IRS on the GM Triplets

Really i am not lying when i say i can literally count on a single hand the amount of time's i have seen one of these 70 plus grand suv's towing anything more than kids or groceries. Irs is a good 5 years late to the fullsize gm suv lineup imo, about damn time!

• Like 1

I've sat in or checked out just about every truck-based SUV, including the new Expedition. Don't expect IRS to be like a miracle pill and suddenly make an unworkable 3rd row perfectly usable and comfortable. A lot more to it than that, but that's not stopping a lot of manufacturers from using this as a marketing ploy because "in theory" it might give you more space even if it doesn't in practice, and from trying to make people think that anything with a live rear axle "donkey cart suspension" surely must have a totally unacceptable ride and an inferior amount of space. 

In reality, anybody who really needs to put people in the 3rd row of any of these "standard length" truck-based SUVs regularly aren't, because they're all a joke. They buy a car-based SUV like a Mercedes GLS or Buick Enclave, or just get a Suburban/YukonXL/Escalade ESV, Expedition Max, or a minivan.

I went to check out the Ford Expedition MAX at the car shows the other year expecting to be overwhelmed by how much more space it had than the Suburban, only to realize the opposite. Dunno where all the space went, but there's nowhere near enough cargo space, and the seating really didn't feel all that much roomier despite IRS and what Ford "claimed" about their specs. Meanwhile, nobody has any complaints about our new Suburban in any row, it has plenty of cargo space for all of our gear, and the ride is still acceptable despite the donkey cart live axle rear suspension and 22" wheels. 

That said, I would welcome an IRS setup on the GM SUVs, mainly for the lower "potential" load floor and "possibly" being able to swallow a bit bulkier cargo through the rear hatch along with making things easier to load, but hope they don't break anything else while doing it. IRS for the sake of IRS just so you can say you have it while not actually making good on any of those marketing promises while "potentially" going backwards elsewhere isn't my flavor of engineering. Guess we'll find out.

• Like 2

GM is placing all of their stock in Trucks..... both light and heavy duty, as well as large SUV's

As a result Sedans are being sent to the graveyard.

Plants that produce them are closing.

Just wait until Gas hits the $4 per gallon mark again. 

On 2/18/2019 at 2:15 PM, Sierra Dan said:

Despite the ride, IRS will add a heavy amount to the Price Tag.

Look for these SUV's in some trim levels to exceed the 100K mark.  Yikes! :sigh:

Hehehe the Escalade Platinum is already there! :noway:

Escalades have topped the 100k mark for a couple of years now.

Tahoe, Suburban and Yukon also exceeding the mark is Insane.

Even the new Ford Harley Davidson Edition F150 is 97K :shakehead:

The 2020 GM HD's are expected to reach the 90K mark in Denali and High Country.

• Sad 1

GM is placing all of their stock in Trucks..... both light and heavy duty, as well as large SUV's
As a result Sedans are being sent to the graveyard.
Plants that produce them are closing.
Just wait until Gas hits the $4 per gallon mark again. 

Same thing happened right before great recession, and gm went under (but was saved). Remember how hot hummer was then? They need to be smart enough to switch gears quickly when it happens to meet demand, and not be caught with their pants down again...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk