GM SUVs vs the competition

Curious to see what/anything y'all cross-shopped before deciding on a GM SUV and how they stacked up in comparison. For me, I looked at a Toyota Land Cruiser and Nissan Armada Platinum. The Suburban was in the middle of the two price wise, but was a lot more modern feeling than the Land Cruiser, which has a lousy third row and tiny gas tank, and Armada, which was considerably less expensive, but not as refined and had more depreciation. 

Would be really interested to hear comparisons to the new Navigator/Expedition.

Curious to see what/anything y'all cross-shopped before deciding on a GM SUV and how they stacked up in comparison. For me, I looked at a Toyota Land Cruiser and Nissan Armada Platinum. The Suburban was in the middle of the two price wise, but was a lot more modern feeling than the Land Cruiser, which has a lousy third row and tiny gas tank, and Armada, which was considerably less expensive, but not as refined and had more depreciation. 

Would be really interested to hear comparisons to the new Navigator/Expedition.

I really don’t drink the kool-aid. If I was looking for an SUV that size it would only be GM. If I couldn’t afford on new I would go CPO or used. Midsize that’s different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Chevy Traverse, VW Atlas, Honda Pilot, Mercedes GLS450 & BMW X7, and finally Ford Expedition Max.

Went over it all in my big review blog: http://www.stevepake.com/life/2019/2/2/bmw-335i-to-chevy-suburban

Believe me that I didn't want to spend $74k MSRP on a truck if I could get by with something less, so plenty of tires were kicked.

It's easy if you're looking at something Suburban sized, because it's pretty much just GM or Ford. Lots more competition at the Tahoe/Yukon level, and also a lot of overlap with larger crossover SUVs. Between the Suburban and the Expedition Max, hands down the Suburban simply because it has superior cargo space vs the Expedition Max. I couldn't believe how tiny the cargo area in the Expedition Max is without folding down one of the 3rd row seats. It was so bad that it was a deal breaker. Suburban was a solid all around vehicle, so that sealed the deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chevy Traverse, VW Atlas, Honda Pilot, Mercedes GLS450 & BMW X7, and finally Ford Expedition Max.

Went over it all in my big review blog: http://www.stevepake.com/life/2019/2/2/bmw-335i-to-chevy-suburban

Believe me that I didn't want to spend $74k MSRP on a truck if I could get by with something less, so plenty of tires were kicked.

It's easy if you're looking at something Suburban sized, because it's pretty much just GM or Ford. Lots more competition at the Tahoe/Yukon level, and also a lot of overlap with larger crossover SUVs. Between the Suburban and the Expedition Max, hands down the Suburban simply because it has superior cargo space vs the Expedition Max. I couldn't believe how tiny the cargo area in the Expedition Max is without folding down one of the 3rd row seats. It was so bad that it was a deal breaker. Suburban was a solid all around vehicle, so that sealed the deal.
The expedition seems to favor third row leg room rather than cargo . The panoramic roof is really nice , wish my suburban had that for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I really don’t drink the kool-aid. If I was looking for an SUV that size it would only be GM. If I couldn’t afford on new I would go CPO or used. Midsize that’s different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way I see it, the more competitive the segment, the better the vehicles,  including GM. Complacency is death, just ask Ford how barely updating the Expedition over 15 years worked out. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ira1976 said:

The expedition seems to favor third row leg room rather than cargo . The panoramic roof is really nice , wish my suburban had that for sure.

You can get 36.1/40.9" of legroom in the 3rd row with the bigger number being with the 2nd row seats all the way forward. 2nd row you get 41.5/42.6", which doesn't make sense because there's a good couple inches of seat travel. Anyways, there's lots of typos in Ford's brochure. Not sure what you can do simultaneously, but there's probably more overall passenger space available in the Expedition Max at the expense of cargo space.

The Suburban you get a fixed 39.7" and 34.5" of 2nd/3rd row legroom. I can sit behind myself in the 2nd row no problem at 6'3" and be comfortable for a long trip, and a 6-foot tall more slender framed colleague at my office can fit just find in the outside 3rd row, so at least in my view, Ford sacrificed quite a bit chasing numbers on spec sheets at a huge cost to their cargo area. I guess if you have a family of 7-foot tall basketball players, the Expedition Max would be the one to get.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

I love my Chevy truck, but the wife has different ideas in what she drives. Volvo for the past 24 years. Currently XC90.

The new XC90 is really nice. It's just a shame they went to 4-cylinder only engines.

• Like 1

What about the new Blazer vs the new Honda Passport?  Passport is based on a Pilot.  As many times as I've seen GM mid size SUV's come in for electrical issues (radio, 4/all wheel drive, stabilitrac....) under 2,000 miles, the Honda is looking good. 

6 hours ago, SILVER SLED said:

What about the new Blazer vs the new Honda Passport?  Passport is based on a Pilot.  As many times as I've seen GM mid size SUV's come in for electrical issues (radio, 4/all wheel drive, stabilitrac....) under 2,000 miles, the Honda is looking good. 

Personally, for anything smaller than a Tahoe, I think the Toyota 4Runner is really hard to beat. 

I rented an infiniti qx80 kind of as a joke because I was never really a fan of them. I called them Shamu. After having it for that week I am and fan and strongly considered it, but the Yukon Denali won overall and that’s what I chose. The infiniti had a more luxury feel but the yukon had a more down to earth luxury feel without being to blingy looking. Both had great pick up when you needed it on the highway and the Yukon has a deeper engine tone which definitely went in its favor. 

• Like 1

On 08/02/2019 at 6:54 PM, Mandalorian said:

Personally, for anything smaller than a Tahoe, I think the Toyota 4Runner is really hard to beat. 

The 4Runner seems overpriced but at least you get a truck for what you pay, as opposed to the Highlander...

For compact, Suzuki needs to return to North America and bring back the RWD V6 Grand Vitara. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I checked the expedition but none of ford lots had any for test driving im my area. Anyhow the prices seemed higher while getting more with the expedition. The suburban  looked better.  I test drove a suburban  1st time it was like  being a virgin  and scared of how big it was. 2nd time  i was in love and never looked back.