Headers/cats question

What’s up everybody, new to the site. I have a 16 Silverado and running the 1 7/8 TSP headers with off-road y and no cats. Running the 24” magnaflow to help keep things a little tame (I have a newborn and close neighbors lol.)

My question is, would adding the catted y pipe help with the strong fume smell, along with the sound? The truck sounds a little shitty with the magnaflow, but sounded like rusted glass packs when at WOT when I had the Carven TR on. 

What kind of smell are we talking? Really gassy? If that's the case has it been tuned at all? Cats will help but it's not supposed to smell like excessive unburned Gasoline out the exhaust even with an ORY.

Edited by jaxcam02

14 hours ago, jaxcam02 said:

What kind of smell are we talking? Really gassy? If that's the case has it been tuned at all? Cats will help but it's not supposed to smell like excessive unburned Gasoline out the exhaust even with an ORY.

It’s just the smell of fumes, not straight up gas. I have had it tuned by a good company (legacy motor sports here around Houston area) and the truck runs just fine, running just a simple tune (still just running basic unleaded.)

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 1:02 PM, Jared Walters said:

What’s up everybody, new to the site. I have a 16 Silverado and running the 1 7/8 TSP headers with off-road y and no cats. Running the 24” magnaflow to help keep things a little tame (I have a newborn and close neighbors lol.)

My question is, would adding the catted y pipe help with the strong fume smell, along with the sound? The truck sounds a little shitty with the magnaflow, but sounded like rusted glass packs when at WOT when I had the Carven TR on. 

Yes 100%. What size exhaust pipe do you have Y--->

Try a Flowmaster Pro series. Awesome sound when you get on it but pretty low rumble at idle and at cruise speeds. This is my cold start (-2 degrees) .Warms up fast. 

15 hours ago, DenaliX14 said:

Yes 100%. What size exhaust pipe do you have Y--->

Try a Flowmaster Pro series. Awesome sound when you get on it but pretty low rumble at idle and at cruise speeds. This is my cold start (-2 degrees) .Warms up fast. 

I have 3” piping. I’m not necessarily wanting to make it louder, just want a more crisp clean sound when I’m driving. Right now (and this is just my ears and hearing from the inside) it sounds like an old POS and I’m assuming it’s from not having any cats. 

If you’re able to eliminate DOD/AFM and get some cats you will stop the smell and get a  immensely consistent sound. 

^^^^This

I’m putting cats back on my Long Tube, X-Pipe, dual exhaust specifically because the fumes. It’s not just the smell, the unconverted gasses are much more toxic. I have a 4 year old and I’m not willing to expose her to that daily. The cats should also help quiet things down for the neighbors.

The CATS are going to cut down the emissions. That’s what they do. Inherently, they will cut the sound down too. Duel exhaust isn’t going to stop the emissions 

I think you might have misread my post. I’m agreeing with you. I am putting cats back on it to address the fumes and noise. Dual exhaust isn’t pertinent to the fumes, I’m just letting the OP know I have an aftermarket catless exhaust.

9 hours ago, 300 Blackout said:

I think you might have misread my post. I’m agreeing with you. I am putting cats back on it to address the fumes and noise. Dual exhaust isn’t pertinent to the fumes, I’m just letting the OP know I have an aftermarket catless exhaust.

Ah! I see. Sorry for my confusion. I did the same thing and used Cal Cats from Summit Racing. They were a bit larger but they helped keep my higher flow and kept it quieter. Also, No P0 codes with my long tube headers or performance reduction. 

https://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=Walker CalCat Universal Catalytic Converters 81724

Ah! I see. Sorry for my confusion. I did the same thing and used Cal Cats from Summit Racing. They were a bit larger but they helped keep my higher flow and kept it quieter. Also, No P0 codes with my long tube headers or performance reduction. 

https://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=Walker CalCat Universal Catalytic Converters 81724

Those are some interesting looking cats! I went with spun metal substrate “high flow” Flowmaster cats. I’m not connecting my rear O2 sensors. I mainly just want to convert some of the gasses and keep the system flowing well. I’m tuning out the rear O2 sensors soon. If I was looking not to throw codes those cal cats look like serious business.