In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Tim McMullen

GM 09-06-04-026O

This is my first post to this site but I have been a member for almost a year.

I am considering buying a tuner from either Black Bear or Diablo for my 2017 Silverado. However, I am concerned that if warranty work is needed GM will not honor the warranty if they detect a non-GM tune had been installed on the vehicle even though it may have been overwritten with the original factory tune.

In doing research, I found that Diablo and Black Bear say that their tunes are not detectable once the tune is replaced with the factory tune.

After doing even more research, I found that GM can read a list of calibrations that were performed using devices commonly found at the dealership as described in GM 09-06-04-026O.

Does anyone know if Black Bear or Diablo can prevent GM from actually seeing evidence of their tunes given the information shown at the link shown above or if the information in this bulletin.

This is my first post to this site but I have been a member for almost a year.

I am considering buying a tuner from either Black Bear or Diablo for my 2017 Silverado. However, I am concerned that if warranty work is needed GM will not honor the warranty if they detect a non-GM tune had been installed on the vehicle even though it may have been overwritten with the original factory tune.

In doing research, I found that Diablo and Black Bear say that their tunes are not detectable once the tune is replaced with the factory tune.

After doing even more research, I found that GM can read a list of calibrations that were performed using devices commonly found at the dealership as described in GM 09-06-04-026O.

Does anyone know if Black Bear or Diablo can prevent GM from actually seeing evidence of their tunes given the information shown at the link shown above or if the information in this bulletin.

I would like to know this too I want to get one

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I was told by a long time Chevy tech, that they can easily see if anyone has performed any type of tune to a car, even if it went back to stock before going into the dealer. 

I don't think anyone can give you an answer, just non binding opinions. Because to invalidate your warranty, they need to show the tune cause the problem being covered. Since they can decline first, and wait for you to start legal action, it's kind of a toss up. I have always tuned my trucks. My dealer has never said anything about it. I have no idea why. They just don't.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, ftwhite said:

I don't think anyone can give you an answer, just non binding opinions. Because to invalidate your warranty, they need to show the tune cause the problem being covered. Since they can decline first, and wait for you to start legal action, it's kind of a toss up. I have always tuned my trucks. My dealer has never said anything about it. I have no idea why. They just don't.

Because most dealers don't care. It only matters if the problem may be related to the fact that a module was programmed with non GM software. Wheel bearing failure? Don't care. Seat motor failure. Don't care. Engine failure, trans failure. You bet they care. The dealer could be on the hook for the repair if they fix it and GM requests the software history and it has been  programmed. I'm not saying  don't program, just be aware of potential consequences. GM builds and warranties all of the components to withstand specific loads etc. Altering the software can cause premature wear or failure. I don't blame GM for denying claim for non GM software. Again I'm not saying all software changes will destroy your eng/trans but they haven't necessarily tested for that condition. In the end it's your call. Program or not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tbarn said:

Because most dealers don't care. It only matters if the problem may be related to the fact that a module was programmed with non GM software. Wheel bearing failure? Don't care. Seat motor failure. Don't care. Engine failure, trans failure. You bet they care. The dealer could be on the hook for the repair if they fix it and GM requests the software history and it has been  programmed. I'm not saying  don't program, just be aware of potential consequences. GM builds and warranties all of the components to withstand specific loads etc. Altering the software can cause premature wear or failure. I don't blame GM for denying claim for non GM software. Again I'm not saying all software changes will destroy your eng/trans but they haven't necessarily tested for that condition. In the end it's your call. Program or not.

Probably the best answer anyone could give 👍

Agreed, a perfect synopsis.

Do what you wish, assess the risk, make a decision based on that risk assessment.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Ok. But they can also deny warranty coverage based on abuse or misuse. Its written in there. So whether you tune or not is not the boundary in law. It is if they can prove that the modification caused the problem and it is not material defect. If you remove the tune, and the problem persists it either might mean the tune physically broke something, and they can prove it, or it's not the tune exclusively causing the problem. If they deny your claim, it up to lawyers to sort it out. Even then you might win or lose. This is true with or without a tune on every claim. It's up to them and then a good lawyer or argument on your part.

you can buy another ecu either new or used, send it out to get programmed, and save the stock ecu for warrantee...just need to by-pass the VATS  which is able to be done on HPtuners...

Just had GM pay for $3500 in warranty work and not a word was said about tuning history. I returned everything to stock prior to dropping it off, but either way GM didn't request anything. My guess is that it's total hit or miss and most likely depends on the relationship GM has with that dealer. My issue could not have been caused by a tune so that could be it too (internal coolant leak). It's a risk no matter what, so your call at the end of the day.

I have a DiabloSport i3 tuner with a DiabLew custom ECM and TCM tune. Worth every penny.