So How is Ownership of these Trucks?

2 hours ago, ForestryGuy said:

I appreciate everyone's point of view on these trucks. Not so much worried about getting into the whole GM/ford/dodge thing. I've had the opportunity to drive a few "Big 3" and Japanese (Nissan) trucks in my line of work and they each have their pros and cons. There happens to be more fords in the forestry world for some reason... lower cost? Not sure. Either way I'm not a Ford fan - combo of professional and personal experience... but the seats are comfortable and the interior is pretty ergonomic... that's about it though.  Lets try to stick to 2014-2018 GM full size pick-ups. 

Depends where you are, the largest forestry company in Canada is in my area, the only person driving a Super Duty there is the boss that never leaves the pavement. The other 50-60 crew trucks are all DCSB 6.0L's. Many with over 200,000km of sh!t kicking on the back roads with minimal work. They tried to run Ford in the mid-2000's but that didn't last long. The 2500 front ends have proven to be just as tough and half the cost to repair. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, thefishhawk said:

you mentioned two kids, plus a couple dogs and maybe a wife thrown in there....you might want to consider a crew.    

Yeah I've been considering a crew cab. The extended cab has more leg room and width than the back seat of the Jeep so how ever you look at it the extended cab is an upgrade. Neither my wife or myself are tall so I doubt the kids will be either. Also, not too concerned with the dogs as they will go in the bed.Planning on a camper shell or soft topper with whatever I end up getting. 

I’ve owned all three of the big 3 as of recent. I like this truck (15 tx edition 4x4). Does what it needs to and looks good imho. I had the vibration at 78 just like everyone else. New tires solved that (factory ones were done at 35k).

My only real complaint is the vacuum pump issues and loss of brakes. Seems there are a ton of those failures and it’s a serious issue when they do fail (no brakes yay). Mine failed under warranty at 32k. Others weren’t so lucky and were stuck with a large repair bill since gm only had a tsb not a recall on it. 

That said all three (four with Toyota really) have their own issues.  My advice is buy a truck with the styling, options, and price you want and enjoy it. Most all you’ll find on the interweb are the bad experiences and not the millions of good ones. 

Edited by squeak93
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Speaking of opting for another brand.....   anyone seen the latest 2019 RAM recall? Apparently the Brake Pedals can "fall off" for lack of a better term! :smash:

https://5thgenrams.com/recall-2019-ram-1500-models-with-power-adjustable-pedals/

this was funny to me until i remembered the piece of wood i had to stick behind my gas pedal to make my truck have less than shitty throttle response.

do i dare post the chevy recall for brakes not working? haha

20 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Depends where you are, the largest forestry company in Canada is in my area, the only person driving a Super Duty there is the boss that never leaves the pavement. The other 50-60 crew trucks are all DCSB 6.0L's. Many with over 200,000km of sh!t kicking on the back roads with minimal work. They tried to run Ford in the mid-2000's but that didn't last long. The 2500 front ends have proven to be just as tough and half the cost to repair. 

My brother works for a big forestry company in Canada and they run GM. His last truck was a Silverado 2500. Right now he's got a 2016 1500 WT RCLB and his only complaint is that the headlights aren't great. Have to go to LTZ or Sierra to get the HIDs. He actually likes his 1500 better than his 2500 6.0L for his work because it seems less capable off road so he's more likely to switch to his quad sooner and therefore less likely to get stuck trying to get back out. Haha

He told me his company had a few problems with the gas caps or lack thereof on the 6.0 litres but he can't remember the details. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

He told me his company had a few problems with the gas caps or lack thereof on the 6.0 litres but he can't remember the details. 

Yes, I don't like this idea either. My new 2018 2500 is the first cap-less gas tank I have had. I have already found myself rubbing the road salt and dirt away from the "flap" before filling. It is convenient not to turn a cap, but I would prefer to turn the cap once a week than replace in-tank fuel pumps. Write that down GM, not all of us tow a 5th wheel down a concrete interstate. 

Aside from that they have been bulletproof trucks the last two generations of HD's if you stay away from the DEF Duramaxes. 

All bush trucks here are 2500's as most of us have a slip tank with 100-175gal of coloured fuel for the machines. That will kill a 1500's suspension pretty quick in the bush roads without helper bags. My '14 Silverado had better lights that my '15 Sierra personal truck, I had to upgrade to Morimoto HID and a 30" bar behind the grille. 

• Like 1

Think about the hundreds of thousands of truck units produced by GM.

Going to a Capless Gas Filler for starters, saves them thousands and thousands of dollars in parts.

Funny thing is, Truck prices continue to climb at a hefty rate. I would rather pay somewhere in the sticker price of my new truck for an actual plastic cap rather

than deal with mechanical issues from lazy engineering or cost savings down the road.

What I find most humorous about the new T1 GM trucks is this.....  they come with a Drivers Side A Pillar Assist Handle from the factory.

Those of us K2 owners have to go out and spend $50 or so and install them ourselves if we want one.

So, while some features/parts were lost on T1, others were gained.

• Like 1

I've had my '16 since new. It replaced my '09 that I also had from new. I'd have to the that the quality on the '16 isn't as good as my earlier truck. Small things like heated mirror not working, ripped at the seam seat cover (fixed under warranty), buckle in the top dash plastic, dent in the door padding from my elbow, even worse paint than my '09, key fob material deteriorating, and terrible back up camera are all annoying. Mechanically, the truck has been good with no transmission issues to report (or the host of other issues that can be found on this site) and it has ample power. I have 95,000 km on the truck and ,despite the quality issues, I do still like it.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I am definitely looking at these trucks and you all have reinforced how I felt about GM prior to my foray into Nissan and Jeep. I was looked at a 2018 GMC Sierra Z71 in "Deep Mahogany"  yesterday,  the dealership nearby has it listed for $39,995 "Managers Special". It seems like I'll take a hit on the jeep if I trade it so I am holding off until I could sell it. I'd still get at least what I owe on it, but we will see how I feel moving forward if I get a wild hair or if I see one I really like then I might pull the trigger. 

2014 Sierra, had to replace both heated seat cushions and  the drivers door lock actuator. Right after it hit 40,000 babied miles. Was disappointed but figured i just got one of the troubled trucks.

SO, today I think I worked out a deal at my local dealership on a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 z71 - new (16 miles). I'll be stripping my jeep of extras and trading it in, I think the deal for the trade went pretty good and the deal on the truck is decent as well. Tomorrow we will be finalizing the deal and getting the approval of the Boss (wife). Thanks to everyone who chimed in with their experiences. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ForestryGuy said:

SO, today I think I worked out a deal at my local dealership on a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 z71 - new (16 miles). I'll be stripping my jeep of extras and trading it in, I think the deal for the trade went pretty good and the deal on the truck is decent as well. Tomorrow we will be finalizing the deal and getting the approval of the Boss (wife). Thanks to everyone who chimed in with their experiences. 

Enjoy your new truck ! ?