FL335i

No more 8spd transmissions?

Wise choice. The 5.3L/6L80 is a perfectly good combination, especially with the 3.42 gearing. It "granny shifts and doesn't double-clutch like it should", especially on the 2-3 upshifts, so it's not going to light your hair on fire or anything, but it's about as bulletproof as you can get these days and doesn't have any of the 8-speed issues. 

I'm guessing you're also a 335i driver by your username? From all I've read, the GM 8-speed is nothing compared to the slick ZF 6 and 8-speed boxes in the Bimmers. At first I was a little bummed that you coudln't get at least the 8-speed in the these things with the 5.3L, but geez, seeing all of the issues I'm happy with the 6-speed. I'm good with the 5.3L/6L80/3.42 combo. :)

Check out my blog thread ("How the Hell Do You Go From Driving a BMW 335i to a 2018 Chevy Suburban" LOL): 

• Like 2

I have a ZF9 speed in my ram van, and it's a total POS.. stay away from all foreign transmission, ( FCV or German stuff from BMW , land rover, Ford, mazda and Daimler ),  with more that 6 gears, it's all going down hill. they want to make driving miserable so we buy the next generation electric garbage cars they will be foisting on us!

23 hours ago, FL335i said:

I actually really like my 6spd.  My only complaint is in heavy city traffic trying to drive and keep up with some of the buzz boxes, it can feel like the transmission is on drugs the shifts take so long. 

The best part of my BlackBear tune was what he did to the transmission.  Made the truck drive completely different and much more responsive and I was pleased with it beforehand.  Didn't know what I was missing!

Good point!!  Maybe it's time I finally look at a black bear tune.  Looking for more drive-ability improvements vs power gains.  And I like my cheap 87 gas :)  E85 wakes up the truck  too!

3 hours ago, flyingfool said:

I have a ZF9 speed in my ram van, and it's a total POS.. stay away from all foreign transmission, ( FCV or German stuff from BMW , land rover, Ford, mazda and Daimler ),  with more that 6 gears, it's all going down hill. they want to make driving miserable so we buy the next generation electric garbage cars they will be foisting on us!

The ZF9HP for FWD/transverse applications is widely known to be a clunker, which is bizarre because their ZH6HP and 8HP transmissions for longitudinal/RWD applications are widely considered world standards. The current 8HP/RWD in BMWs and many other vehicles continues to be a gem, and incredibly reliable. It's truly rare to ever hear of one failing.

That said, I agree with you. Automatics transmissions with more than 6 gears tend to be hit or miss.

13 hours ago, S P said:

. The current 8HP/RWD in BMWs and many other vehicles continues to be a gem, and incredibly reliable. It's truly rare to ever hear of one failing.

We have a Q7 with this transmission in the family stable. It's fantastic and is in quite a few vehicles these days, everything from Chrysler 300s to Rolls-Royces.  Never heard of them having any issues.

As for the GM transmissions:

The 10-speed gets rave reviews, it felt good with the 6.2 in the Denali XL I test drove. However, it does not have a transmission dipstick and I believe uses 'lifetime' fluid. It was also primarily designed by Ford (RWD applications, GM took the lead on FWD) which makes me a little skeptical. Ford doesn't have the best history with transmissions, even in this day and age. Just look at the Focus, ALL of the automatics in them fail. 

The 6-speed is pretty proven and reliable. There's so many of them out there that inevitably a few have been duds, but overall they're pretty robust. They put them into the Express/Savanna and if anything says "Old but proven" it's those. 

Edited by Mandalorian

1 hour ago, Mandalorian said:

The 10-speed gets rave reviews, it felt good with the 6.2 in the Denali XL I test drove. However, it does not have a transmission dipstick and I believe uses 'lifetime' fluid. It was also primarily designed by Ford (RWD applications, GM took the lead on FWD) which makes me a little skeptical. Ford doesn't have the best history with transmissions, even in this day and age. Just look at the Focus, ALL of the automatics in them fail. 

Umm, yeah... that.:rolleyes:

Drove the 10R80 in the Ford Expedition Max I rented, and wasn't too impressed. I don't understand the point if it doesn't have a wider spread of ratios than other 6-9 speed transmissions and actually skip-shifts most of the time. Once in awhile it would shift sequentially and rapidly, and jerk you in your seat a bit each time while doing it. It was annoying, but it didn't do anything stupid like the GM 8-speeds are known for doing.

I'm  much more comfortable with a 'fully baked' and born and bred in house and proven GM Hydramatic. Might have to look into this Black Bear tune though. :)

• Like 1