Troops2990

2015 Equinox Heater Problem

My fiance has a 2015 equinox (base model) and it is having a heater issue. With the heat cranked up all the way, the air coming out is only about 70ish degrees. The engine temp appears to be normal (gauge only, no actual temp) and the blower works fine. She has had the car for about 8 months and no work has been done on it except for oil changes and the coolant level looks to be fine. The heater would blow out hot air until about a week ago and now it is luke warm. Any ideas or things to check would be appreciated.  

I would take a guess at thermostat. And on a side note that DexCool was advertised to last 100,000 miles but I will advise to flush it at least every 4 years. I have read a lot of that issue and DexCool is fine but needs to be changed regularly like the older Prestone.

I have a 2016 LS. I had a heating problem last month. First, too much heat and it would not adjust. Next time I started it, there was no heat and it would not adjust. The first time I had the heat dialed all the way up and the next time it was dialed all the way cold. Last summer I had a problem with the AC not getting cold enough. The common thing in all this was I had my iPhone plugged into the accessory 12v and my iPod plugged into console USB. Something messes up the temp dial when I have too many things plugged in? 

2 hours ago, Bill Hutchison said:

I have a 2016 LS. I had a heating problem last month. First, too much heat and it would not adjust. Next time I started it, there was no heat and it would not adjust. The first time I had the heat dialed all the way up and the next time it was dialed all the way cold. Last summer I had a problem with the AC not getting cold enough. The common thing in all this was I had my iPhone plugged into the accessory 12v and my iPod plugged into console USB. Something messes up the temp dial when I have too many things plugged in? 

That is strange, but now-a-days nothing really surprises me. All the electronics in these cars and trucks, its no wonder. I leave a "Range" device plugged in a lot and that has never been an issue. I have a dash cam direct wired into the system also with no issues.

Scan it for codes, maybe a sensor issue or actuator on the way out. Need GDS2 to check for codes.

Thanks for the ideas. I was debating just replacing the thermostat just because but I figured the engine temp would be off if that was the issue, but it should be easy and cheap enough to try. I'll also tell her to unplug all her shit that she has hooked up to it and see if that helps.

2 hours ago, Troops2990 said:

Thanks for the ideas. I was debating just replacing the thermostat just because but I figured the engine temp would be off if that was the issue, but it should be easy and cheap enough to try. I'll also tell her to unplug all her shit that she has hooked up to it and see if that helps.

You think like I do. I start with the lowest costing repair first when the issue could be caused by a couple different things. Good luck and let up know what corrects the problem.

Well when i found out that the thermostat is on the side of the engine instead of the top, i decided to look into it a bit more before replacing it.. I got a scanner and it shows the coolant temp is 185F at full temp. So I would think that would be hot enough to produce good heat.. I also noticed that the fan seems to blow about half the air that it should.. It gets faster as you turn up the dial but on full, it seems to be blowing about half speed... Any ideas what this could be or should I get a new fan and see if that fixes it?

I cant say for sure but there are many post in different forums about the fan speed control issue. The speed control is like a rheostat and what you are experiencing may be the same issue that others have posted about. The fix would be to replace the fan control panel.

Do some searching and you may find others with same issue

I can only speak for me and I had to replace mine in an 05 Avalanche.

Well I found the issue.... I checked the cabin air filter to see if it was partially blocked by something.. When I pulled the cover off, I found what turned out to be about 5 lbs of dog food on top of the filter, blocking the air flow..... So some critter got into the dog food and decided that in her heating system was a good place to store it.. Cleaned all of it out and now it works like it should..

Thanks for all the ideas in here. 

• Haha 1

That's different. Glad you got it figured out.