So How is Ownership of these Trucks?

Hey All, 

New member here...

After 5 years of ownership I am ready to get rid of my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Looking at trading or selling her this spring. Finding that with two kids and two dogs I need a pick-up again. 

I came from a GM family and have owned or driven silverado/sierras and blazers for a long time, but never anything from 2014-2018. My current work truck is a 2004 Silverado and its a great truck, it sees some rough terrain. 

My father has a 2015 or 16 GMC Sierra he is thinking about selling that I may buy. 

Just want to get a feel of how these things are... issues? quirks? 

From my experience GM trucks were always just solid performers, comfortable, never any big issues, easy to find parts and easy to work on them. 

Does this still hold true?

Thanks!

Sam

The biggest complaints are the highway shake which all of the trucks don't have and is repairable in most cases once a decent tech looks at the truck. Other than that just clunky transmissions which GM has always had.

If your Dad has owned the truck for a decent while and had no issues I wouldn't expect any.  They do have transmission issues and AFM issues but usually they show themselves before too long.  I would definitely pull the trigger since you knew the past owner personally.  Especially if he maintained the truck well. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TFults said:

I just traded in my 12' JKU for a 16 Silverado in December and I'm loving it!!  

Yeah, you are validating my decision to trade it in/sell it. I love the jeep don't get me wrong but I commute 70 miles round trip every day in a lightly modified jeep and my lower back is taking the brunt of it. 

3 minutes ago, Logan Lanfear said:

If your Dad has owned the truck for a decent while and had no issues I wouldn't expect any.  They do have transmission issues and AFM issues but usually they show themselves before too long.  I would definitely pull the trigger since you knew the past owner personally.  Especially if he maintained the truck well. 

His truck only has 14k miles on it, and is the original owner. We installed a leveling kit on it last time I was back East visiting and he just put a new set of Falken all terrains on it. Since retiring he doesn't put much miles on. Seems like a good truck to me. 

I have only had mine since last October. It's a 2016 and I bought it with 21K on the clock. Just about to hit 25K. I love the thing. No shake, rides very well with a 6.5" lift and 35s. Gas mileage sucks, but I knew that going in. Getting a custom tune in a couple of weeks, so looking forward to that. All in all, I am very satisfied with it.

Shakey

Have about 10k miles on my 2018 crew cab short bed Z71 so far. No major issues so far. Only minor issue is I had 1 rear shock leaking and the dealer replaced it. Besides that it has been great! I get good gas mileage for a full-size truck, the interior is roomy and comfortable, and the infotainment works very well! I did come from a 2004 Dodge Ram so I am biased in that everything in my new truck seems light years ahead of my old truck but overall I'm loving it!

I bought a 2018 in September, and so far, ownership has been a pleasure.  I have about 12,000 km on the truck.  Some in town, some empty roadtrips, and some light towing.  The vehicle is smooth, quiet, comfortable, and capable. 

To date, the only service issue was a bad turn signal bulb which would work intermittently.  Replacing the bulb fixed the issue. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

ownership for real GM enthusist is usually 20-40 years per vehicle thats a daily driver or 300K miles... leaser owners are like 2-6 years

Back home (PA) we've got a 1964 Corvette mid-year convertible. I believe its been about 30+ years of ownership, I really miss having that around. Such a fun car and what I learned to wrench on and drive a manual trans in. Trucks unfortunately haven't lasted that long. 

2018 sierra crew cab 6.6' bed 4x4 6.2 Max Tow. 

6500 miles and has been good so far.

Problems:

Driver window rattle when closing door. 

Rear doors have large gap at lower rear door edge. A common issue caused by incorrect door pins installed at factory.

Mods:

Bilstein 5100 all around. Raised front 1.75". Rides MUCH better, no more floaty boaty feeling when hitting bumps. Truck rides stiffer which is OK with me.

Magnaflow 12909 / 14909 stainless muffler to replace stock muffler and flapper. I can hear cold starts in house and actually sounds like a V8 above 3k rpm. Still quiet when cruising on highway.

JL 10" stealthbox to replace center console 6" bose sub which you could hardly tell was there.

Should be easy to tell if it is a 2015 or 2016 by the front end. 2016 had a major headlight upgrade vs the 2014 - 2015 headlights.

Many 2014 - 2016 trucks had AC failure due to a bad condenser design. 

Other than that and the above mentioned common flaws they seem to be reliable trucks.

Post some pics!