Sick of people flashing their high beams at me. Anyone else with 2016+ LTZ have this problem?

I lowered mine as well. Just felt like an **** after coming back from a 2500 mile trip with a good amount of night driving and getting flashed more than I cared to (with the truck 100% factory setup and stock). I havent spent that much time driving at night since, But I don't think i've been flashed since then. I think my 2018 headlights are GREAT at lighting up the road, much much MUCH better than any other vehicle we have or I drive for work, so I had no issues dropping the beam a little. 

I should note, I just have a 2LT, no LTZ, so i'm not 100% sure how different the headlight is. I know the LTZ has the 2nd row of running light LEDs, but not sure on low beam setup. 

Edited by rah7777777

I will say I have gotten flashed more in this truck than any other vehicle I've owned. It's only when I'm on an incline though and they are hitting the light pattern just right (usually as they crest the hill). You'd think they have common sense and can see my truck is not at a normal driving angle, but I think these lights are so bright on low beam that they quickly hit their brights thinking mine are in high beam. I double checked my height/angles per the 25' method and all was good. I do a lot of back road driving with deer so I'm hesitant to lower mine. And how much lower would I have to go for them not to appear bright on an incline? Don't want to put myself/family in danger to avoid the rare occurrence of someone hitting my light pattern just right on an incline.

Which trucks come with LED headlights?  I thought it was either halogen with halogen fogs or HID with LED fogs?   If you retrofitted LED bulbs into halogen reflectors, that's probably your problem.   

My HIDs in my 18 had to be adjusted to aim lower right from the factory   I was getting flashed all the time.   And I could easily see the cutoff was making it's way over the hoods of oncoming cars.    I never get flashed any more, and there is still plenty of light down the road.  

As was said, with the projectors, the lows are just as bright as the highs, there is just a shutter in place in the projector to cut off the upper part of the beam.    If the lower part of the beam is still hitting oncoming drivers in the eyes, it will look exactly as bright as the highs would. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Which trucks come with LED headlights?  I thought it was either halogen with halogen fogs or HID with LED fogs?   If you retrofitted LED bulbs into halogen reflectors, that's probably your problem.   

My HIDs in my 18 had to be adjusted to aim lower right from the factory   I was getting flashed all the time.   And I could easily see the cutoff was making it's way over the hoods of oncoming cars.    I never get flashed any more, and there is still plenty of light down the road.  

As was said, with the projectors, the lows are just as bright as the highs, there is just a shutter in place in the projector to cut off the upper part of the beam.    If the lower part of the beam is still hitting oncoming drivers in the eyes, it will look exactly as bright as the highs would. 

Ltz and high country come with LED bulbs that are very very bright. Best stock lights I’ve ever encountered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could also be cars that are flashing you. No way around it sometimes, lower car vs stock height truck isnt going to match up sometimes.

When i pull behind people at lights, sometimes i turn my lights off because its right in their face  #Physics :dunno:

19 hours ago, aseibel said:

I agree that the LED's suck for everyone in front of you. You have measured your light bulb height, and the height of the cutoff line on a wall 25' in front of your truck to know that the light is below horizontal? If you are just assuming they are aligned correctly because your truck is stock, that may not be true. I wish police would ticket people for driving around with lights that are aimed too high.

However yours are aimed, if you are getting flashed by oncoming traffic frequently it's because you are blinding them. Don't be a d%ck and flash them back, check your aim and do something about it.

For the a-holes that think its funny to flash back- realize that your high beams are no brighter to an onlooker than your low beams when viewed from below the cut-off line. Unlike the old two filament headlight where it really was dim/bright, the new lights are the same brightness, with the only difference being they cut off the top half of the beam for "low beams". If you don't believe me, go experiment tonight.

Thanks for the reply.  Measured this morning. The driver's is level at 41" and the passenger's seems a little higher, maybe 43".  How much lower should each be below the horizon?

Edited by m3n00b

1 hour ago, 6_2LTZ said:

Keep the fog lights on so they'll know you don't have the high beams on. 

Good in theory but many people use a diode to jump the system allowing the fogs to be on with or without the highs...that and if the oncoming driver is being blinded, they probably cant even see the fogs or they don't care because they are being blinded by miss-aimed headlights even on low.

I've been dealing with it since 2011. Car or truck when going uphill. Yes I lower my lights by adjusting them. Yes I flash back so they stop, cause they don't, nothing to do with being an ****. If they have fogs, running lights on I don't flash. If you need to fix your running lights to run with highs, get an eye test I'm 63 I don't. It's the only way to tell if there running their lows going up hill. The headlights on these newer vehicles are a safety hazard. I'd rather have sealed beams again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, m3n00b said:

Thanks for the reply.  Measured this morning. The driver's is level at 41" and the passenger's seems a little higher, maybe 43".  How much lower should each be below the horizon?

at 25' you want it to drop a bit, especially in a truck.   Otherwise at best it's level and 41" is higher than most driver's eyes in cars.   Then your truck bounces, road rises and falls, beams will be too high almost all of the time.   I would try a 4" drop at 25 feet, see how you like that.   Takes 5 seconds per side to adjust with just a phillips head. 

2 hours ago, 6_2LTZ said:

Keep the fog lights on so they'll know you don't have the high beams on. 

Nobody knows that.  Most people have no clue that unmodified vehicles will automatically shut those non-fog lights of when switching to high beams.  (those are not fog lights- they are additional driving lights, despite what your owners manual may say)