With trade or no trade

Hi again folks,

I'm the guy that started the 6.2 debate a few weeks ago, now that I have ordered 6.2....Here my next question (lol) I was thinking when you walk into a dealer with a trade if you don't get as good a deal than, just walking in with a deal to be had( no trade)….this said I found a private buyer for my 16 today at 2000.00  better than what they were wiling to give on a trade....

Thanks for reading      GH

If you bring a trade, they will lowball on it, but they are also usually more willing to negotiate on the price of the new truck. If you do a clean deal with no trade, they are less willing to haggle on the price of the new one. 

They will make their money somewhere. 

• Thanks 1

The tax benefit and lack of BS having to deal with buyers and tire kickers more than makes up for any difference in what they give you vs selling private party.

It’s not very easy to sell an expensive truck private party, especially if you still owe on it.

Dealer is going to try to knock you any way they can. If not on the trade, than the new one. If not on the new one, probably some kind of warranty crap you’ll have to turn down 7 times. If not that, the financing. It’s a minefield either way and taking the trade out of it probably doesn’t do much in the end.

Just stick to your guns when you go in. You know what your current truck is worth and you’ll have a good idea of a fair price on the new one. Since your new truck is an order, the prospect of you walking away probably won’t sit well with them so keep that in your back pocket.

Edited by OnTheReel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, goose hunter said:

Hi again folks,

I'm the guy that started the 6.2 debate a few weeks ago, now that I have ordered 6.2....Here my next question (lol) I was thinking when you walk into a dealer with a trade if you don't get as good a deal than, just walking in with a deal to be had( no trade)….this said I found a private buyer for my 16 today at 2000.00  better than what they were wiling to give on a trade....

Thanks for reading      GH

A car deal is a car deal. Just let them know you will be bring cash instead of your trade. You just reduced your payment by $40.00 a month, or you have $2000.00 to buy some accessories for your new truck. They will be fine if you give them a heads up on what you are doing.

Just an update, I sold my truck privately today and our agreement we are going to run it thru my dealer . Sold for 36000 and a lien for 16000...so 20000 worth of taxex saved..... This is in Canada, not shure how it works in the US. MSRP  66280, incentives for 5300 , 4000 from dealer,2500 on GM Card (about 2100 really) give  or take 1900 loyalty rebate, Will give you the final price when I have truck...6-8 weeks order time.    2019 LTZ C/C standard box  Satin steel metallic 4X4...Sold 2016 LTZ  43000 KMS (26 700 MILES) Silver Metallic.

Was going to say that trading in up here makes a lot of sense with the way the sales tax is collected.

How willing was the dealer to run the deal? I'm thinking it's only a little bit more work for them, but can save you a boatload of taxes and not cost the buyer any more. Only one who loses is the government....

• Like 1

Here in Missouri, you pay far less in taxes if you have a trade in allowance.

The taxed amount owed on the new vehicle when licensing is the difference between trade in and new vehicle vs. full new vehicle price.

That can equate to thousands in savings.

So , that being said it is usually always worth it to me to just trade in. Sure, less from the dealer, but less going to state taxes.

Im not sure about other states.