The Inevitable Comparison: GM 6.6 vs. Ford 7.3

1 hour ago, Carolina said:

Care to explain how reving a engine  to a point of more torque and horsepower is gonna make it pull worse? The truck has more capability to accelerate at 5000 rpms because it has more torque than at 3500 and will be harder to slow down because it’s near it’s peak horsepower and will have the least chance of slowing down at its max horsepower. That’s why you punch the bitch to keep speed

7BD4048C-616E-48DA-93D4-189EDF752C07.jpeg

I was on your side of Keeping the revs up and just above the torque peaks etc. Read my posts about when towing staying above 4g is better. Maybe i miss posted or miss quoted? 

7 hours ago, 2016HD said:

I was on your side of Keeping the revs up and just above the torque peaks etc. Read my posts about when towing staying above 4g is better. Maybe i miss posted or miss quoted? 

10-4 . I missed the early post and took it wrong but either way it’s some schooling for the youngins.

8 hours ago, Carolina said:

Your concern of the gas engine lasting . The wear is similar on a diesel at those rpms.Also downshifting gives it the opportunity to have more horsepower to keep it from slowing down. Nobody is trying accelerate up hills there trying to maintain speed . If you don’t think diesels have to rev on hills you must have never towed with one with a big load up a hard grade . I’ve watched my duramax loose speed many times and had to floor it only to watch it fall

In my pulling years I would gear my gas or diesel to pull its load at the lowest RPM possible to stay around 60 MPH. Usually gas would be 3K RPM in direct drive not over drive. Diesel 18-2K RPMs for obvious reasons. There would be times obviously I would drop a gear to pull up hill. I wouldn’t want to live at that RPM. None of my Rigs were stock. Gas had headers, tunes some had cams. Diesels had banks kits. My rigs were registered for 30K combo. Usually pulling 24K combo. I had business demos, training coast to coast. In the mid 2000s our business got to the point I couldn’t take the time to pull my own stuff anymore. I hired it out. I missed it though. I did it 30 years I know what it takes. 

11 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

In my pulling years I would gear my gas or diesel to pull its load at the lowest RPM possible to stay around 60 MPH. Usually gas would be 3K RPM in direct drive not over drive. Diesel 18-2K RPMs for obvious reasons. There would be times obviously I would drop a gear to pull up hill. I wouldn’t want to live at that RPM. None of my Rigs were stock. Gas had headers, tunes some had cams. Diesels had banks kits. My rigs were registered for 30K combo. Usually pulling 24K combo. I had business demos, training coast to coast. In the mid 2000s our business got to the point I couldn’t take the time to pull my own stuff anymore. I hired it out. I missed it though. I did it 30 years I know what it takes. 

I guess your experience is too “dated” . I don’t care if you were the test driver for GM . The facts are facts

17 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

If you were within your weigh limit and lost speed dropping a gear you probably had the wrong gear. I never lost speed dropping a gear. My nephew continues to deliver equipment at times. The advancement in technology with more horsepower, TQ and gears has made it possible to haul the same loads at lower overall RPMs. Still hauling 24K combo.

The moral of this, albeit off-course discussion, is that if towing near max capacity, keep the new 6.6 in the 3500-4500 RPM range to maximize both peak HP and peak TQ for extended pulling up steep grades. Generally unnecessary on flat ground, but there when you need it. Same with any gasoline engine under max load. Finding the sweet spot between peak HP RPM and peak TQ RPM is where it will shine.

3 hours ago, SILVER SLED said:

There are some people making a lot of hp with the 7.3 Ford.  Those Ford people are claiming the 7.3 is loosely based on the old 351 Windsor motor.  

Looks to me like it's based on the Chevy LS more than anything!  Don't see any Windsor in it, but the Ford 7.3L is built in the Windsor engine plant.  Maybe that confused someone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C/K Man said:

Looks to me like it's based on the Chevy LS more than anything!  Don't see any Windsor in it, but the Ford 7.3L is built in the Windsor engine plant.  Maybe that confused someone. 

No joke it’s 6.0 clone with more cubes

1 hour ago, C/K Man said:

I totally agree on it looking like an LS clone but larger.  I’m just sayin the Ford people aren’t gonna admit it.  Even the square intake port shapes are very similar, the port in the Ford though extends out from the head a bit.  

well,  on another note.  had 3 diesels, then bought the 6.6 gas. dont miss putting the bra on, dont miss plugging it in. dont miss def fluid. dont miss 30 to 40 cents a gallon more for fuel. dont miss the warm up times in cold weather. kind of like the gas again. and im not a ford guy. drive what you like. i am. lol.  by the way,, the chevy hd front end is the best looking front end out there in my opinion. just saying. lol.....    oh,,, and dont miss regens

Edited by dgcat

18 minutes ago, dgcat said:

well,  on another note.  had 3 diesels, then bought the 6.6 gas. dont miss putting the bra on, dont miss plugging it in. dont miss def fluid. dont miss 30 to 40 cents a gallon more for fuel. dont miss the warm up times in cold weather. kind of like the gas again. and im not a ford guy. drive what you like. i am. lol.  by the way,, the chevy hd front end is the best looking front end out there in my opinion. just saying. lol.....    oh,,, and dont miss regens

I agree if I didn't have to tow anything I would switch back to a gas.