Whats your payload capacity???

Think the biggest difference there is going to be that you can still get a HC with NHT. Just have to forgo the packages that include 22” wheels and then order the other options separately.

On the Denali you can’t get NHT even if you skip the Ultimate package and stay with the 20” wheels. Been that way since at least the K2s. Assume it is suspension / ride related.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Polo08816 said:

Would someone be able to post a picture of their trailering/weight capacity sticker on their driver's side door jamb like in this link:

https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/10/2019-chevy-silverado-1500-trail-boss-tow-payload-specs/

I'm interested in the Rear Axle Weight Rating for a 6.2L with the max trailering package.

B73CAB76-614E-456C-932E-46A73A476B85.thumb.jpeg.8d2909321b9b4d5ff7ac6138e6feaa77.jpeg

LTZ CC Short box 6.2 max tow. Truck has all available options except running boards if that makes any difference.

19 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

B73CAB76-614E-456C-932E-46A73A476B85.thumb.jpeg.8d2909321b9b4d5ff7ac6138e6feaa77.jpeg

LTZ CC Short box 6.2 max tow. Truck has all available options except running boards if that makes any difference.

Thanks!  Out of curiosity, does your truck have the 20" wheels?

I'm wondering if the RAWR is limited by load capacity/range of the factory tires moreso than the 3.42 rear end and axle.

48 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Yeah, it has the 20s and Bridgestone Alenza tires. Theoretically you can get an LTZ with 18s. But I’ve yet to see one actually equipped like that, and I’m not sure if it would increase the ratings.

It may not increase the ratings.  The stock 18" tires have approximately the same load rating as your 20" tires ~ 2,700lbs. 

While there are far more Load Range E tires available in a similar size to the stock 18" 265/65/18 (upsize to 275/65/18), it is possible that the limitation is the actual axle and not the tires.

I don't think we can tell how much "true" extra capacity is left in the rear axle without actually weighing the tow vehicle + trailer.  But it is possible to quickly exceed the RAWR if you're loading the bed up as well as having a high tongue weight on the hitch.  I'm not even sure you can take the actual tongue weight of the trailer as the actual weight placed onto the rear axle since there is a lever action going on since the bumper pull doesn't sit right over the rear axle like a 5th wheel would.  I would surmise the rear axle could be seeing 1.5x the actual tongue weight of the trailer.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2019 at 6:05 PM, UGADawgs said:

That 6.2 kills your payload due to its weight over the 5.3

That is silly. The payload goes in the bed and sits over the rear axle. 90% of the weight of the bed is handled by the rear axle and its wheel bearings and springs and tires. If an engine weighs 200 lbs more than another one this only reduces payload capacity at the rear wheels 40 lbs.

It is usually the factory wheels and tires that determine payload along with the passenger seating provided (why regular cab trucks have the highest factory payload ratings). When I looked at identical GM trucks on dealers' lots I was struck by how the Z71 trucks with the 20" rims and tires did not even have a payload sticker in the glove box but instead had a notice that the truck was not suited for carrying a camper. Two identical trucks but different rims and tires and a difference in the payload rating between them of more than 2000 lb.

The AAM axle and wheel bearings on my truck are rated for 11,000 lbs and from that value I subtract the weight on the rear axle measured at a CAT scale - which was 3200 lbs for my truck. Then I go to the next weakest link which is always going to be the wheels and tires put on at the factory. This is why from the truck manufacturers' perspective it is easiest to add two more tires at the rear axle to increase payload capacity with a DRW truck. No need to stock different tires.

I added Supersprings to my truck as its factory springs were meant for a payload rating of 2895 lbs, and so I gained 1400 lbs of spring load capacity. I changed out the factory tires rated for 3195 lbs for ones rated at 3750 lbs, and increased this aspect of the payload capacity by 1110 lbs. The new tires support up to 7500 lbs and minus the 3200 lb weight of the truck leaves about 4,000 lbs of payload capacity for the bed.

If I wanted to maximize the load capacity I would switch to 19.5 wheels and tires (4800@80 PSI) but at a cost of over $3,000 to do this and being limited to highway tread tires, I stuck with the 18" wheels and tires. The 19.5 wheels are what is found on trucks like the F-450 to handle the expected loads.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:28 AM, OnTheReel said:

I like how the capacity stickers are now.  On my '09 dually I need to do math to figure out how much fatter it's gotten since it left the factory and other weights.