Finally Bought a New Truck

Finally decided to buy a new truck after having my 2002 Silverado 1500 2 wheel drive since new, bought in April of 2002. I hope this new one is as reliable as my 2002 is which I still have and is used as a daily driver. If anyone is interested, here are the repairs performed to the 2002 and what is still original and has not needed repair. Currently have 155K miles and I do all the work myself and keep all records.

Other than normal maintenance items like filters, the following have been replaced,

Both front wheel bearings

Only had 1 alignment performed

Brake Pads front/rear-Twice

A/C Mode Control Damper Actuator

A/C Recirc Control Damper Actuator failed and I wired it to stay closed about 12 years ago.

Driver Side Door Lock Switch

Spark Plugs/Fuel Filter

Serpentine Belt and A/C Compressor Belt

A few fog light bulbs

Worst issue was I had my transmission go out at 90K miles. Sun shell failure inside trans. I had a shop remove/rebuild trans and has been fine since. I believe some 02 models had issues with sun shell failures.

Knock on wood, still have original alternator, fuel pump, water pump, power window/lock motors and the A/C has never needed Freon and has never been touched. Still have original plug wires and coil packs. The 02 models and others around this age had many complaints of cold start piston slap. Mine did have this but it basically has gone away after all this time and runs great. I do all my oil changes at 3K miles using Castrol 5w-30 GTX and AC Delco filter. Uses about 1 quart per 3K miles.

For the new truck, I bought a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500, Z71, 5.3, 8 Speed, SLT Premium Plus package. Nice to have steering wheel controls, blue tooth, heated/cooled seats and other nice features that didn't exist in 2002. Other than obvious improvements between these trucks, I wish the new one had a few items that I know they quit installing on these over the years such has glove box lighting, under hood lighting and lighting around the floor board. My 02 you can still rev the engine under the hood with the throttle cable.

RyanBab, I remember you having a truck similar to my 02 that was blue back then. I believe yours was a 4x4. Anyways again I hope this one performs as well as my old one has.

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

• Like 8

Congratulations on the new truck as well.  It is a major change and nice comfort one at that. 

I too, upgraded from a 2002 Silverado but mine is a 4x4.  Still have it as well.  You put a little more in yours than I did mine.  My maintenance items.

1. Steering wheel clunk, changed out linkage

2. Drive shaft clunk, changed out to a nickle plated yoke

3. Alternator at 150k

4. Rear brakes,  left rear caliper froze so replaced both at 70k.  Still on original front brakes.

That is pretty much it other than normal wear and tear items like the belts and spark plugs/wires. It just turned over 187k yesterday.

I also came from a truck of that vintage to my 2018!  Big change for sure.  

Greatmizzou, my 2000 4wd had the 5.3/3.73 and my 2018 has a 5.3 /3.42. 

Big difference in power, especially first gear.  The 18 isn't "fast" but it's not slow like I felt my 2000 was.  1st gear is suprising in my 2018, after 1st it's just fine, but doesn't have a ton of kick, definitely more than the 00 though.  

Edited by Yondu

Very nice! I love the 2018 Silverado and Sierra. Very good choice!

I had an 02 Silverado up until I bought my 18 silverado a little while back. My 02 was still in really good shape and never gave me big issues, but after 10 years of begging the wife finally let me get a new truck,  I had to jump on it haha. That and when I saw the prototype pics of the 2019's I couldnt wipe the sour off my face for an hour, so it was now or never (or keep saving for a Tundra)

Nice looking truck!  Like the Blue.  I would have got the blue but I was buying at year end and they didn't have any optioned out the way I wanted for the price I could spend.  Interesting to see the 2002 next to the 2018.  They sure have changed a lot in 16 years.  Only options I have so far are a tri-fold hard bed cover and a BedRug.  May be the only options I need.  Hopefully 2018 will be a very good vintage.

11 hours ago, Yondu said:

I also came from a truck of that vintage to my 2018!  Big change for sure.  

Greatmizzou, my 2000 4wd had the 5.3/3.73 and my 2018 has a 5.3 /3.42. 

Big difference in power, especially first gear.  The 18 isn't "fast" but it's not slow like I felt my 2000 was.  1st gear is suprising in my 2018, after 1st it's just fine, but doesn't have a ton of kick, definitely more than the 00 though.  

Funny you should say that. My 00 is every bit as fast as my 18 is or my 15 was.  All had a 5.3.  The 18 should be faster with the 8 speed and the deep 1st gear, but I think torque management is holding it back.  I still have both and alternate driving them.  Drove the old one today in fact. 240k on it and still drives pretty well.  

17 hours ago, titanium10k said:

I hope this new one is as reliable as my 2002

It will not be.  Sad to say.  The 2002 trucks were a ton more simpler vs all the computer controlled and extra crap they have had to put on the new stuff.  The more stuff they add, the more there  is to go wrong.  That being said- you got a beautiful new ride there.  I love it. 

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:40 PM, greatmizzou said:

Did your 02 have the 5.3?  How’s the power feel in the new one?

My 02 does have the 5.3 and 3.73 rear. The new one is 5.3 and 3.42. The new one is definitely faster and does want to rev easier than the 02. You have to push the 02 to get above 2500 RPMs and the new one will easily hit that or 3K with not much effort. I do have the eight speed trans which shift nicely.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:53 AM, Colossus said:

It will not be.  Sad to say.  The 2002 trucks were a ton more simpler vs all the computer controlled and extra crap they have had to put on the new stuff.  The more stuff they add, the more there  is to go wrong.  That being said- you got a beautiful new ride there.  I love it. 

Thanks. Time will tell how this one holds up.

• Haha 1