Premium Fuel

I've ran shell 91 (no ethanol) exclusively since I bought my truck, Its always had a few odd ticking sounds at certain rpm/under load. It wasn't until recently that I found out it was pre-ignition. It was minus 25c out, I was going up a steep grade and the truck downshifted twice reving a little over two. I applied the throttle a little more and immediately it sounded like there was a quiet firecracker in the engine. My point, I get this intermittent sound year round under certain engine loads; just not to the same degree. One or two ticks under hard acceleration. I thought knock sensors would have picked this up but nothing happened. Pre-ignition sounds very different in these engines. Its quiet, one can easily mistake it for valve train noise or injector noise for that matter. I`m 3500 feet above sea level too. There`s a reason the manual calls for 93, and it does; It doesn't say 91 or 92, it says 93. You can run what ever you want in it, but you run the risk of pre-ignition. Unfortunately there`s no decent 93 around me either. 

Edited by M1ck3y

I've had my 2018 Redline Edition for about a month now.  I have the 6.2L engine in it. I live in Maine, and there are not a lot of places that sell 93 octane.  I have been running a mix of 91 and 93 octane fuel.  I can't really tell the difference in performance.  I would rather use 93 in it, but none of the major fuel companies (Mobil, Irving, etc.) sell 93 up here.  I can get 93 at a local convenient store, but I'm not sure of the quality.  Would you guys run 91 from a major supplier or 93 from a smaller store?  Thanks.

Run 93 with Lucas Fuel Treatment and you’ll never have a problem. I’ve run super from shell as well as diesel from shell and three vehicles getting crappy gas causing issues. Get 93 with Lucas.

Sent from above