Good price for a ‘19 Silverado?

Jorge18

9 hours ago, steve8 said:

$895 dealer fee?

Run Forest run.

48 minutes ago, UGADawgs said:

I don't ever care what the dealer, battery, tire, or toilet paper fee is. I only care about the out the door price when comparing dealer pricing on the same vehicle config.

Agreed. If this dealer sells the car for $1,000 less than the other dealer you’re still netting money on your part. 

On 2/4/2019 at 10:35 PM, lrtexasman said:

I would go to cars.com and search the same truck within 250 miles to see what the lowest advertised prices is.  That is what I would shoot for, do not get duped into add-ons and take the rebate to use GM financial, refinance in 30 days with you credit union.  Usually dealer will ask you to keep finance for 90 days so they get paid.  I typically do because 90 days interest is usually not very much.  I am actually finding 19 Crew 4x4 LT Z71 cheaper than crew customs.  Guessing rebates are higher on the LT Z71 trim.  

This.

You're looking at aprox 35k pre tax. Better to look at it this way/easier to compare.

Tax % won't change no matter where you buy it, but if you pay less you get taxed less.

I would buy something/somewhere else.

Good luck.

Edited by steve8

On 2/4/2019 at 10:35 PM, lrtexasman said:

I would go to cars.com and search the same truck within 250 miles to see what the lowest advertised prices is.  That is what I would shoot for, do not get duped into add-ons and take the rebate to use GM financial, refinance in 30 days with you credit union.  Usually dealer will ask you to keep finance for 90 days so they get paid.  I typically do because 90 days interest is usually not very much.  I am actually finding 19 Crew 4x4 LT Z71 cheaper than crew customs.  Guessing rebates are higher on the LT Z71 trim.  

Yeah that's not as bad as Hudiburg.  They were insisting on $40k minimum financed at 7.1% for 6months.  They even said they normally only require 50%, but for me, $40k.  Really made me feel special...

I would have considered it seriously if I could finance $20k or less at that rate to keep the interest down.

I financed mine 100%, so assuming I financed it 100% with GM Financial, 6months would have been $2200 in interest.

With my CU's 3.25% that same 6months is $1000, so the difference was $1200.  It was a $1000 incentive IIRC.

Do yourself a favor and plug in the numbers here:

https://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/loan-calculator.aspx

Look at the amortization schedule and know for sure what it will cost you in total interest compared to your other options.

Also consider how much the hassle is worth even if you are still winning in the deal, or what if you procrastinate (like me) and don't refinance in 90days...

I'm almost 90 days in the truck a this point and the deal was done, Done, DONE almost 90 days ago too.  Nothing left to handle.. it's a relief for me I'll say.  That's worth something.

Edited by Daverado

5 hours ago, Daverado said:

Yeah that's not as bad as Hudiburg.  They were insisting on $40k minimum financed at 7.1% for 6months.  They even said they normally only require 50%, but for me, $40k.  Really made me feel special...

I would have considered it seriously if I could finance $20k or less at that rate to keep the interest down.

I financed mine 100%, so assuming I financed it 100% with GM Financial, 6months would have been $2200 in interest.

With my CU's 3.25% that same 6months is $1000, so the difference was $1200.  It was a $1000 incentive IIRC.

Do yourself a favor and plug in the numbers here:

https://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/loan-calculator.aspx

Look at the amortization schedule and know for sure what it will cost you in total interest compared to your other options.

Also consider how much the hassle is worth even if you are still winning in the deal, or what if you procrastinate (like me) and don't refinance in 90days...

I'm almost 90 days in the truck a this point and the deal was done, Done, DONE almost 90 days ago too.  Nothing left to handle.. it's a relief for me I'll say.  That's worth something.

I think your math may have been off a bit. By taking the $3,500 rebate on a 40k scenario you would be financing $36,500@7%, which amortized on a 60 month loan is a $722.74 payment with $630 interest after 90 days and gives you a payoff of $34,962. Not taking the rebate and financing 40k@3% on a 60 month loan is a $718.75 payment with $295 in interest after 90 days and gives you a payoff of $38,139. So by taking the $3,500 rebate @ 7% for 60 months and refinancing at 3% after 90 days for 56 months to keep payment schedule even your new payment would drop to $685.44 month for the rest of the loan. 

Regarding the length of the loan it doesn’t matter squat what the finance guy tells you, it is what GM puts in the contract. Last I looked you had to keep the loan for 90 days to avoid losing the rebate. I would call GM financial to get clarification before going to the dealer. 

Edited by lrtexasman

1 hour ago, lrtexasman said:

I think your math may have been off a bit. By taking the $3,500 rebate on a 40k scenario you would be financing $36,500@7%, which amortized on a 60 month loan is a $722.74 payment with $630 interest after 90 days and gives you a payoff of $34,962. Not taking the rebate and financing 40k@3% on a 60 month loan is a $718.75 payment with $295 in interest after 90 days and gives you a payoff of $38,139. So by taking the $3,500 rebate @ 7% for 60 months and refinancing at 3% after 90 days for 56 months to keep payment schedule even your new payment would drop to $685.44 month for the rest of the loan. 

Regarding the length of the loan it doesn’t matter squat what the finance guy tells you, it is what GM puts in the contract. Last I looked you had to keep the loan for 90 days to avoid losing the rebate. I would call GM financial to get clarification before going to the dealer. 

Naw, my math was on a $64k loan, which was my 100% figure.  The dealer wanted a minimum of $40k financed on my deal where 50% was their standard.  My goal was 100% or better since rates were already off their lowest.  Financing any less might get me a better bottom line on the truck deal, but would also tie up more liquidity then I'd prefer which adds its own cost.

It wasn't a $3500 rebate for me either, it was more like $1k or $1500 back in November.

The bottom line though is that financing as little as possible to qualify gets you the most out of the incentive.

As for what the finance guy says, I value my integrity, so it matters to me.  If I know they expect my to keep the deal for some amount of time even though the contract doesn't say it, that's a commitment I'm making when I sign just the same.

There are plenty of deals to be had if you look, and I ended up at a dealer that suited me better both personally and financially, so that's a win all around.  No need to be duplicitous.