So How is Ownership of these Trucks?

On 2019-02-08 at 11:13 AM, ForestryGuy said:

Hey All, 

New member here...

After 5 years of ownership I am ready to get rid of my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Looking at trading or selling her this spring. Finding that with two kids and two dogs I need a pick-up again. 

I came from a GM family and have owned or driven silverado/sierras and blazers for a long time, but never anything from 2014-2018. My current work truck is a 2004 Silverado and its a great truck, it sees some rough terrain. 

My father has a 2015 or 16 GMC Sierra he is thinking about selling that I may buy. 

Just want to get a feel of how these things are... issues? quirks? 

From my experience GM trucks were always just solid performers, comfortable, never any big issues, easy to find parts and easy to work on them. 

Does this still hold true?

Thanks!

Sam

On a personal note, I'd never buy a car from family members, friends or co-workers.

It's just prone to be trouble... ;)

Having said that, I agree with you about "...From my experience GM trucks were always just solid performers, comfortable, never any big issues, easy to find parts and easy to work on them."...

I've owned many GM vehicles in the past and, although I don't agree with the recent politics of GM, I can say that every GM vehicle was very reliable.

I'm not saying that there were no problems, but I ALWAYS made it home!

Whether it was Buick, GMC, Chevrolet or Opel ( yes...lol), it only took some street-smart-engineering to keep it going.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:13 PM, ForestryGuy said:

Hey All, 

New member here...Looking at trading or selling her this spring.....I came from a GM family and have owned or driven silverado/sierras and blazers for a long time, but never anything from 2014-2018. 

My father has a 2015 or 16 GMC Sierra he is thinking about selling that I may buy. 

Thanks!

Sam

2015 Silverado WT1 RCSB with 86,000 miles. Not new when I bought Pepper but only a thousand miles on the clock. I've seen demonstrators with more miles on them. 

My list of repairs: Pinion seal and....well....that's it, a pinion seal. I could have not fixed it. Just a damp spot that never showed up in oil loss. But I'm OCD and old. I'm told that's a dangerous combination. :P

It doesn't shake. At any speed. AFM is flawless and seamless. 6L80E transmission shifts perfectly. Gets great fuel economy. Doesn't use ANY oil at least at 5K OCI. No catch can. Killer brakes. Still on OEM wipers, tires, brakes, belts, hoses with plenty of service to spare.  

I didn't like the OEM ride and have extensively reworked the entire suspension. Some are good with the stock suspension tuning, some are not. It was a preference. I've upgraded the low beams one step whiter and readjusted the aiming. I modified the both motor and transmission cooling systems. Again personal preference most don't give a second thought. Did I mention my OCD nature? 

I'd buy a second one BUT I personally favor the 2015's. 15's has some features I liked standard that were optional in 14 and starting with the 16's I just don't like what they did with the hood. It is a part I am forced to look at every day. Again personal preferences. 

Having said all this some people have had issues with this platform and I would never say they didn't but sad as it is these issues when they get to print tend to morph from 'I had an issue' to 'they all are junk'. Not true and Pepper is proof.

If your dad likes it and it's been trouble free and you like they way he maintains it....why not?  

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 2/11/2019 at 6:28 PM, ForestryGuy said:

Yeah I've been considering a crew cab. The extended cab has more leg room and width than the back seat of the Jeep so how ever you look at it the extended cab is an upgrade. Neither my wife or myself are tall so I doubt the kids will be either. Also, not too concerned with the dogs as they will go in the bed.Planning on a camper shell or soft topper with whatever I end up getting. 

sorry to dig up an old thread, but did you go ahead with the soft topper?

On 2/16/2019 at 11:45 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

2015 Silverado WT1 RCSB with 86,000 miles. Not new when I bought Pepper but only a thousand miles on the clock. I've seen demonstrators with more miles on them. 

My list of repairs: Pinion seal and....well....that's it, a pinion seal. I could have not fixed it. Just a damp spot that never showed up in oil loss. But I'm OCD and old. I'm told that's a dangerous combination. :P

Now at 105,000. 100K services went well. Have the vacuum pump recall which I'm ignoring. Boost pressures are fine when tested. I will change to the new style pump soon though. Like after 150K when the extended warranty runs out on it. Until then, monitor. 

So Forest, did you buy one? 

Think about the hundreds of thousands of truck units produced by GM.
Going to a Capless Gas Filler for starters, saves them thousands and thousands of dollars in parts.
Funny thing is, Truck prices continue to climb at a hefty rate. I would rather pay somewhere in the sticker price of my new truck for an actual plastic cap rather
than deal with mechanical issues from lazy engineering or cost savings down the road.
What I find most humorous about the new T1 GM trucks is this.....  they come with a Drivers Side A Pillar Assist Handle from the factory.
Those of us K2 owners have to go out and spend $50 or so and install them ourselves if we want one.
So, while some features/parts were lost on T1, others were gained.
Pretty sure the little flap costs more than a standard gas cap. There's more engineering to them than meets the eye.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Now at 105,000. 100K services went well. Have the vacuum pump recall which I'm ignoring. Boost pressures are fine when tested. I will change to the new style pump soon though. Like after 150K when the extended warranty runs out on it. Until then, monitor. 

So Forest, did you buy one? 

If you are referring to me I did buy one. I got a 2018 Sierra z71, extended cab, SLE. I'm planning on a retroactive build thread so stay tuned. Its less than a year old and Ive racked up about 17000 miles - absolutely love the truck. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ForestryGuy said:

If you are referring to me I did buy one. I got a 2018 Sierra z71, extended cab, SLE. I'm planning on a retroactive build thread so stay tuned. Its less than a year old and Ive racked up about 17000 miles - absolutely love the truck. 

I am and waiting on your thread. :thumbs:

• Like 1