Towing with an EcoTec 4.3 V6 - revisited

Donstar

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

You have the 3.23 or the 3.42 gear? Just curious. 

I have the 3.42.  My tires are also the same size as posted on my door so no loss from heavier, larger wheels.  Gear ratio, as you know, is a significant variable.  The same truck as mine except with the 5.3 V8 and 3.08 gear ratio is rated to pull 900 lbs less than my 6cyl truck!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Donstar said:

I have the 3.42.  My tires are also the same size as posted on my door so no loss from heavier, larger wheels.  Gear ratio, as you know, is a significant variable.  The same truck as mine except with the 5.3 V8 and 3.08 gear ratio is rated to pull 900 lbs less than my 6cyl truck!

Learned early on that gearing is one of the most effective modifications a guy can make. Not as flashy as some others but really effective. :thumbs: Your truck is going to be fine. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I didn't weigh the setup this time but trailer is about 3500lbs maybe a bit more. Honestly thinking of upgrading. Saw a nice 24' jayco 4200lbs dry weight.

(10mpg on e85 @65mph and around 1400rpm iirc)677c78af533d165aafbc6976219541b8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Update-  We did buy a new trailer without increasing the weight over our previous trailer.  We've been out "camping" a couple of times with the new layout and believe it to be perfect for our current and future needs.  This also means that if I need a new truck in the near future, I can choose one with the 2.7L 4cyl!

• Like 2