Ram Reveals Fancy-Pants Tailgate - 60-40 Split Swingaway With Step

Gorehamj

22 hours ago, SS502 said:

The one area of a truck that gets the most abuse is the tailgate...look at any truck that’s been used for anything other than an expensive grocery getter. Even the guy who prides himself on keeping his truck immaculate will have scuff marks on the inside of the tailgate so long-term durability is a big question mark??? Also as @j-ten-ner points out, the GM version is limited to select buyers, the RAM is on 7 models...they best GM on that alone. You can bet you’re Grandmother’s Poodle that Ford has both the GM and RAM tailgates in their R&D house designing a hybrid of the two

16 minutes ago, kickass audio said:

I think the GMC multipro tailgate is better but to a certain extent. You can only fold up the flap if the gate is down to keep a few sheets of lumber or drywall in the bed. What I would really think would make a great tailgate is if it could be like an old station wagon. You can either drop it down like a typical pickup tailgate or swing the entire tailgate open like a door. There are quite a few times I just need an extra foot of reach to grab some bags and stuff that went forward into the bed and I just end up climbing in the bed which is no problem for me but if I had a tailgate that swung out I could easily get to it.

I bet they come out with one that does everything the GM and RAM does and then add a locking mechanism that will allow exactly what you're describing. It will have fold down steps (GM) open traditionally (GM and RAM) and open at the 60/40 split (RAM) and swing open from either side (yet to be made)...probably by Ford. It will even have a cooler built in.

2 hours ago, SS502 said:

I bet they come out with one that does everything the GM and RAM does and then add a locking mechanism that will allow exactly what you're describing. It will have fold down steps (GM) open traditionally (GM and RAM) and open at the 60/40 split (RAM) and swing open from either side (yet to be made)...probably by Ford. It will even have a cooler built in.

I wouldn't doubt they do that. I still will stick with my GM trucks. Just putting out my 2 cents for what it's worth lol. Another cool idea but i'm not sure if it would stick is if the bed rails had stake pockets that could be pulled up and lock in place so you could use it as a tie down instead of having to tie to the hooks in the bed corner or the ones at the very top of the bed rail. If you had a bed full of crap it could be a little bit of a challenge to get to the hook if you didn't think ahead and put your strap on the hook before loading everything in. Still all just ideas but more for lazy people out there who can't think ahead lol.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kickass audio said:

I wouldn't doubt they do that. I still will stick with my GM trucks. Just putting out my 2 cents for what it's worth lol. Another cool idea but i'm not sure if it would stick is if the bed rails had stake pockets that could be pulled up and lock in place so you could use it as a tie down instead of having to tie to the hooks in the bed corner or the ones at the very top of the bed rail. If you had a bed full of crap it could be a little bit of a challenge to get to the hook if you didn't think ahead and put your strap on the hook before loading everything in. Still all just ideas but more for lazy people out there who can't think ahead lol.

That would be a very nice feature...most of us have done exactly that...then fishing stuff out to get to the hooks! You know they troll these forums so watch it come out as an option in a year lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kickass audio said:

I think the GMC multipro tailgate is better but to a certain extent. You can only fold up the flap if the gate is down to keep a few sheets of lumber or drywall in the bed. What I would really think would make a great tailgate is if it could be like an old station wagon. You can either drop it down like a typical pickup tailgate or swing the entire tailgate open like a door. There are quite a few times I just need an extra foot of reach to grab some bags and stuff that went forward into the bed and I just end up climbing in the bed which is no problem for me but if I had a tailgate that swung out I could easily get to it.

Pretty sure the Honda Ridgeline tailgate has had this feature for years. 

Ever notice just how much the new dodge looks like the new Honda Ridgeline. I noticed it today when they were parked next to each other, very similar and now shared tailgate.

Sent from above

12 hours ago, Capt Bob said:

Well that makes two of us out there. Isn't that why the ball is flat on top?

I don't step on the ball I step on the mini ball mount for a sway control system.  I guess that's what that is, that's all I've ever seen it used for anyway.  Hitch sticks out far enough I can almost use it as a step even when the tailgate is down.