on paper, but I hope the 10-speed proves to be a winner.

Personally, I think 8-speeds are just about perfect if you get everything just right (shift quality, mapping, feel, durability, etc.), which of course is harder to do the more complicated something is. I think 6-speeds are about as good as long as the ratios and final drive are appropriate, and depends on the engine too. Diesels with their narrow torque bands can definitely use some extra gears, but modern turbocharged 6-cylinder gassers and V-8 engines with their super broad torque bands do just fine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, S P said:

They're not saying it's a marketing ploy, but that's exactly how I see it. I'm not really a fan of engineering for the sake of just looking better on paper, but I hope the 10-speed proves to be a winner.

Personally, I think 8-speeds are just about perfect if you get everything just right (shift quality, mapping, feel, durability, etc.), which of course is harder to do the more complicated something is. I think 6-speeds are about as good as long as the ratios and final drive are appropriate, and depends on the engine too. Diesels with their narrow torque bands can definitely use some extra gears, but modern turbocharged 6-cylinder gassers and V-8 engines with their super broad torque bands do just fine.

I hate how every truck manufacturer is going through so much hassle to make things look good on paper. 10 Speed is not needed in any senario, the 6 speed has proved itself to be a great transmission. Don't even get me started on that AFM joke, I'm sure no truck owner wants that in their engine. They took an engine that stood the test of time and threw in something that will save you 2 MPG in place of a reliable engine with solid lifters. I wouldn't be shopping for a Suburban or Silverado if I wanted to save fuel, the sad thing is the fuel cost you do save goes directly back into inevitable repairs down the road. I think the plan from now on is to have an older reliable truck and then lease everything else going forwards as I don't see anything I would like to own down the road...Heck my favorite truck right now is the 2006 Silverado 2500 Duramax, that thing was a tank.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:06 PM, VictorLin0725 said:

I hate how every truck manufacturer is going through so much hassle to make things look good on paper. 10 Speed is not needed in any senario, the 6 speed has proved itself to be a great transmission. Don't even get me started on that AFM joke, I'm sure no truck owner wants that in their engine. They took an engine that stood the test of time and threw in something that will save you 2 MPG in place of a reliable engine with solid lifters. I wouldn't be shopping for a Suburban or Silverado if I wanted to save fuel, the sad thing is the fuel cost you do save goes directly back into inevitable repairs down the road. I think the plan from now on is to have an older reliable truck and then lease everything else going forwards as I don't see anything I would like to own down the road...Heck my favorite truck right now is the 2006 Silverado 2500 Duramax, that thing was a tank.

On the contrary, I'd argue that fuel-saving technologies such as direct injection and variable displacement systems are what's keeping these big V8 lumps relevant in this era of engine downsizing and stricter fuel economy standards. Ford sold out in favor of their EcoBoost engines, which only have better fuel economy on paper. I like that I can have my cake and eat it too with the GM V8 engines, and I probably wouldn't have bought one of these trucks without the fuel economy they get. It's just a shame they didn't get the technology right on the first go-round, but who does? Maybe the Japanese, but certainly not GM.

These are 2nd generation AFM engines now, and the newest ones that can do dozens of different configurations and not just V8 or V4 are 3rd generation. I think they resolved most everything after the 1st gen AFM (DoD) engines. These trucks are old enough now that if there were going to be major issues in that area we'd be hearing about them. And unlike some other manufacturers, I think GM has a pretty good record on generally avoiding intake valve deposit issues from direct injection too. Can't move forward without technology, and technology, especially new ones, will never be perfect. I'm sure the Toyota Sequoia is more reliable overall than any GM truck. It's also too small and only gets 17 mpg highway. LOL. Six of one, half dozen of the other pretty much. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, S P said:

On the contrary, I'd argue that fuel-saving technologies such as direct injection and variable displacement systems are what's keeping these big V8 lumps relevant in this era of engine downsizing and stricter fuel economy standards. Ford sold out in favor of their EcoBoost engines, which only have better fuel economy on paper. I like that I can have my cake and eat it too with the GM V8 engines, and I probably wouldn't have bought one of these trucks without the fuel economy they get. It's just a shame they didn't get the technology right on the first go-round, but who does? Maybe the Japanese, but certainly not GM.

These are 2nd generation AFM engines now, and the newest ones that can do dozens of different configurations and not just V8 or V4 are 3rd generation. I think they resolved most everything after the 1st gen AFM (DoD) engines. These trucks are old enough now that if there were going to be major issues in that area we'd be hearing about them. And unlike some other manufacturers, I think GM has a pretty good record on generally avoiding intake valve deposit issues from direct injection too. Can't move forward without technology, and technology, especially new ones, will never be perfect. I'm sure the Toyota Sequoia is more reliable overall than any GM truck. It's also too small and only gets 17 mpg highway. LOL. Six of one, half dozen of the other pretty much. 

I can agree with you on that. The only problem I have with the AFM is that it doesn't save you that much fuel. If I can get 5-10 mpg off I'd take another look at it but I'd be lucky to get 2 mpg better. Just looking at the stats I don't think the benefits outweigh the cons just "yet" maybe in a few more years. I honestly don't think people would mind having fuel thirsty V8s, the most common complain I hear from friends and people online is the Auto stop start/Ecoboost on the Ford, AFM on the GMs, and MDS on the Rams. Seems like this V8 oriented market couldn't give 2 s**** about fuel economy haha. Look at all the 4Runners, Tacomas, and Tundras Toyota is selling, their fuel economy is even lower than full sized trucks (16-17MPG) and they're selling like hot cakes because they're reliable. Personally I'd rather have piece of mind that my engine won't fail on me over saving 2 bucks at the pump :D.

Yes ford has turbo engines, they still have a non turbo V-6 and of course the 5.0. No cylinder deactivation. Given the right gearing and engine the fuel mileage is there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 10:31 AM, VictorLin0725 said:

Look at all the 4Runners, Tacomas, and Tundras Toyota is selling, their fuel economy is even lower than full sized trucks (16-17MPG) and they're selling like hot cakes because they're reliable. Personally I'd rather have piece of mind that my engine won't fail on me over saving 2 bucks at the pump :D.

I'm really not someone to care so much about fuel economy, but Tundras and Sequoias get single digit MPG in town or towing, in US gal. 

• 3 months later...

We have a 2016 Yukon SLT for the wife, 5.3/6spd, 3.42 max tow pmg)

I’ve had a 17 Silverado with 6.2/8spd and an 18 Sierra with 5.3/6spd.

Yukon pros:

great on fuel

easy to park (it’s short)

Yukon cons:

Second row has much less legroom than the crew cab pickups

Third row is ridiculous, good for kids only

Cargo space is limited compared to a truck

Expensive (compared to truck)

Truck pros:

More utilitarian

Way more legroom in back seat

Cheaper

Truck cons:

No vents in rear seat area for heating/cooling (on my 14-18’s, 19’s might have it?)

Expect 1-3mpg less fuel economy

Longer wheelbase, not as easy to park in the city

I love the 6.2, got great fuel economy with it and the power blows away the 5.3, hated the 8spd in my 17. I really liked the 6.2/6spd in my 14 Sierra Denali. To be avoided, in my opinion. I’m excited about the new 10spd, picking up a new Silverado this week with the 6.2/10spd and trading in the wife’s Yukon on a Tahoe Premier RST with the same.

Edited by Camstyn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yukon xl  slt with hd trailering package.

Suburban lt with lux pack and max trailering package.

For either add navigation to the radio . Great if you travel across canada or usa.

In Canada  at least in ontario one advantage the yukon xl or subruban  has over a pickup truck is the  mto classifies  it as a suv which will save you on annual plate registration  fees. If you have a pickup  you can only have personal use plate for some 4000tow pounds or less. Little known . Youll need a yellow sticker increased fees and inpsections to tow more  and all the hassle that comes with that. With an suv you can tow the whole 8000 pounds on a personal use plates provide  you never  remove  seats from the suv. Great thing is you  can fold them down haul many things.

Pickups and trailer combined weight of over 9920 pounds  needs a yellow sticker. Other jurisdictions may have similar rules. The suvs are exempt from all this because  they have seats that dominate  the cargo  room

Edited by Mikey999
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Mikey999 said:

Yukon xl  slt with hd trailering package.

Suburban lt with lux pack and max trailering package.

For either add navigation to the radio . Great if you travel across canada or usa.

In Canada  at least in ontario one advantage the yukon xl or subruban  has over a pickup truck is the  mto classifies  it as a suv which will save you on annual plate registration  fees. If you have a pickup  you can only have personal use plate for some 4000tow pounds or less. Little known . Youll need a yellow sticker increased fees and inpsections to tow more  and all the hassle that comes with that. With an suv you can tow the whole 8000 pounds on a personal use plates provide  you never  remove  seats from the suv. Great thing is you  can fold them down haul many things.

Pickups and trailer combined weight of over 9920 pounds  needs a yellow sticker. Other jurisdictions may have similar rules. The suvs are exempt from all this because  they have seats that dominate  the cargo  room

I don't think that's a requirement in Alberta but it's good information that I'll have to check out.

If the Yukon XL/Suburban were the same price as the Sierra/Silverado, that's what I'd buy in a heartbeat, if only because it would fit in my garage and I can see scenarios where it could be convenient to have 6-8 seats (but not many and it's not strictly a requirement for me).

We just got a 2019 Silverado High Country for me and a 2019 Tahoe Premium RST for the wife, both have the 6.2 and 10spd.

Hate to say it but the truck is nicer for a lot less money. She’s a little jealous. If you are ok with the extra length of the truck, I wouldn’t think twice.

Edited by Camstyn