So How is Ownership of these Trucks?

I've had my 2016 Crew Cab LTZ 4x4 since new. I have multiple vehicles, so I don't put a ton of mileage on it. It's sitting right at 22,000 as of yesterday. I've only done regular maintenance, had it aligned once and went through a set of wiper blades. 

Truck rides and drives like a dream. 

4 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

GM Transmissions clunk no matter what.... 4 speed, 6 speed, 8 speed  (jury still out on new 10 speed) ….   Just the nature of the beast if you are a loyal GM owner.

Dan?  The 4's were not clunkers?  GM didn't have clunkers until the 6peed.

I had a 2013 JKU Sahara loaded with 2 tops, leather, etc that I bought new.  Prior to it, I had 2 Yukon XL's (2001 and 2006) when the 4 kids were young, also bought new.

Bought a 2016 Sierra SLE Z71 crew cab last June with 64,000 on it, have 83,000 on it now. It rides better stock than the Jeep ever did on trips (3 hours or so), and gets better gas mileage by a little bit. Truck does have leather, heated seats, and was driven by a superintendent, so everything but the driver's seat literally looks new. My wife and I both think, based on our memory, that it rides as well as either of the Yukon XL's. Truck has Bridgestone Dueler AT RH-S all terrain tires that were new when I bought it. Yukons had street tires, never ran AT's on them.

In 8 months, zero problems. Just gas and maintenance.

I miss the Jeep, but not enough for it to be my primary vehicle again. I'd get another one as a 2nd vehicle for me in an instant. Especially if I could find another LJ like the one I had before the JKU.

Hope that helps.

Traded in my 2012 2 door wrangler on my 2018 Silverado LT CC Z71 last month. 

I love it. Much more comfortable and practical than the Jeep.

I'll miss the 6 speed manual and topless summers, but my girlfriend has a manual 2002 TJ if I get the itch again.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:05 PM, Sierra Dan said:

GM Transmissions clunk no matter what.... 4 speed, 6 speed, 8 speed  (jury still out on new 10 speed) ….   Just the nature of the beast if you are a loyal GM owner.

Funny neither one of my 2018's clunk. They don't vibrate either.

Just because you hear of some that do this does not mean all of them do.

I think some of the clunkers are because of the way the guys drive them. Quit beating the snot out of it and it won't clunk .

Edited by dieselfan1

On 2/8/2019 at 1:13 PM, ForestryGuy said:

Hey All, 

New member here...

After 5 years of ownership I am ready to get rid of my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Looking at trading or selling her this spring. Finding that with two kids and two dogs I need a pick-up again. 

I came from a GM family and have owned or driven silverado/sierras and blazers for a long time, but never anything from 2014-2018. My current work truck is a 2004 Silverado and its a great truck, it sees some rough terrain. 

My father has a 2015 or 16 GMC Sierra he is thinking about selling that I may buy. 

Just want to get a feel of how these things are... issues? quirks? 

From my experience GM trucks were always just solid performers, comfortable, never any big issues, easy to find parts and easy to work on them. 

Does this still hold true?

Thanks!

Sam

Yes it's true.

I wouldn't keep buying Chevy's if they were not reliable solid trucks. 

Most of what you read on here about guys having problems is the very small percentage of all the trucks GM builds .

Not many guys have good things to say on here , just complaints. Sad.

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love My 18 CC, 6.2 so much I treated it with a CST lift and CST coil overs and rear piggyback resi’s as well as with lots of other goodies. I’m keeping mine. Diesel is correct, if you haven’t already noticed, either you’ll find someone constantly complaining, cutting down someone else’s setup or some sort of insecurity issues. I’ve owned an enormous amount of GM trucks and SUV’s, always had excellent things to say about them. My current truck is a keeper. Each and every brand has online forum complaints. Some people really shouldn’t have a truck, Camry more fitting for them especially if all they do is complain about gas mileage. I joined these forum to get ideas, possibly help someone not make a mistake that I have made but one thing is for certain, a whole lot of mental problems circulating in the forums but most people are decent, [emoji848]

Good luck!

God is Great

Beer is Good

People are Crazy

Sent from above

• Like 1

New to this forum, but a 20+ year truck owner. I've had 2 Dodges, 1 Chevy, and 1 Ford. I just picked up my second (current) Chevy 5 days ago. It's a former dealer courtesy truck - 1500 SLT Texas Edition with 3000 miles on it. 

Coming from my trade-in, a Dodge 2500 Cummins SLT, the 1500 is just as I remember my old 2000 Chevy 1500, but better. The ride is just amazing. I took it on a 3.5 hour run from Central Texas to Rockport on the Gulf Coast this weekend., and then back again. We have a lot of roads with 75 and even 85 mph speed limits, and the truck was just smooth as could be at speed. I was even able to push it up to 100 in some spots - no problem other than the governor. 

Transmission does seem a bit rough occasionally, but under normal conditions, shifts very smooth. 

Seats are very comfortable. The room in the cabin is fantastic - really important to me as a 6'4" guy. I get to test towing next week with my 1800 lb boat - don't expect anything unusual. 

Technology in the cabin is still a little quirky with Android Auto - primarily around the GM voice assistant. Minor criticism though. 

Very happy with the purchase even if it's only 5 or 600 miles. The dogs love the room in the back with the flat floor. 

Like others have said - if you know the owner and that the vehicle has been taken care of - get it. You won't regret it. I'm betting my old 2500 rides a lot like your Jeep, and it can be tiring on longer drives. 

FREAKING AMAZING

2015 Silverado LTZ Z71 4X4 with the venerable 6.2L L86 V8

The only vibration I've ever had is when the tire shop missed the setup in January of this year. Rebalance made that vanish. 

My 8L90E is a beast. Shifts smooth, and always seems to be in a great gear. 

104K Miles and the only issue has been a left rear axle seal at 91k. I've completed the recalls issued for my truck but he's never actually experienced any of the issues. 

Contemplating servicing my ball joints and struts, though even with this mileage tire wear has no indications of anything amiss. The right outer tie rod end has a boot leak, but that's hardly justification for full service. 

AC works great, Heat works great, all electronics work as designed, Clyde is a beast. I could not be happier.

Do it! :thumbs:Find a nice, well maintained one and you will not be disappointed!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

Funny neither one of my 2018's clunk. They don't vibrate either.

Just because you hear of some that do this does not mean all of them do.

I think some of the clunkers are because of the way the guys drive them. Quit beating the snot out of it and it won't clunk .

I have owned 8 GM trucks/SUV's dating back to 1994

Every transmission was great at times, but lackluster on other occasions.

The 4L60E versions were worse based on my experiences. 3 of them were replaced under warranty before 36k miles.

I cannot speak for every owner here and was just making a generalized statement.

Hopefully the new 10 speeds will be the best ever.

the transmission tuning in these trucks is god awful. and some of them shake real good around 65-75mph and there really isnt a fix for it. go on a looooong test drive and see if you can deal with the terrible trans tuning. and buy it new if you can after 70k these trucks start screwing up major.

most of the guys that say they have no problems have 30k miles lol. the guys with over 100k will tell you a different story

9 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

I have owned 8 GM trucks/SUV's dating back to 1994

Every transmission was great at times, but lackluster on other occasions.

The 4L60E versions were worse based on my experiences. 3 of them were replaced under warranty before 36k miles.

I cannot speak for every owner here and was just making a generalized statement.

Hopefully the new 10 speeds will be the best ever.

I never experienced any sort of clunk from any of the four-speeds I had, nor did I ever experience a low mileage failure. Every one of my 4 six-speed trucks (two GMT900s, two K2s) has clunked. I've driven three T1s, all with the DFM 5.3 and eight-speed. Two were smooth as butter, and one was clunky like my six-speed trucks. 

Edited by jlong1984
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jlong1984 said:

I never experienced any sort of clunk from any of the four-speeds I had, nor did I ever experience a low mileage failure. Every one of my 4 six-speed trucks (two GMT900s, two K2s) has clunked. I've driven three T1s, all with the DFM 5.3 and eight-speed. Two were smooth as butter, and one was clunky like my six-speed trucks. 

That is great news Jeff.

You are probably in the rare category for faultless 4 speed GM transmissions :thumbs: