AT4/SLT vs Denali Ride Qualtiy

1 minute ago, trobin1991 said:

Kind of partial to the GMC...love the denali grill, and fell in love with the tailgate...silly i know.....Is the HUD only on the denali ultimate package?.......I get supplier pricing, but I have not ran the numbers to see how this will pan out. Typically its 15% off on top of whatever incentives they are doing.....Not talking numbers till I'm ready to buy. 

You can get the tech package on the Denali without the ultimate package. I think it still forces you to add safety package II at the same time but that’s still cheaper than the ultimate. How many you’ll actually find equipped that way is another story. The multipro tailgate is cool, but the Chevy does have it’s own trick..it can power itself up. I find it to be pretty handy when I have my arms full of stuff.

It was really a toss up between brands for me. They were all expensive to get the features I wanted. Ultimately I went for the LTZ because I wanted the max tow/ 3.42 gears. The Denali and AT4 take a towing and payload hit and cant get the 3.42s. High Country is the other option on the Chevy side but I really didn’t care for the gold dash trim and couldn’t find one configured like mine.

10 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

You can get the tech package on the Denali without the ultimate package. I think it still forces you to add safety package II at the same time but that’s still cheaper than the ultimate. How many you’ll actually find equipped that way is another story. The multipro tailgate is cool, but the Chevy does have it’s own trick..it can power itself up. I find it to be pretty handy when I have my arms full of stuff.

It was really a toss up between brands for me. They were all expensive to get the features I wanted. Ultimately I went for the LTZ because I wanted the max tow/ 3.42 gears. The Denali and AT4 take a towing and payload hit and cant get the 3.42s. High Country is the other option on the Chevy side but I really didn’t care for the gold dash trim and couldn’t find one configured like mine.

I saw the chevy tailgate which is pretty cool to, but IDK why I'm stuck on the multipro. I Ride MX and could see the step in being really helpful loading bikes. I think I like the standard bed length on paper, but can't decided if I like the way that it actually looks, once again.....need to see it in person. 

AT4 only comes in the black with khaki rim correct? LOVE the walnut in the denali trim, but once again $$$$.

Looking at the front ends of all the trucks, the AT4 with denali grill would look closest to the denali itself. Anybody know if you can change out the lower front bumper peice to chrome? 

I drove and compared the 2019 F150 limited, Sierra AT4, Sierra Denali and RAM limited. I ended up trading in my 2016 Yukon Denali for the Sierra Denali. We had a specific route that we took all of the trucks and drove them back-to-back. This route had potholes, washboards, speed bumps, broken pavement and some tight switchbacks. Both my wife and I could tell that the ride was much smoother with the Denali suspension compared to the AT4. The ride on the Sierra Denali is even better than the 2016 Yukon Denali (22" wheels also.) The RAM and Denali were very similar in how smoothly they rode, the big difference was how much better the Denali cornered over the RAM. The Sierra Denali felt connected to the road, vs disconnected in the RAM (air suspension.) The AT4 did corner nicely also.The new 10spd transmission on the 2019 vs the 8spd 2016 Yukon is a major improvement around town also. The AT4 was much better than the F150. The F150 was very chattery and brittle- you felt every imperfection in the road.

IF only they had spent a bit more time and $$ on the interior of the Sierra it would be the perfect truck. It is a step backward from my 2016 Yukon. Everything moves less smoothly, from the gear shift to the temp control dials, it doesn't quite feel high-end enough for the price. Thankfully the HUD makes up for the interior shortcomings- you never really have to look at the cheesy dials. At least in the Yukon all the dials were electronic display- and much nicer looking.

1 hour ago, LakeFever said:

I drove and compared the 2019 F150 limited, Sierra AT4, Sierra Denali and RAM limited. I ended up trading in my 2016 Yukon Denali for the Sierra Denali. We had a specific route that we took all of the trucks and drove them back-to-back. This route had potholes, washboards, speed bumps, broken pavement and some tight switchbacks. Both my wife and I could tell that the ride was much smoother with the Denali suspension compared to the AT4. The ride on the Sierra Denali is even better than the 2016 Yukon Denali (22" wheels also.) The RAM and Denali were very similar in how smoothly they rode, the big difference was how much better the Denali cornered over the RAM. The Sierra Denali felt connected to the road, vs disconnected in the RAM (air suspension.) The AT4 did corner nicely also.The new 10spd transmission on the 2019 vs the 8spd 2016 Yukon is a major improvement around town also. The AT4 was much better than the F150. The F150 was very chattery and brittle- you felt every imperfection in the road.

IF only they had spent a bit more time and $$ on the interior of the Sierra it would be the perfect truck. It is a step backward from my 2016 Yukon. Everything moves less smoothly, from the gear shift to the temp control dials, it doesn't quite feel high-end enough for the price. Thankfully the HUD makes up for the interior shortcomings- you never really have to look at the cheesy dials. At least in the Yukon all the dials were electronic display- and much nicer looking.

Because the Denali has Adaptive Ride Control.

Not much of a comparison to the junk Rancho (Tenneco) shocks on the AT4

The ride will vary based on the suspension package spec'd on the SLT. If you buy an SLT with Z71, it should ride very similar to an AT4, maybe slightly less harsh due to the control arm angles being less aggressive. A SLT with standard suspension will feel much softer, have a plusher ride with less "axle-rap" than the Z71 suspension, although it will have much more felt body roll in corners, especially at speed. A SLT with the NHT trailer package will feel like a 2500 compared to the standard suspension. I have had Z71's all my life and while I appreciate the soft, bump friendly ride of the standard option, I much prefer the stiffer, better handling Z71 suspension. Personally I don't have an experience with Denali's Magna-ride suspension aside from a 10 minute test drive. I would assume that would have the best feeling all around suspension that will likely ride as smooth as the standard suspension, but handle even better than the Z71 on twisty roads, I cant speak to the Denali personally though.  

Wheels have ALOT to do with ride.

18" wheels with meatier sidewalls will always give a more cushioned feel.

I would not want anything larger than 20's

Some Denali's without Magneride or Adaptive Ride Control that have 22's will simply have a harsh ride due to minimal sidewall.

2 hours ago, LakeFever said:

Good write up! When i drove last week, I did a Denali, and SLT (18 and 19). Really like the 19s, but the guy took me on a different route with the denali vs the SLT and it just kinda caught me off guard so I guess it clouded my judgement. Both trucks rode great, but I do remember being really impressed by the denali. They had an AT4 there, which I had never really considered, or drove it as I drive a jeep wrangler as a DD, and really want a truck for a nice ride. Sales person knew nothing about them, and I hadn't looked into them.....I had no idea they were 2 inches higher until I was looked at pictures of them, and started to notice it had a better stance than the SLT or Denali.......I will hardly, if ever take this thing off road. I then went to RAM and felt the same way in the corners, felt slooshy.......

Looking back to when I was driving them....What I didn't know at the time was that I can't get the HUD in the SLT, which I like.....I don't mind the interior color on the AT4, but the denali walnut is my favorite, and I love the brown dash on the SLT. Local dealer has an AT4 with all the options I want (includes HUD, and 6.2, 18s/goodyears) for 58k which would come down to 51-52ish with my supplier discount. Dont think I can get in a denali optioned the way I want it with the HUD for 50-55ish, cause as @OnTheReel states, finding the denali without the ultimate package and HUD is tough......But if I get AT4 or SLT, I'm gonna attempt a Denali grill swap, so AT4 could potentionally get me the HUD at a lower cost, and a nicer standing truck, but as I have stated before....Dont want to sacrifice ride quality...I got my lifted wrangler for that! 

I have no info in mag ride vs conventional on a 1500gmc.

However, with my last 1500 sierra I got a set of 'take-off' GM 18's for winter use. 

At the time I switched back to the 20's for summer (didn't happen til late spring,) I was running a 60 mile round trip on 2 lane. Every day, same route. And not using the truck for much else.

The increase in ride harshness with the 20's surprised me.  But the 20's did give slightly better mpg over the route being run.

With GM's tire sizes, the tire OD stays the same between the 2 rim sizes, and the sidewall gets shorter -- and apparently also stiffer. 

If ride is an important criteria get the 18's instead of 20's (or 22's).

I have no info in mag ride vs conventional on a 1500gmc.

However, with my last 1500 sierra I got a set of 'take-off' GM 18's for winter use. 

At the time I switched back to the 20's for summer (didn't happen til late spring,) I was running a 60 mile round trip on 2 lane. Every day, same route. And not using the truck for much else.

The increase in ride harshness with the 20's surprised me.  But the 20's did give slightly better mpg over the route being run.

With GM's tire sizes, the tire OD stays the same between the 2 rim sizes, and the sidewall gets shorter -- and apparently also stiffer. 

If ride is an important criteria get the 18's instead of 20's (or 22's).

Yes, lower profile tires will have a harsher ride quality. To be able to carry the same weight on less of a sidewall they need to be built stronger, therefore stiffer.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I was happy to see that the 20s on T1s have been sized up from 275-55 to 275-60. I assume the other wheel sizes also have taller tires now. Helps a bit with the ride, and helps a lot as far as preventing curb/ car wash rail damage. I hated the 55 series tires on my 2016. Didn’t have a good look or ride and no protection.

@gothp28 can't wait! Are you doing the top and bottom grill or just the top portions? I can't seem to find the bottomr front bumper (i.e. where the tow hooks are) in chrome anywhere online. 

If I did AT4, I would deff be doing 18' wheels. Local dealer has one optioned out pretty much the way I want it, drove by it yesterday :)