Interesting Article Segment I Found Regarding Disabling of AFM

3 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

My '14 5.3 will often lock into V4 mode in what I call the sweet spot of around 40-45mph on flat, smooth roads which we have an abundance in the surrounding KC area.

More so than on the highway. Any slight throttle input will kick me back into V8.

Also, any slight headwind immediately kicks V4 back to V8

I love it when I can decipher the meaning of someone's post...thank you Dan :thumbs:

I can imagine the look I would get back in the day at a family picnic. My family’s rides would be Shelby’s, Chevelle, GTO, Camaros, Buick Electra, Rancheros etc. Hey man check this out, my new Chevy can drop from 8 to 4 cylinders to save gas, maybe. They would say, I bet that’s sounds like sh$t. Hey man you want a Vega, buy a Vega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

My '14 5.3 will often lock into V4 mode in what I call the sweet spot of around 40-45mph on flat, smooth roads which we have an abundance in the surrounding KC area.

More so than on the highway. Any slight throttle input will kick me back into V8.

Also, any slight headwind immediately kicks V4 back to V8

Here's a post with some real information. Thanks Dan! 

At 55 mph Pepper will stay in V4 at temperatures over 55-60 F up a 2-3% grade and into a head wind under about 6 mph and come out of it, if those conditions stay long enough, only for the minute the ECM says 'time out'. In the winter when it's 20 F and windy it hardly ever goes into V4 even down hill if the hill isn't too steep or long. Living in the northern half of Illinois direction sets my terrain for any distance up to 250 miles in any single direction. It is a load sensitive device and even tire pressures will affect it's operation if near the load limits of it's design. I love this feature. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I can imagine the look I would get back in the day at a family picnic. My family’s rides would be Shelby’s, Chevelle, GTO, Camaros, Buick Electra, Rancheros etc. Hey man check this out, my new Chevy can drop from 8 to 4 cylinders to save gas, maybe. They would say, I bet that’s sounds like sh$t. Hey man you want a Vega, buy a Vega.

Don't forget the Monza! :lol:

See the source image

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Here's a post with some real information. Thanks Dan! 

At 55 mph Pepper will stay in V4 at temperatures over 55-60 F up a 2-3% grade and into a head wind under about 6 mph and come out of it, if those conditions stay long enough, only for the minute the ECM says 'time out'. In the winter when it's 20 F and windy it hardly ever goes into V4 even down hill if the hill isn't too steep or long. Living in the northern half of Illinois direction sets my terrain for any distance up to 250 miles in any single direction. It is a load sensitive device and even tire pressures will affect it's operation if near the load limits of it's design. I love this feature. 

Thank you as well Marty! :thumbs:

• Like 2

Don't forget the Monza! :lol:

th?id=OIP.PqQDAr9yzx8AyJJAG4RVYgHaEh&pid=Api

My wife bought a Oldsmobile version of that. First car she bought without me. Lucky she got the V6. Door handles broke inside and out. Shifter broke. Brakes and front tires alignment every 10K miles. A real piece. I did put duals on it though, I put duals on every thing back then.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 9:25 AM, TXGREEK said:

Exactly, I was thinking more in the line like it was going to be a little motor caused by larger heavier wheels and tires but when the tech told me the cabin lights dimmed when turning steering wheel I knew it was electrical. I then worried while they were going to do a diagnostic they would see it was tuned even though I switched back to stock before getting there. It’s all good now, glad i could help, maybe pass that photo around for stiff steering when cold.

Sent from above

On 2/12/2019 at 9:25 AM, TXGREEK said:

I wouldn't rely on them not saying anything means they don't know about your tune.  Most likely, they just don't care.  They may not have cared at all or just didn't care to look for it.  Given that the issue you had had nothing to do with the tune, they probably just fixed it and went on with their business.  The mechanic gets paid to fix, not to be the tune police.  If your engine were to blow up and GM got involved, I have no doubt they will know that you tuned your truck.  Whether or not they do anything about it, I don't know, but there is no way for you to prevent GM from knowing you tuned your truck.  Eff'n OnStar probably sends them a report every time you change something.

I wouldn't rely on them not saying anything means they don't know about your tune.  Most likely, they just don't care.  They may not have cared at all or just didn't care to look for it.  Given that the issue you had had nothing to do with the tune, they probably just fixed it and went on with their business.  The mechanic gets paid to fix, not to be the tune police.  If your engine were to blow up and GM got involved, I have no doubt they will know that you tuned your truck.  Whether or not they do anything about it, I don't know, but there is no way for you to prevent GM from knowing you tuned your truck.  Eff'n OnStar probably sends them a report every time you change something.

Who knows, aside of the stiff steering it’s been great. I know they did a full electrical diagnostic test on it and never mentioned anything even though it’s just a canned tune and not anything major. As far as OnStar, I’ve got it off as far as sharing my driving habits, I’d be happy not having it. I use my phone for everything and have never used OnStar.

Sent from above

• 3 months later...

I used an entune to turn afm off about 4.5 years ago, no catch can installed. Im just under 72k miles, I’ve seen no change in oil use. As a precaution I do return to stock before dealer visits, if the visit involves popping the hood.

• Like 1

heres an odd question

Has anyone seen any different correlation between the RANGE disabler VS an actual tune disabling AFM? I know it sounds stupid, but I was thinking i wonder if a tuner (physical person) can see any different settings with disabling AFM, rather then a OBD2 plug in disabler.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:22 PM, flyingfool said:

don't forget particle build up on the filter that screens the oil going into the dod  system

Just passed the 90K mark. Being the cautious sort I replaced this screen and the pressure switch and had an oil system pressure check preformed. 90,000 miles should be long enough, right? If it were not for the fact the screen was destroyed during removal it could have passed for new. In addition absolutely no discoloration suggesting varnish, lacquer or thermal degradation of the oil. (4.3 screen installs upside down hence nothing to get hold of removing it). Switch passed muster but as I had a new one, it was also replaced. Oil pressure checks were stellar. (although the dash gauge is a chronic liar). Hot idle pressures are more than twice what is required to activate the AFM and hold it. According to the video failure is due to a lack of oil pressure at the VLOM. Filter block pressures are 5 lbs. higher than the after filter VLOM galley pressure. 

My head wrench tells me that this is the cleanest AFM screen and system he has ever serviced. We've agreed to a similar service to be preformed each 100,000 miles. 

As dyier2 has pointed out in several post on this topic and more times than I care to read the faithfulness of this system is more about meticulous maintenance than poor design. I agree and now so more fervently. 

Use good oil, use a good filter, change at a reasonable OCI interval and keep her cool and treated well. 

• Like 2