Ram Reveals Fancy-Pants Tailgate - 60-40 Split Swingaway With Step

Gorehamj

I like the idea but would have close to zero priority in my truck buying decision..  When simply using the box like a car's trunk, this feature would come in handy.  (This will lead to a hatch vs barn door debate like with the older Suburbans! )  

• Like 2

I wish I had purchased a Tahoe instead of a Silverado. I don't like crawling past the huge tailgate to get into the bed of my truck. Bicycles are hard to retrieve. I had a boffo bike set up on my minivan, but now I need a vehicle that can tow a travel trailer. 

On 2/6/2019 at 10:16 PM, flyingfool said:

seems to me Dodge, GM and Ford are making tailgates for trucks so that Old Men and yuppies can get into the bed easier, and grab thier golf clubs or tennis racket... lol

Truth.. Ha Ha.. they're the only ones that can afford these new trucks!

On 2/6/2019 at 7:51 PM, mookdoc6 said:

Is it fully removable from the bed?  Wonder what it's going to look like after a 2years of hardcore contractor use?  Misaligned,rattling, jamming...etc?  But who uses a RAM for hardcore contractor work anyway?  Sierra is Classy!

With FCA quality control it will be misaligned on day 1!

• Like 1

I can't wait for the Youtube videos of when those latches fail when somebody is trying to load an ATV :lol:

I still think Chevy has the best setup with the bumper steps. Who needs to worry about reaching over the tailgate when you can have it down and be in the bed in 5 seconds?

4 hours ago, CadillacLuke24 said:

I can't wait for the Youtube videos of when those latches fail when somebody is trying to load an ATV :lol:

I still think Chevy has the best setup with the bumper steps. Who needs to worry about reaching over the tailgate when you can have it down and be in the bed in 5 seconds?

I'm still a young guy in my 30s so I have no issue hoping up in the bed with the corner step, it's incredibly easy.  I see the advantage in the GMC step because it looks like I'll be able to just walk into the bed with my hands full, so I have easy access to the full thing and not just the back half. 

I can't picture the Ram version being as useful as even a standard tailgate with a corner step. 

The one area of a truck that gets the most abuse is the tailgate...look at any truck that’s been used for anything other than an expensive grocery getter. Even the guy who prides himself on keeping his truck immaculate will have scuff marks on the inside of the tailgate so long-term durability is a big question mark??? Also as @j-ten-ner points out, the GM version is limited to select buyers, the RAM is on 7 models...they best GM on that alone. You can bet you’re Grandmother’s Poodle that Ford has both the GM and RAM tailgates in their R&D house designing a hybrid of the two. 

Edited by SS502

18 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

This makes it seem like I'm the only one that uses my hitch as a step, been doing it for as long as I can remember.

Well that makes two of us out there. Isn't that why the ball is flat on top?

• Like 1

I think the GMC multipro tailgate is better but to a certain extent. You can only fold up the flap if the gate is down to keep a few sheets of lumber or drywall in the bed. What I would really think would make a great tailgate is if it could be like an old station wagon. You can either drop it down like a typical pickup tailgate or swing the entire tailgate open like a door. There are quite a few times I just need an extra foot of reach to grab some bags and stuff that went forward into the bed and I just end up climbing in the bed which is no problem for me but if I had a tailgate that swung out I could easily get to it.