Zane

This is the Super Bowl ad General Motors didn't want you to see

7 hours ago, No Tyme said:

Mary Barra was paid 22 Million last year from GM and in turn GM is putting 14,000 out of work this year. Maybe GM should rethink someone’s salary.

Compared to other automotive CEOs.. that sounds a bit low..

But I loved the commercial.  Just reinforces my signature. 

• Like 2

2009: The federal and Ontario governments provided $13.7 billion to GM and Chrysler (with about $10.5 billion for GM) to bail out the auto industry amid the economic downturn—and essentially save the company. They received equity stakes the car-makers in exchange, which were later sold, while some loan portions of the bailout were repaid. Still, in a 2015 report for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, policy analyst Mark Milke estimated that Ontario and federal taxpayers took a $2.8 billion loss on GM’s portion of the bailout. Documents obtained last summer by CBC through access to information suggest that as of March 2017, Ottawa was still owed $1.2 billion by auto sector, though GM’s share was not disclosed.

I love my Mexico build GMC, but damn this feels shitty

conan.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Styles_888 said:

2009: The federal and Ontario governments provided $13.7 billion to GM and Chrysler (with about $10.5 billion for GM) to bail out the auto industry amid the economic downturn—and essentially save the company. They received equity stakes the car-makers in exchange, which were later sold, while some loan portions of the bailout were repaid. Still, in a 2015 report for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, policy analyst Mark Milke estimated that Ontario and federal taxpayers took a $2.8 billion loss on GM’s portion of the bailout. Documents obtained last summer by CBC through access to information suggest that as of March 2017, Ottawa was still owed $1.2 billion by auto sector, though GM’s share was not disclosed.

I love my Mexico build GMC, but damn this feels shitty

I agree with your statement. I did luv my 2014 Silverado Crew 4X4 (built in Mexico) but luv my 2013 Avalanche (also built in Mexico) better. We have been a GM family for many years since the wife is employed there. We felt loyalty to the brand but this is a slap in the face to ALL Union members, USA and Canadian born. 2017 Equinox (built in Canada), 2017 Cruze (built in Ohio) and 96 Corvette (built in Kentucky) all plated and insured here in Michigan. Thank you GM for your loyalty to your dedicated workers... NOT!

GM doesn't want the truth to come out. What else is new? :)

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      11-26-2018 

General Motors is expected to announce soon that the company will move to eliminate certain car models and close some plants that build the cars. This news seems to jive with our recent reporting about a workforce reduction among salaried employees. 

Reuters is reporting that the vehicle cuts will be significant and that some models will be eliminated. Separately, CTV News Canada is reporting that its sources say the Oshawa Plant in Canada that builds the Impala will be closing its operations. GM presently employs about 2,800 salaried and hourly union employees at this car plant. “While the union does not have complete details of the overall announcement we have been informed that, as of now, there is no product allocated to the Oshawa Assembly Plant past December 2019,” Unifor, the union that represents the Oshawa plant's hourly workers, said in its statement. “Based on commitments made during 2016 contract negotiations, Unifor does not accept this announcement and is immediately calling on GM to live up to the spirit of that agreement.”

In related news, Toyota is also planning to reduce the number of car models it produces. The Financial Times reported this week that Jim Lentz, North America chief executive officer, said the company was “taking a hard look at all of the segments that we’re competing in. We have got a large number of passenger cars,” he said. “You would expect that to come down over time.” These changes would mirror Ford's plan to eliminate all but a couple of car models in favor of crossovers and trucks.  

Update: GM has confirmed the Oshawa plant news and added to its "Unallocated" list the Lordstown, Ohio and Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant in Detroit. In addition, GM is not planning any products for the Baltimore Operations in White Marsh, Maryland, and the Warren Transmission Operations in Warren, Michigan. GM's announcement focuses on re-aligning future product focus on electric vehicles. The announcement includes,
      - "GM is evolving its global product development workforce and processes to drive world-class levels of engineering in advanced technologies, and to improve quality and speed to market. Resources allocated to electric and autonomous vehicle programs will double in the next two years."
      - "GM has recently invested in newer, highly efficient vehicle architectures, especially in trucks, crossovers and SUVs. GM now intends to prioritize future vehicle investments in its next-generation battery-electric architectures. As the current vehicle portfolio is optimized, it is expected that more than 75 percent of GM’s global sales volume will come from five vehicle architectures by early next decade."

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      6-18-2018

In preparation for an expected surge of truck orders and purchases from buyers, GM is ramping up the production capabilities of the all-new GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado.

The Oshawa, Ontario Canada plant that builds the trucks will be adding a second shift to begin to build inventory. The Oshawa plant is the final paint and assembly location for double cab trucks. These are “re-imported” trucks that GM builds in Indiana, ships to Oshawa, and in many cases, then re-imports them to the United States. Oshawa, Ontario is just across Lake Ontario from New York State (north of Buffalo and Rochester). It is only about sixty miles from both and about 100 miles by land to Niagara. GM employs roughly 9,000 workers in Canada.  

Source: Automotive News

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      5-9-2018

Following our recent post, “Own a Silverado? Have a Beard? Want to Be In a TV Commercial? Here’s Your Chance!,” the folks at Jigsaw casting in Toronto reached out to us to let us know that, somehow, the source we used for the casting call for Silverado owners had some bad information. Sylvia Lee from Jigsaw let us know today that Jigsaw is looking for Silverado owners, but the beard thing is not part of the required qualifications. Here is Jigsaw’s casting call info for those who might be interested. You can view the full details along with a direct link to Jigsaws post here:

Jigsaw Casting Ltd. is seeking Silverado Owners from across Canada for a National Ad Campaign!
      Description
      We are seeking Canadian Individuals / Families who drive a Chevrolet Silverado for a TV & Online commercial! Does this sound like you or someone you know?
      Looking for:
      Silverado “Helpers” - Seeking individuals or families that have stories about using their Silverado to help
      out/give back to their communities or to a cause within Canada. Must own a Chevrolet Silverado.
      Examples of what we are looking for (But do not limit to just these):
      A) Driving across the province to another town to haul sandbags to prevent flooding.
      B) Hauling heavy equipment to aid with fighting forest fires.

If selected, you will be compensated as a professional actor
      (+ travel, accommodation and meals)
      For your reference, here is a previous Chevrolet Campaign of this nature:
      Submission Deadline: May 11/18 (However the earlier you apply, the better your chances!)
    • By Zane

Zane Merva
      Executive Editor / Publisher, GM-Trucks.com
      2/5/2018

FCA was ready to use multiple commercial spots during this year's Super Bowl to promote the heck out of the all new 2019 RAM. Instead, it has ignited a firestorm over the use of a speech by Martin Luther King, Jr as the background track in a commercial to sell trucks. 

The NY Daily News says "Dodge’s Super Bowl ad distorts MLK’s message of service to sell trucks"
      Business Insider's headline reads: People hate Dodge Ram's Super Bowl ad, which uses a Martin Luther King speech to sell trucks
      The New York Times: Martin Luther King Jr. Commercial for Ram Trucks Is Swiftly Criticized
      ABC News Just Put Up An Article From The Associated Press:  Ram truck ad using MLK speech draws backlash

A topic discussing this ad on r/Politics on Reddit shows that some people are very outraged.
      - I got excited to hear mlk. I was not thrilled it about the selling trucks thing. Terrible idea. - /u/Pm_me_hot_sauce_pics 
      - Tried sending Dodge an e-mail of my disgust but their server must have crashed. I sure hope thousands of others had the same intent. - /u/seness
      - I wanted to ****ing spit at my TV over this shit. There is no American for whom it would be more offensive to use to sell a product with than Dr. King. - /u/RussianTrollHunter 
      - This just in: corporate America doesn't and never will give a shit about civil rights, truth, or justice. Unless of course that somehow involves you paying them on a generous bi-weekly basis 3/4 of your paycheck, then they'll totally pretend to give a shit about civil society. - /u/Adwokat_Diabla

Watch the ad and see the controversy for yourself. Than let us know what you think below. 

Although this ad is getting all of the attention, it wasn't the only ad RAM showed during the Super Bowl. Here's two more that are not getting any flack.....yet. 

And the most popular...

General Motors on the other hand, didn't run a Super Bowl ad this year for the 2019 Silverado. 

So, what do you think? Did RAM step in it? Or is this all overblown?
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      10-19-2017
      In the end, the union that represents hourly workers at the Cami plant in Ontario Canada dropped the requirement that the Cami plant be the lead plant for Equinox, GM's hottest non-truck vehicle. That move would have been the best guarantee of future jobs at the location. So, like many things, the strike ended up being all about money. The Candian workers will get a raise and a bonus, which has the practical effect of moving them even further from the lower-paid Mexican workers that threaten their jobs and the Candian plant's future. GM did throw in a perq that will made it a bit harder to move the plant, but it is small potatoes.  “We weren’t able to secure a lead production letter from General Motors, but we were able to improve some of our programs that would soften the event if be designated the lead plant for Equinox if there in fact is a layoff or closure in the future,” Unifor Local 88 President Dan Borthwick said in a phone interview with Bloomberg. The strike lasted a full month.