2019 External Antenna?

So let me get this correct, a $53k truck still has a giant metal coat hanger wrapped in wire sticking out of the hood? Seriously Chevy?

Is this on all 2019s or just some? I have seen several dealer website photos where the truck did not have the external antenna and some that do have it. Is this an option or are the dealers taking pics before they screw in the antenna?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Speaking of antennas, I've never understood....maybe someone else knows the reason....why we still have the big off-center WART of a onstar/xm radio antenna! Surely they could incorporate it into the 3rd brake light and make it look way more pleasing. My wife's Cad SRX has a nice looking rear/center mounted Onstar/XM/AMFM combo antenna. I purposely ordered my 03 Silverado SS WITHOUT Onstar/XM because of the ugly antennas.

They all have it. On the bright side, radio reception is quite good.

They do sell aftermarket stubby antennas which maybe look a bit better. Personally I don’t really even notice them. The Ford’s is more apparent because it comes out the side of the fender.

1 hour ago, ShamrockShooter said:

So let me get this correct, a $53k truck still has a giant metal coat hanger wrapped in wire sticking out of the hood? Seriously Chevy?

My '86 GMC version of the Suburban had the antenna built into the windshield.  I remember at the time a push for GM to return to the traditional mast type antenna!  The reception is apparently superior with the exposed "coat hanger".  (Broken antenna's are often temporarily repaired with a metal coat hanger)   Another advantage is these antennas serve as an early warning device for low parking garages. ;-)

So if all 2019s have one, why does Chevy remove them from every marketing photo on the website? Do the Sierra's have them?

I know there is a mod to relocate the large antenna inside the hood on the 2014 to 2018s. Might have to figure that out on the 19 if I get one. The new 2019 ram does not have an external antenna that I could see

12 minutes ago, Jmonty said:

I would be interested in a stubby short antenna that doesn't sacrifice reception quality, any good links/ options out there?

My experience with the stubby antennas is that you ALWAYS lose reception, to some degree. I’ve had different brands of antenna on a few vehicles and it’s always been the same. Same with any built-in windshield ones.

Personally, I’m a big fan of the Homer Simpson antenna. Did it on both of my old S10s. Don’t think I have the heart to do it to the Silvy though... :D

06A78BC3-59FC-4918-AFFD-6EAC8F50361B_zps

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

So if all 2019s have one, why does Chevy remove them from every marketing photo on the website? Do the Sierra's have them?

Never noticed that until you said something. They sure do remove them in the press photos.

Sierras have the same antenna in the same place.

For the most part it doesn't bother me until we get a foot of snow and I have to get a push broom out. Clearing the passenger side window is much harder with an antenna in the way.

I guess I was just surprised as I see them without antennas on the Chevy website and with on the lot

11 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Same dealer, same RST, one has antenna one does not772c59cb6ce4d7e3976718f14f145152.jpgf69ca79cc86594de137446135d46dd26.jpg

The top photo is impressive, is that the "whip" antenna that comes with the CB radio option?

9 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

My experience with the stubby antennas is that you ALWAYS lose reception, to some degree. I’ve had different brands of antenna on a few vehicles and it’s always been the same. Same with any built-in windshield ones.

Personally, I’m a big fan of the Homer Simpson antenna. Did it on both of my old S10s. Don’t think I have the heart to do it to the Silvy though... :D

06A78BC3-59FC-4918-AFFD-6EAC8F50361B_zps

Awesome picture, noticed that you did find a set of SS wheels to put on it though.... Or the ZQ8, memory not what it used t be...