Sick of people flashing their high beams at me. Anyone else with 2016+ LTZ have this problem?

Ok I lowered mine from 41"drivers to 39 drivers and 43" passengers to 41" at 25 feet and this is what it looks like at about 60ft from the wall. Climbs about a foot up the wall at 60ft. Is this too low? I didn't get a before shot.dd9b856da28e10f73710b90efc93a7b1.jpg

25 minutes ago, m3n00b said:

Ok I lowered mine from 41"drivers to 39 drivers and 43" passengers to 41" at 25 feet and this is what it looks like at about 60ft from the wall. Climbs about a foot up the wall at 60ft. Is this too low? I didn't get a before shot.dd9b856da28e10f73710b90efc93a7b1.jpg

Here's my two cents, at 60mph it takes our trucks about 140 feet to stop if something jumps out and you slam on the brakes (see link below). You feel safe knowing your headlights are 1 foot off the ground at 60 feet? Seems too low to me.

Without blinding oncoming drivers I want as much light down road as possible with my low beams. I travel some back roads that are busy enough with cars that it's almost impossible to drive with high beams (as soon as you turn them on, here comes a car). Tree line is right next to the shoulder and deer are notorious for popping out. Had a couple close calls just in the 10 months I've lived out here.

Your situation could be different though, my thoughts are based on my situation.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/02/texas-truck-showdown-2016-mpg-braking.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember this is America where our automotive lighting laws are from the 1960s. Compared to Europe and other places our lighting requirements are from the Stone Age. 
Having owned a lot of Chevy trucks dating back to designs from the late 60s I personally believe the headlights were more of a warning to others that you were trundling along then to actually illuminate your path. I wouldn’t go back to sealed beams in any respect for any reason. 

GM used to have to upgrade the headlights to reflectors + bulbs on the trucks they sold in Europe back in the 80s and early 90s to comply with European spec. European car makers never had to do that here. 

I love my 2011 Silverado but was extremely disappointed with the factory headlights. Keep in mind I work 12’s and 3-4 days a week drive to work in the dark 45 minutes and half the year drive home in the dark as well.  I upgraded the highbeams to a 9011 bulb and tried a myriad of higher light output bulbs for the H11’s. The 9011’s are great. Lots more useable light without any sort of HID flamethrower effect going on. 
The Silverstar ultra’s and some of the GE nighthawks were OK low beam upgrades but I was burning through them in under a year. Yes, I knew not to touch the bulbs. I just put a lot more mileage on in the dark Than most people do. Finally, last spring I followed some advice on the SilveradoSierra forums And spent $100 on some OPT7 LED Fluxbeam X H11 bulbs. These have a much higher light output but a perfect flat line where the light does not go above. LED headlight technology has evolved a lot from the stuff 10 years ago with diodes pointing in every direction blinding everyone. I love mine and while they are a whiter, brighter light they are not blinding. 

I get flashed a couple times a week tops. I believe we live in a North American society where people have been conditioned to expect less than great performance from their headlights and also that any light brighter than the pathetic ones their vehicle emits is either someone with their highbeams on or some damn kid with those flamethrower HID headlights.
I’ve also noticed that a lot of the time the people flashing me are cars and they have dingy older yellow headlights.
I curse at people with HID bulbs blowing out massive amounts of light, off road light and LED bar lights turned on while on the road, misaligned headlights, and always-on-high beam riders as well. However, when someone comes up at me in a newer vehicle with modern, capable, fairly state of the art headlights systems I don’t get mad because their light output is better than mine (used to be).

I used to have a picture of my headlights on the wall of my garage showing a nice flat beam pattern. I think my toddler had her way with my phone and that picture along with some others is gone.  I’ll try to get one if anyone wants to see. 
8A96F3D8-A0CD-4159-BE48-7B6A27219206.thumb.jpeg.148d1eb8043990970b58152ff0f98603.jpeg

“EUROPE” I travel overseas every year, they’re crazy about LED’s and lighting up the road. With our trucks, the problem is you’ll get flashed just for being higher up than others. In Europe everyone drives around in average size/height cars so no one is really higher than the other. I was in a Porsche with very bright lights and never did we get flashed cause we weren’t aiming into someone’s windshield.

Sent from above

Here's my two cents, at 60mph it takes our trucks about 140 feet to stop if something jumps out and you slam on the brakes (see link below). You feel safe knowing your headlights are 1 foot off the ground at 60 feet? Seems too low to me.

Without blinding oncoming drivers I want as much light down road as possible with my low beams. I travel some back roads that are busy enough with cars that it's almost impossible to drive with high beams (as soon as you turn them on, here comes a car). Tree line is right next to the shoulder and deer are notorious for popping out. Had a couple close calls just in the 10 months I've lived out here.

Your situation could be different though, my thoughts are based on my situation.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/02/texas-truck-showdown-2016-mpg-braking.html
I agree with you. I'll see how they work tomorrow morning then adjust them again

23 hours ago, midwestdenaliguy said:

Ok so I found an empty un-lit road (hard to do in the city) and noticed that in ouod see pretty well out a couple hundred feet but signs didn't light up like I would like so raised both lights another whole turn. Now it climbs about 18" up the wall at 60ft. Will check again tomorrow morning 19a39b0012e5b83418fa42deba0e0c6f.jpg017c5e59d7b64e8b5568c9974e0a786f.jpg

Edited by m3n00b

30 minutes ago, m3n00b said:

Ok so I found an empty un-lit road (hard to do in the city) and noticed that in ouod see pretty well out a couple hundred feet but signs didn't light up like I would like so raised both lights another whole turn. Now it climbs about 18" up the wall at 60ft. Will check again tomorrow morning 19a39b0012e5b83418fa42deba0e0c6f.jpg017c5e59d7b64e8b5568c9974e0a786f.jpg

Not as bad as I thought it would be on the road, but if signs are not lighting up that well you did the right thing. Try driving around at your current height for a while and see if you get flashed. 

• Like 1