Oil change - 5.3 L83

The search function on Tapatalk sucks. I know this has been brought up. On my 2014 I always did oil change fills to 8.5 quarts, GM came out and said only 8 was needed, but the damn manual still says 8.5.

I've stuck to 8.5 even on my 2017. Anybody still doing 8.5?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

I always go by the mark on the dipstick.  I use the recommended amount as a starter and if that fills it...fine. If not I add until the stick says full. And, if I remember correctly, it's always somewhere between 8 and 8.5 quarts.

Fill to 8quart No more. There are reasons it was changed to 8quarts that are not listed in bulletin. The dipstick is set to old spec and if you know that isn't right why read it and then add what you know is wrong? In that case you have made your mind that the amount you believe is better and you may as well do what you like anyways. 

• Like 1

Why would they have a dip stick with the wrong mark. That would mean 95% of the gm trucks out there are over filled because no one changes their own oil anymore. And you know oil change places go by the dipstick.

42 minutes ago, Gagliano7 said:

Why would they have a dip stick with the wrong mark. That would mean 95% of the gm trucks out there are over filled because no one changes their own oil anymore. And you know oil change places go by the dipstick.

I'm not trying to dispute your statement but...most oil change places use a pump system that is hooked up to a big drum of oil (bulk) and set a dial to what the vehicle calls for quantity wise. They only check the stick to make sure it registers or to make the customer feel better LOL. Not all but most, my brother owns a couple Jiffy Lube franchises. If the vehicle calls for 6 quarts of 10W30 they grab the 10W30 hose, set the dial at 6 quarts and hit the fill button. It's fast, less mess and no wasted oil.  They usually only use the dipstick for actually checking the oil when a customer brings it back for a top-off. I will say that if a particular oil is requested or brought in by the customer (it happens) they will use the stick too because they have to open the quarts and manually pour it in...trust me they save whatever isn't used too as it can be used later or they give it back to the customer if requested . If I was going to have someone else do my oil changes, I'd go to the dealership...any overfill is on them and their pricing is actually pretty good/competitive because once you're there the up-sales begin...wipers, cabin air filters, tires, shocks, etc. 

Dealers use bulk too. When I had my Trailblazer ss they put the wrong oil in it. When I got back to my shop I checked the oil it was over full. I called my service writer and asked how they could over fill my oil when it called for mobile one? That wasn’t bulk and only was used in a few models at the time. He agreed and did another oil change. From then on I watched instead of looking at other cars on the lot when getting oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

Dealers use bulk too. When I had my Trailblazer ss they put the wrong oil in it. When I got back to my shop I checked the oil it was over full. I called my service writer and asked how they could over fill my oil when it called for mobile one? That wasn’t bulk and only was used in a few models at the time. He agreed and did another oil change. From then on I watched instead of looking at other cars on the lot when getting oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I bet they do use bulk...my thinking is that if there was an issue (lets say it blew a RMS) from the overfill, it falls solely on the dealership. Probably easier to get warranty (or even non-warranty) fix if it's on them vs Joe's oil and Lube on the corner. Regardless, I always watch from outside the maintenance/service bay...they may not like it but I still do it :thumbs: I usually do my own but still have one more freebie :)

Edited by SS502
  • Like 1

Define bulk. Where I worked the lubers had 500 gallon drums and a tap on the wall but the volume readout quit a long time ago. They just filled their jug to a mark and poured it in. Then there were 55 gallon drums with a hand crank to fill the jug for mobil 1. Both bulk but not very precise. And did I mention, never pulled a dipstik. When I bitched to the service manager he said he was happy just to get help that would remember to put the oil cap back on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, tbarn said:

Define bulk. Where I worked the lubers had 500 gallon drums and a tap on the wall but the volume readout quit a long time ago. They just filled their jug to a mark and poured it in. Then there were 55 gallon drums with a hand crank to fill the jug for mobil 1. Both bulk but not very precise. And did I mention, never pulled a dipstik. When I bitched to the service manager he said he was happy just to get help that would remember to put the oil cap back on.

Wow, that's sad. I don't know the "bulk" containers but they are somehow pressurized or pumped out. There at good ones and of course I don't know or can't speak for what everyone uses...just going off what brother told me. I am guessing they are something like this and he says theirs are checked regularly...probably to save money from any overfill more than anything!

JLP.jpg

4 hours ago, Gagliano7 said:

Because 2014 and 2015 models stated 8.5 quarts with filter. Somewhere in 2016 GM revised the capacity to 8 quarts with filter. Nobody received new dipsticks to reflect the revision. 

• Like 1

I always change my own oil so i know exactly what was done. I know 2 people that went to one of those oil change places and on both cars a week after oil change their motors blew. It might not be any cheaper to do it myself but i know it was done right.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, pickmeup said:

Because 2014 and 2015 models stated 8.5 quarts with filter. Somewhere in 2016 GM revised the capacity to 8 quarts with filter. Nobody received new dipsticks to reflect the revision. 

I think it was only early 2014 models that had the 8.5 qts specified. I bought a 2014 mid to late model year and it was always 8 qts in my documentation.

Had the dealer do my first free oil change few months ago. 

Couple weeks later I check my oil my and its WAY over. I drained almost 2 of the XXL gas station drink cups full and that got it down to dead even with the top line on the dipstick! 

Edited by rah7777777