Premium Fuel

I've had my 2018 Redline Edition for about a month now.  I have the 6.2L engine in it. I live in Maine, and there are not a lot of places that sell 93 octane.  I have been running a mix of 91 and 93 octane fuel.  I can't really tell the difference in performance.  I would rather use 93 in it, but none of the major fuel companies (Mobil, Irving, etc.) sell 93 up here.  I can get 93 at a local convenient store, but I'm not sure of the quality.  Would you guys run 91 from a major supplier or 93 from a smaller store?  Thanks.

I think you will be fine with 91. 

The smaller store is an option, only if they sell a lot of fuel and have a tanker truck there often.  Otherwise the fuel might not be as fresh.  It is always good to find a place that is busy and gets fueled often to keep the fuel fresh.

Only one company sells over 91 where I live. Never had a problem running 91, only pinging I ever got was on a tank of 87 booting it up a hill. This motor doesn't like 87 where I live.

Edited by 426ted
  • Like 1

The 91 octane is a Premium level fuel, the minimum octane recommendation for the L86. 93 octane is probably the preferred number but 91 is perfectly fine. What simply boggles my mind is people choosing to skimp and use 87/89 to save a few pennies after chunking down for the 6.2L. They may not hear or even care that the premature detonation is occurring but it is. Now I totally understand that if it’s your only option you’re left with no choice. Even then I’d only put enough in to get me to the next place I knew I could get 91/93. Here is a good little information page on the L86, helped me get Florida to approve my personal plate...they questioned my intentions using 420 because it’s associated with...oh my gosh...weed ?

http://www.duramaxhub.com/gas/gm-6.2-ecotec3-l86.html

85FD88AD-7AFF-4DC5-BE00-394E1473B3F5.jpeg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

I mix E85 with 93 in my 2002 and no issues and love the way it runs.  I'll do the same with my 2019 and it's 6.2L.   I just wish more stations around here had E85. 

Is the 2019 6.2 Flex Fuel? Just curious. 

I live in Maine, so I'm pretty much at sea level. I think I'll just run the 91 from Mobil/Irving over the 93 from the local convenience store. I've tried both octanes, and to be honest, I cant tell any difference. Thanks for all the info everyone. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigman32hockey said:

I live in Maine, so I'm pretty much at sea level. I think I'll just run the 91 from Mobil/Irving over the 93 from the local convenience store. I've tried both octanes, and to be honest, I cant tell any difference. Thanks for all the info everyone. 

My brother does a lot of highway driving in both his cars and he found both the regular and premium from Mobil give him the best fuel economy.