Gorehamj

Ram Reveals Fancy-Pants Tailgate - 60-40 Split Swingaway With Step

I like the idea but would have close to zero priority in my truck buying decision..  When simply using the box like a car's trunk, this feature would come in handy.  (This will lead to a hatch vs barn door debate like with the older Suburbans! )  

• Like 2

IMO a much more useful concept than the GM multi gate.  However, i don't see the Ram design withstanding the test of time.

• Like 1

RAM's tailgate 60-40 is available on 7 trim levels for about 1,000 bucks..

What GM truck trim level do I have to buy to get the multipro? Right!

And do you know why?

"... and drive significant shareholder value.”

so long

j-ten-ner

• Like 2

I wish I had purchased a Tahoe instead of a Silverado. I don't like crawling past the huge tailgate to get into the bed of my truck. Bicycles are hard to retrieve. I had a boffo bike set up on my minivan, but now I need a vehicle that can tow a travel trailer. 

I like the utility of it, but I can't get past the line not being centered. Looks so weird. At least the GMC one is symmetrical.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:16 PM, flyingfool said:

seems to me Dodge, GM and Ford are making tailgates for trucks so that Old Men and yuppies can get into the bed easier, and grab thier golf clubs or tennis racket... lol

Truth.. Ha Ha.. they're the only ones that can afford these new trucks!

Seems useless and just adds numerous points of failure.  I can see that being a huge issue if you load the bed with gravel.

On 2/6/2019 at 7:51 PM, mookdoc6 said:

Is it fully removable from the bed?  Wonder what it's going to look like after a 2years of hardcore contractor use?  Misaligned,rattling, jamming...etc?  But who uses a RAM for hardcore contractor work anyway?  Sierra is Classy!

With FCA quality control it will be misaligned on day 1!

• Like 1

I can't wait for the Youtube videos of when those latches fail when somebody is trying to load an ATV :lol:

I still think Chevy has the best setup with the bumper steps. Who needs to worry about reaching over the tailgate when you can have it down and be in the bed in 5 seconds?

4 hours ago, CadillacLuke24 said:

I can't wait for the Youtube videos of when those latches fail when somebody is trying to load an ATV :lol:

I still think Chevy has the best setup with the bumper steps. Who needs to worry about reaching over the tailgate when you can have it down and be in the bed in 5 seconds?

I'm still a young guy in my 30s so I have no issue hoping up in the bed with the corner step, it's incredibly easy.  I see the advantage in the GMC step because it looks like I'll be able to just walk into the bed with my hands full, so I have easy access to the full thing and not just the back half. 

I can't picture the Ram version being as useful as even a standard tailgate with a corner step. 

The one area of a truck that gets the most abuse is the tailgate...look at any truck that’s been used for anything other than an expensive grocery getter. Even the guy who prides himself on keeping his truck immaculate will have scuff marks on the inside of the tailgate so long-term durability is a big question mark??? Also as @j-ten-ner points out, the GM version is limited to select buyers, the RAM is on 7 models...they best GM on that alone. You can bet you’re Grandmother’s Poodle that Ford has both the GM and RAM tailgates in their R&D house designing a hybrid of the two. 

Edited by SS502

This makes it seem like I'm the only one that uses my hitch as a step, been doing it for as long as I can remember.

18 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

This makes it seem like I'm the only one that uses my hitch as a step, been doing it for as long as I can remember.

Well that makes two of us out there. Isn't that why the ball is flat on top?

• Like 1

Now we wait for Ford to present their version complete with their famous ''Man handle''.

I think the GMC multipro tailgate is better but to a certain extent. You can only fold up the flap if the gate is down to keep a few sheets of lumber or drywall in the bed. What I would really think would make a great tailgate is if it could be like an old station wagon. You can either drop it down like a typical pickup tailgate or swing the entire tailgate open like a door. There are quite a few times I just need an extra foot of reach to grab some bags and stuff that went forward into the bed and I just end up climbing in the bed which is no problem for me but if I had a tailgate that swung out I could easily get to it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ThomCannell

Thom Cannel: Article & Photos
      Zane Merva: Photos
      GM-Trucks.com
      June 24th, 2019

This could be the shortest Chevrolet truck review in history. 

If that's what you came for, you can stop reading right now.  But if you're curious... 

Why is the 3.0L Duramax so awesome? Because unless you’re building a custom lifestyle truck or simply using it for basic tasks you’ll be no doubt upgrade to more powerful engine when you buy your next Silverado or Sierra. That means either the famous 6.2-liter V-8 gas engine or this all-new 3.0L Duramax Turbo-diesel 3.0-liter diesel with its 277 HP, 460 torques and 9,300 pound towing capacity.

If your truck is a lifestyle statement—and we have zero problems with that—this may not apply to you. That is, unless you’re from Texas where a better engine is as necessary as church on Thursday, guns, and football. Our vote, as the upgrade cost is the same $2,495 as for the 6.2L gas engine, is the new 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder diesel. It has the same torque, better fuel economy (we expect) and even has a sweet engine exhaust sound.

Chevrolet invited GM-Trucks to Bend, Oregon to test the 2020 Silverado and it’s new diesel engine. Don’t worry if you just bought a 2019 Silverado—there are no huge differences for 2020; the truck was only released a few months ago. So, for 2020 Chevy adds adaptive cruise control and the amazing 15-view camera technology that includes “invisible trailer” from the Heavy Duty segment. We covered that. 

For 2020 Chevrolet offers a diversity of engines. There are, in addition to the new diesel, the 310 horsepower / 348 lb-ft 2.7-liter DI turbocharged I-4 with an 8-speed transmission, and two legendary small block gas engines, the 5.3L and 6.2L.

In Model Year 2020 the 5.3L makes 355 horsepower (265 kW) and 383 lb-ft of torque (519 Nm) coupled to an 8-speed transmission, the 6.2L is SAE-certified to deliver 420 HP (313 kW) and 460 lb-ft of torque (623 Nm). It is paired with GM’s 10-speed transmission, which couples perfectly with GM’s DFM cylinder deactivation system. Hey, you don’t think you can run on two cylinders with an ordinary transmission, do you? 

According to Chevrolet the new diesel motor will be available in LT, RST, LTZ and High Country trim levels. The 5.3L gas engine is standard in LTZ and High Country models and available on LT, RST and Trail Boss. The 6.2L gas gasser is available more trim levels for 2020. Both engines will be built at General Motors’ Tonawanda Engine Plant in Buffalo, New York.” Not mentioned is the carryover 4.3L engine aimed at fleet owners.

We arrived in Oregon to 80°F heat and blue skies, then were fed and watered, and set off on different tasks. We can’t talk about the HD trucks and their massive towing capacity for a couple of days. We were offered an incredibly deep-dive into the new engine, and a mileage competition featuring the new 3.0-liter diesel engine to start, however. Winning a comp is cool, but not realistic when you have a limited time with a vehicle in the first place. That said, other journalists did take the time to compete and Sunday’s winning mileage was in the 34-36 mpg range and then blown away by Monday’s 46 mpg. That, friends, is some serious hypermiling! However we still do not have official EPA certified mileage. That’s “To Come”.

If you haven’t read much about the 3.0, here’s a modestly deep dive into its guts. First, the whole engine is state-of-the-art, aluminum head and block with thin steel cylinder sleeves and seven main bearings for the crankshaft. Combustion processes were among the driving forces underpinning design theory, so the cylinder head is essentially flat and the bowl-shaped pistons have zero relief cuts for the valves. That was important for efficiency.

Simulation, and single-cylinder engine studies showed that having very vertical valves would not only allow a simpler bowl shape in the pistons, but that very shape would allow inlet-generated swirl to be maximized at every point. Swirl is produced and governed by dual intake runners feeding each cylinder. Oh, the ceramic glow plugs gave GM the highest compression ratio consistent with power and emissions, as well as allowing ignition to -22°F without a block heater. FYI, most of the engine development and engineering, as well as primary calibration took place in Turin, Italy. That’s GM’s center of diesel excellence.

To ensure a quiet engine, emissions that more than meet standards, and deliver fuel economy, GM finalized an injection pressure of 2,500 bar (36,500 psi) through solenoid injectors capable of up to ten injections per combustion cycle. Early injections are primarily used to build in-cylinder pressure smoothly to abate diesel clatter. Later injections can be used for power and to keep the catalyst working within specified temperatures (those injections, sometimes caused by a catalyst cooled by highway driving, do negatively affect fuel economy but maintain emissions specifications).

There’s a single close-coupled VGT turbo, for now, which indicates a possibility for later development of greater power and torque. Packaging to the “chemical factory” is as tight as could be manufactured.

What we really haven’t talked about is the decision for an I-6 engine, versus a V-type. Obviously, six cylinders are longer than three, or even four. This slightly under-square engine delivers two things that a V design does not: smoothness and less side force. A V-type engine necessarily produces some side thrust, which is one of the reasons that Ford’s new 3.0L is made of CGI or Compacted Graphite Iron. In contrast, by using a robust, deep skirt design, Chevrolet and other divisions have an all-aluminum block, saving weight. Some of the extra length is minimized by packaging chain driven shafts at the rear.

If you’ve never driven, or better yet heard an inline six, they’re smooth, likely the smoothest engine you’ve driven and with a unique sound. Both delivered by six evenly spaced exhaust pulses. The last I-6 engine GM produced was the gasoline Atlas LL8/Vortec 4200 used in Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Buick Rainier, Olds Bravada, Isuzu Ascender and Saab 9-7X. ) Note that Detroit Diesel has produced an inline-6 since 1980 that displaces 11-14L.)

Before highway driving, we did a walk-around. The GM-exclusive Durabed is impressive, and hard-coated for scuff resistance. Chevrolet says it’s made up of several sections instead of 1-2 deep drawn pressings. This provides owners with more cargo volume. As Chevrolet (and GMC) will tell you, it’s made of several varieties of High Strength Steels, so they claim it’s more dent and penetration-resistant than Ford’s aluminum bed. Inside the bed are 12 fixed tie-down points and nine moveable points, which has been a big hit with owners. Plus there’s that available power up/down tailgate, a power outlet and task lighting. A somewhat unnoticed feature is relocating the bed lights to flank the CHMSL on the roof edge. A couple of other things that are important are the corner steps and bed steps. They’re made for size 13 steel-toed boots and hold up to 500 pounds.

We then drove the truck on the highway and on two-lane roads. Our first impression was of the powerful engine sound, followed by impressive torque. Electric motor type torque. Smooth power available at the lowest of engine speeds.

Engine noise isn’t intrusive but like the torque, off the line it lets you know it’s there. However, with an open hood you hardly know it’s a diesel, it is that quiet. Even a random enthusiast who had been researching the new 3.0L Duramax and stopped us at a boat launch had to ask if it was a Diesel. This is simply unlike the larger Duramax and any other light duty diesel on the market. 

Something we’ll get into in our Heavy Duty story is the reason there’s a 10-speed transmission. If you think about the power band of a diesel engine, here delivering all of its 460 lb-ft of torque at just 1,500 rpm and holding strong to about 4,000 rpm, that’s significantly different than the power band of a gas engine. Thus, the 10-speed maximizes power and fuel economy—and every automaker has to deliver fuel economy, low CO2 and clean emissions.

We have much more to come. For instance, we need to see if tow ratings are realistic, if its EPA fuel economy beats Ford’s 30Highway/22City/25Combined and how well it lives up to the Find New Roads slogan in real world driving under every condition we can discover.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      6-11-2019
      Ram revealed the specs for its updated EcoDiesel V6 engine in the 1500 this week. The big news is 480 ft-lb of torque in a light-duty truck. Towing is also very impressive with towing up to 12,560 pounds. Finally, Ram says that it expects to also have class-leading fuel economy from its 3.0-liter turbo-diesel engine-equipped truck. 

"The new Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is America’s most powerful half-ton diesel pickup, following up on Ram’s Heavy Duty torque leadership and achieving what no other manufacturer has, with up to 480 lb.-ft. of torque in a 3.0-liter engine,” said Reid Bigland, Head of Ram Brand. “The all-new EcoDiesel engine and our eTorque mild-hybrid powertrain technologies deliver the highest available fuel efficiency for our Ram 1500 customers.”

Ram says it will also pair its diesel with the only air suspension in the class. Being able to lower the truck at highway speeds will likely help with fuel efficiency.  Ram's new 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 uses dual overhead camshafts (DOHC) with four valves per cylinder and a 60-degree angle between the cylinder banks. The block is cast compacted graphite iron, which Ram says provides strength to dampen vibrations, but weighs less than grey cast iron. Ram uses a compacted graphite iron bedplate to add rigidity to the block. The new EcoDiesel has a forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods for strength and durability. Ram's aluminum alloy pistons are cooled on the underside via oil jets. Heat-treated aluminum cylinder heads have individual bearing caps to reduce friction and minimize NVH. The engine's chain-driven overhead camshafts employ roller-finger followers.

Ram pointed to these specific upgrades as significant: 
      -A new-generation water-cooled turbocharger with variable geometry turbine (VGT) increases efficiency and responsiveness during transient conditions
      -Redesigned cylinder head intake ports improve swirl and flow, increasing performance and fuel economy
      -The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system design has been updated to a dual loop (low and high pressure) system. The added low-pressure circulation system draws gases after the diesel particulate filter, thus minimizing turbocharger energy losses, which increases fuel economy
      -The compression ratio has been optimized to 16.0:1 from 16.5:1
      -High-pressure (29,000 psi/2,000 bar) direct-injection fuel injector nozzles were redesigned to match the newly designed and optimized combustion chamber
      -Lightweight aluminum alloy pistons were completely redesigned to include thinner rings and low-friction coating on the pin and side skirts to reduce losses
      -NVH has been reduced by offsetting piston pin by 0.3 millimeters from the centerline; thus, minimizing mechanical noises
      -The lower portion of the two-piece oil sump uses a lightweight sandwiched polymer/metal material that further reduces NVH
      -The dual vacuum pump system uses electric and a new mechanical low-friction pump with new blades that improve overall system efficiency

Ram will not build this engine in the United States. Rather, it will be produced FCA Cento facility in Ferrara, Italy and imported. Watch for price and fuel efficiency new in about two months. The engine will be available in Ram trucks starting this early winter of 2019 unless it is delayed for emissions testing or other reasons. 

• By BlancoSilverado
      Hello,
      I purchased my truck a few months ago and most of the time i need to press the button 2-5 times to drop my tailgate without any help. With a little (and i mean 5 lbs) of pulling while pressing the button it works most of the time, even then i might have to press it twice. The truck is a new body 2019 Silverado LT 4x4. It started doing this day one, i thought it might just need to work in/break in and it did not.
      Is anyone else having this issue?
      If so do you know how to fix it?
       I have tried with the vehicle on level ground and even then it does not work all the time also i tried it on grounds where the front is up a few inches and i would still have to press at least twice. Every 50 times or so it will go down with one press. 

Any help will be appreciated.

• By DodgerDave
      I have received a small dimple on my 2 month old Denali Tailgate.  It appears to be plastic.   No paint damage, just a small dimple.  I had a few shops look at it, and they didn't want to touch it.   I was going to hit it with a heat gun and press it out, but not sure about that.  I was hoping I was not the first one to have this issue.

Its over towards the right, just by the reverse light.