Ram Reveals Fancy-Pants Tailgate - 60-40 Split Swingaway With Step

Gorehamj

RM019_385FN6hg98cjctrdemr5nm9jnavd25n__mid.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
2-6-2019

Ram revealed a new 60-40 swing away split tailgate this week. Ram wasted no time in throwing out a zinger to the GMC folks, saying,  "Unlike other multi-element tailgates, the Ram multifunction tailgate is trailer-friendly and does not require that the trailer and hitch be removed before opening." What Ram is apparently referring to is possible interference with the new GMC six-position MultiPro tailgate. Some owners have reported that the GMC tailgate can strike the trailer ball or the top of the trailer when it is dropped to its lowest position.

“The Ram multifunction tailgate is intuitive to operate and owners will find it immediately useful,” said Reid Bigland, Head of Ram Brand – FCA. “Combined with Ram’s class-exclusive RamBox feature and new tailgate step, we’re taking Ram’s cargo management and storage to the next level.”

RM019_382FN12pqjiv431trqamnbo08ov4ck7__mid.jpg

Ram's new multifunction tailgate has four different configurations including:

Open flat

Open left door only

Open right door only

Open both doors.

RM019_383FNsjs3946jjk56oakdbihpt02kmt__mid.jpg

Each door swings open 88 degrees and access can be further enhanced via a retractable center-mounted step option.

RM019_379FNlt5cvspkeu2teq8j0aq5nnu8l3__mid.jpg

• Haha 1

Even after modifying the tongue jack on my travel trailer with a removable crank handle, my tailgate only misses it by about an inch when dropped. Even if the Ram gate would open it would be against the gas bottles.

Is it fully removable from the bed?  Wonder what it's going to look like after a 2years of hardcore contractor use?  Misaligned,rattling, jamming...etc?  But who uses a RAM for hardcore contractor work anyway?  Sierra is Classy!

• Like 1

I like it better than GM's attempt.  I'd still prefer to just have the old tried and true tailgate though.  Pretty sure even with the current asinine tailgate prices, these new ones will bring asinine prices to a whole new level.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

I like it better than GM's attempt.  I'd still prefer to just have the old tried and true tailgate though.  Pretty sure even with the current asinine tailgate prices, these new ones will bring asinine prices to a whole new level.

Yeah probably like 5 grand replacement plus paint

• Sad 1