Data Dump - 2020 Silverado HD Specs, Specs, And More Specs

Gorehamj

Unless my math is bad or I mistyped, the overall gear ratios are very similar to the 2018 Ram 3500s...Hence the "highway" rear gear shouldn't be a big deal (gas reverse being the exception); plus it means you end up with a beefier pinion gear.

(Also assumes my Ram data sources were accurate.

ratios.jpg

Edited by Wolverine350R

Gear ratios all go out the window with taller, or shorter tires. Just sayin' ...

13 hours ago, Big Whiskey said:

Even with more power, I'm not too excited about dropping the 4.10 for 3.73, especially when keeping the 6-speed and going to a taller factory tire size. I think 4.10 (or 4.30-4.56 for that matter) should be an option. 

I could be wrong, but going to 3.73 gears on the gas leaves the window open to add the 10 speed to it. 

What is worth noting though, is that with the 3.73 and the new engine, the tow ratings are no lower than 14,500lbs, which was the highest rating on K2 HD. 

I could be wrong, but going to 3.73 gears on the gas leaves the window open to add the 10 speed to it. 

What is worth noting though, is that with the 3.73 and the new engine, the tow ratings are no lower than 14,500lbs, which was the highest rating on K2 HD. 
Makes you wonder if they held back on previous years lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jsdirt said:

Gear ratios all go out the window with taller, or shorter tires. Just sayin' ...

From what I can see they both use a 235/80R17, so stock to stock that still stands.  But I am curious how you mean that exactly; if I put 40" boggers on both trucks that doesn't change the effective gear ratio at the hub.

Interestingly, if you load the 4.10 rear from the Ram in the Chevy diesel on that spreadsheet, the top gear overall is the same with first dropping to 18.6:1.

Edited by Wolverine350R

It absolutely does change the ratio. Bigger tire circumference rotates slower at any given speed = taller gearing, smaller tire rotates faster = lower gearing. 

Stock trucks will usually come with tires of the same circumference regardless of wheel size. I said that mainly as an option to expensive gearing changes, although it will make the truck look funny.

2 hours ago, Wolverine350R said:

Unless my math is bad or I mistyped, the overall gear ratios are very similar to the 2018 Ram 3500s...Hence the "highway" rear gear shouldn't be a big deal (gas reverse being the exception); plus it means you end up with a beefier pinion gear.

(Also assumes my Ram data sources were accurate.

ratios.jpg

Rams poor performance with the 6.4 Hemi has been blamed on poor axle ratios / gear ratios in the transmission.  Power-wise the new truck should perform like the old one that had 4.10 gears.  Had GM gone with the 10 speed in the gas engine they would have no reason for 410 gears, 373 would be perfect in my opinion, even 3.42s would be great for someone who wasn't towing but needed the payload

Your chart also proves that while Rams first gear isn't as aggressive, there's tighter spacing between gears which is ideal for towing.

1 hour ago, newdude said:

If they would have added the 10-speed, then yes, 3.73's would probably be fine. However, while they're keeping the 6-speed, they should have kept the 4.10 too. 

And I hope this doesn't sound rude, but the new tow ratings are irrelevant to me. I'm never at max towing or max payload, since moving up to the HD platform. I care more about how the truck drives. And, I really like having a truck that will hold the top gear at highway speeds, instead of downshifting or unlocking the TC at every little hill or headwind. That was one of the first things I noticed when upgrading from a 5.3/6-speed/3.42 truck. The new HD looks like it will probably fit 35's without any trouble, so that'll just make things worse with the 3.73. 

1 hour ago, Wolverine350R said:

From what I can see they both use a 235/80R17, so stock to stock that still stands.  But I am curious how you mean that exactly; if I put 40" boggers on both trucks that doesn't change the effective gear ratio at the hub.

Interestingly, if you load the 4.10 rear from the Ram in the Chevy diesel on that spreadsheet, the top gear overall is the same with first dropping to 18.6:1.

1 hour ago, Jsdirt said:

It absolutely does change the ratio. Bigger tire circumference rotates slower at any given speed = taller gearing, smaller tire rotates faster = lower gearing. 

Stock trucks will usually come with tires of the same circumference regardless of wheel size. I said that mainly as an option to expensive gearing changes, although it will make the truck look funny.

Read my post again - at the hub.  Yes, a larger/smaller tire will change the ratio at the ground, but your first post implied (to me at least) that the trucks must be running significantly different tire sizes stock.

1 hour ago, Yondu said:

Rams poor performance with the 6.4 Hemi has been blamed on poor axle ratios / gear ratios in the transmission.  Power-wise the new truck should perform like the old one that had 4.10 gears.  Had GM gone with the 10 speed in the gas engine they would have no reason for 410 gears, 373 would be perfect in my opinion, even 3.42s would be great for someone who wasn't towing but needed the payload

Your chart also proves that while Rams first gear isn't as aggressive, there's tighter spacing between gears which is ideal for towing.

I don't understand the reason not to have the ten speed on the gasser either (in the small trucks the gasser has and 8 and the diesel has a 6 speed).  My main reason for my initial post was that I think people get to caught up in the asle ratios without looking at what may have changed in the transmission ratios, and I was attempting to show that another HD truck line was similar in the overall drivetrain ratio.