Oil change - 5.3 L83

Do you guys that refill by volume and not the stick, really get complete drains on you oil changes?

Based on the last two oil changes on my 2018, I can never fit in the 8qt the manual calls for (with oil filter change every time too). It only take about 6-7 quarts to get back to the same high mark on the stick as it was when I drained. Even after driving around 20min. 

I have always assumed that there are places that can't gravity drain in the engine. But it sounds like some of you have more complete drains. Is there a trick?  

#PIP5231A: Concern of engine oil dipstick indicating an overfill - (Oct 9, 2014)
Subject:  Concern of engine oil dipstick indicating an overfill  

999999995.gif
Models:  2015 Cadillac Escalade
2014-2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Suburban, Tahoe
2014-2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Yukon
with engines 5.3L, 6.2L RPO's L83, L86 

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIP5231.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

The Engine oil dipstick indicates an overfill when performing a PDI or after an oil and filter change. 

Recommendation/Instructions

Typically you will find the dipstick indicates an overfill of 1/2qt of Engine oil.

There is no need to drain the oil at this time, as this concern will not damage the engine nor affect operation.

When it is time for the oil change, fill with the recommended amount of engine oil as specified in SI

SI has been updated with the engine oil (with filter) fill specification of 8 quarts or 7.57 Liters for 7.5L 5.3L, 6.2L RPO's L83, L86 engines in the models lists above. 

Note: The correct “full” mark is the upper dimple and the “add” mark is the lowest bottom dimple on the Engine oil dipstick

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Edited by tbarn

6 minutes ago, richamor said:

according to the PI that tbarn posted it doesn't matter. 8 or 8.5 qts makes no difference since

Sure glad they (GM or whoever said it makes no difference) don’t do/work what I do. Gotta love a “doesn’t matter” response. This isn’t directed at you richamor ?

However......in light of this information I will, at the next oil change, fill with 8 quarts and let the truck sit overnight. In the morning I will pull the dipstick and make a new "FULL" mark.

Or just buy a stick from a 2016. Anybody got a part number handy? 

fyi

DATE 05/11/2015

SUBJECT The Engine Oil Capacity – with Oil Filter Has Changed

MODELS  2014 – 2015 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado, GMC Yukon, Sierra, Denali Equipped with GEN V V8 Engines - 5.3L RPO L83, 5.3L RPO L8B or 6.2L RPO L86

TO Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC Dealers

ATTN Parts and Service Director, Parts Manager, Parts Counter Personnel, Service Advisor, Service Manager, Service Technician, and Fleet and Commercial Managers

The Engine Oil Capacity – with Oil Filter for all GEN V, V8 5.3L and 6.2L engines has been reduced from 8.5 quarts to 8.0 quarts.

This change has been implemented in SI and will be reflected in future Owner Manuals.

Thank you for your cooperation.

END OF MESSAGE

GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

Please people there are many reasons gm changed over to the 8 spec. the dipstick is so inaccurate anyways and just a dummy check. If the engineers say this and there is tons of in field and dyno testing for the why. What makes the people that think they know better but more in? It confuses me. these same people are going to be on here crying when something needs replacement and they have to pay for it or warranty doesn't cover it. 

I have a super old torque wrench that is way out of spec but it says its 100ftlb so screw it. I will use it to build my 40k race block then complain to manufacture if it was wrong. 

Blocks have been sent to have testes on them for warranty work. the oil is tested and a "report" on the opinion of the oil change, oil quality and oil amount. then based on that there is a cause of failure spot. 

I have see customers scream and really cry when they are told they need a new motor and have no warranty. Even hand over a receipt for every oil change done on truck. 

these motors are the next evolution of the LSX blocks. Who knows the biggest issues with those are? PCV, oil consumption, and RMS. Now search some forum what issues do you see.... Catch cans, PCV, oil in the intake and heads, O2 fuel trim issues, bulletins on these issues and how GM cleans them, RMS, and warranty affects of all those issues. 

go to high end top dollar race sites or shops and what do you see $500-2000 catch cans and talk of oil control. 

These site is more joe average then racers or heavy mods. But it doesn't mean the basic motor issues arn't there.