Interesting Article Segment I Found Regarding Disabling of AFM

In normal operation, that is in V8 mode the oil is bypassed to the pan but feed to the lifters when in V4. So what they are saying is that it's BAD to be in V8 mode because is will over oil the cylinder walls? ROTFLMAO. 

Okay so wait. Installing this delete kit they recommend plugging the dump to the pan which is otherwise normally open in operation in that state? :lol:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, HondaHawkGT said:

There are well over 4 million Gen V (2014+) engines with AFM - GMC Sierra, Chevy Silverado, GMC Yukon, Chevy Suburban, Chevy Tahoe, Chevy Camaro, Chevy Corvette, etc. It doesn't take many AFM lifter issues to create the perception that they are plagued with AFM problems. Combined that with the fact that when someone has an AFM lifter issue, they often register here and vent about it. That has the effect of concentrating the number reports of lifter failures here, and distorts the reality of how reliable the Gen V system is. 

Makes me feel better.... since they have the top half of my less the 20K mile engine apart..

last time I saw the truck they had the front wheels off and were heading in through the inner fenders

I have a 97 with over 300K ... so far it's been a trooper 

Edited by GMC #1

Folks...this thread was started at the request of a few members @Sierra Dan was kind enough to start it. In no way was he even suggesting that AFM (active or disabled) is either good or bad. It’s intent is to gather opinions and information from the collective Hive. He posted an article that raised a few eyebrows, mine included. So far it seems the trend is that there is not any documented harm to come from disabling or even doing the delete kit(s) on our engines. This is good stuff!! The more I read the better I’m feeling with my decision to buy the Range. Without discussion, many of us are left wondering. I am not that knowledgeable on AFM, I just know that the term AFM lifter failure is very well known...obviously without AFM lifters we wouldn’t have AFM lifter failures. So if I base my decision to keep the Range or dump it just on what’s been posted, well I’m gonna keep it. Thanks to all those who have contributed their comments ???

• Like 1

I'm leaving both my 2018's alone and do not anticipate having any trouble. No Range , no catch can. Never had a problem with any of my  3 previous AFM equipped trucks. I'm not into reinventing the wheel like a lot of guys on here do .

Same guys that complain just about everything. Just sayin.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Folks...this thread was started at the request of a few members @Sierra Dan was kind enough to start it. In no way was he even suggesting that AFM (active or disabled) is either good or bad. It’s intent is to gather opinions and information from the collective Hive. He posted an article that raised a few eyebrows, mine included. So far it seems the trend is that there is not any documented harm to come from disabling or even doing the delete kit(s) on our engines. This is good stuff!! The more I read the better I’m feeling with my decision to buy the Range. Without discussion, many of us are left wondering. I am not that knowledgeable on AFM, I just know that the term AFM lifter failure is very well known...obviously without AFM lifters we wouldn’t have AFM lifter failures. So if I base my decision to keep the Range or dump it just on what’s been posted, well I’m gonna keep it. Thanks to all those who have contributed their comments ???

I had hoped by not letting it go into 4 mode I wouldn't have this problem.

If I get mine back correctly reassembled... I will plug the Range in before I leave the dealer...

Catch will go back on after I get it home 

7 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

By popular demand, I am posting this article I found in reference to a reported negative drawback from using a Range Device or similar AFM disabler.

My position on this issue is neither yea or nea! I will leave that up to the L83/L86 and previous 2007-2013 DOD engine experts.

An AFM Disabler is an electronic device that plugs into the OBD-II port, under the dashboard. It prevents the computer from switching over to four-cylinder mode.

It’s a simple and effective way to turn off the AFM system and provides the added bonus of improving exhaust sound.

NOTE: A disabler device should ONLY be used if the valvetrain is in good working order.

Engines with AFM use a high-volume oil pump. When you eliminate the AFM system, the extra oil is no longer needed.

Excess oil will be pushed out of the pressure relief valve into the oil pan. This will spray oil on the bottom of the cylinder walls which can cause oil burning, especially in high-rpm engines.

So I assume a catch can in unison with a Disabler is key to preventing this excess oil buildup?

Engine guys please chime in. :thumbs:

I have found this topic of disabling AFM quite odd.  I am a fairly new (8 months) owner of a 2016 High Country. Sweet f’ing ride, none of the vibrations issues discussed.   On a recent long distance drive (over 1000 miles total) I achieved a tad over 23 MPG (actual measured) and saw the display switch to 4 cyl often while cruising,  Engineers at GM (I assume) worked hard to create this feature, why disable it?  In late summer in 2018 after buying this used truck, I had no issue towing 6500lb boat, launching etc....  

Why would I spend 100s and risk screwing up what was designed into the truck to improve fuel effiency etc?  My truck may be different as it was sold in Canada which has a few differences like no E85 etc...

Bob

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

I'm leaving both my 2018's alone and do not anticipate having any trouble. No Range , no catch can. Never had a problem with any of my  3 previous AFM equipped trucks. I'm not into reinventing the wheel like a lot of guys on here do .

Same guys that complain just about everything. Just sayin.

Guilty as charged...but man I’m so frickin far from smart on these things I’m easily swayed ?

Maybe because those AFM lifters are unique little turds. Hope disabling the AFM from engagement will allow those lifters to act like normal lifters and last a lot longer. I’ve got the Range (new to me) but have been using L7 since new almost exclusively. When warranty is over...AFM DELETE (not just disable) is in my trucks future.

Mine is already disabled.

Sent from above

But can be detected even when you put everything back to stock?

I’ve had mine in for that full electrical issue with stiff steering in cold weather and all was good, just disable prior to servicing.

Sent from above
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TXGREEK said:

I’ve had mine in for that full electrical issue with stiff steering in cold weather and all was good, just disable prior to servicing.

Sent from above

My steering gets a little stiff when it's real cold but it's out of warranty now. What did they tell you? I just figured that's how they are.

4 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

So, from what I’ve gathered here is there’s no proof it’s good to turn off your AFM or proof that it’s bad to leave it on?

Sent from above

Ehhh I don’t know but I only seriously started thinking about the Range after my service manager told me one of the reasons he decided to buy a Titan because they don’t have AFM. Lee Buick/GMC owns the Nissan dealership too and he’s been there for a while. We were talking about the transmission shudder problems and the new fluid. He said some people mistakenly thought they were having transmission issues when it was the V8 to V4 transitions. I never “felt” mine but certainly heard it.

• Like 1