RUMOR MILL: Is GM Cooking Up A High Performance LT4 Equipped Escalade & Silverado?

Zane

LT4_Crate_Engine.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor / Publisher, GM-Trucks.com

February 12th, 2019

An exciting but anything-but-confirmed rumor has started to swirl around the GM performance community recently. Here's two completely independent reports I read in the last 24 hours. 

So I heard that late 2019 to 2020 there’s supposed to be a new ss Silverado release and only in arrival blue, birch, red and blk. Let’s hope and see.

Escalade V is apparently actually happening..with an LT4

With the sheer number of white collar jobs currently being "resized" at GM, it's no surprise that anyone working on future product development might feel a little salty and inclined to chat about the projects they were working on. Does this mean these products are in development? MAYBE. We see three likely options. 

Option 1- The Rumors Are True: That means the next generation Escalade will get a V-Series variant with the 650-horsepower Supercharged 6.2L LT4.  If that platform was packaged for the Escalade, slapping it into a Silverado and calling it an SS would be child's play and the most likely next move. GM has been criticized for lacking a true performance truck for a long time and this could make up for the absence.

Option 2- The Rumors Were True: But not anymore. In this scenario, the leakers who knew about the projects were let go because the projects were canceled. This is also a likely option. 

Option 3- The Rumors Are Not True: The whole thing was made up and taken out of context by hopeful GM Performance Enthusiasts (myself included). It was wishful thinking anyways...

Stay tuned to find out exactly which option it was. Maybe it's option #4?

Regardless of truth or fact, it is exciting to discuss no matter what!

I wish this engine were available in a Trail Boss or AT4 or similar package to a Raptor or RAM Rebel Hellcat. Why not GM?????

Hopefully the "SS" truck will be better than that of the 2003 and up GMT 800 SS.

• Thanks 1

If they really build a Silverado with this motor it will probably only be available in a High Country and will cost $75,000+.

I'm sure there are plenty of buyers for this setup though. They should build this truck. 

The Escalade will probably be North of $100,000.?

They'd **** it up and only put it in a crew cab. Rather than make fun and offer it in a RCSB. 

I can guarantee it will not be available in the reg cab especially when the 6.2 isn’t and that’s what the LT4 is

Ryan B.
  • Like 1

Sure that makes sense. Put your most powerful motor in your largest school buss want'-a-be and load it with so much crap you might as well buy a RCSB with 4.3 and supercharge it. Be just about as many takers. 

Hear there building a new Motel 6 east of town for all these rumors too! Tom Bodett is actually going to be running it. 

We'll keep the lights on for either rumor.  :lurk:

6.2 fits in the regular cab, a **** up is still a **** up. Leave it to GM to waste the LT4's potential by putting it in the heaviest half tons and SUV's. GM wasted potential isn't even surprising anymore. 

Edited by Daly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

If they really build a Silverado with this motor it will probably only be available in a High Country and will cost $75,000+.

I'm sure there are plenty of buyers for this setup though. They should build this truck. 

The Escalade will probably be North of $100,000.?

Escalades are already currently "North" of 100k

Example:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/761180229/overview/

• Like 1

Or they will screw it up by making it AWD like the last SS! Well with Mary in charge I guess we just need to be thankful it would not be electric! They would be called a SPARKY SPORT instead of a Super Sport!

• Haha 1

I can live with awd, 4wd would be better. Nice for traction and smokey burnouts. The Typhoon and syclone were awd and nice little street beasts. A RCSB 4wd LT4, with a factory drop would be nice. And do it like the trail boss, an upscaled LT or a basic Custom option. Bring back the cheap performance options. I don't need all the bells and whistles with my performance. I'm good with just pw,pl,cruise, A/C and about 500-550hp. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daly said:

I can live with awd, 4wd would be better. Nice for traction and smokey burnouts. The Typhoon and syclone were awd and nice little street beasts. A RCSB 4wd LT4, with a factory drop would be nice. And do it like the trail boss, an upscaled LT or a basic Custom option. Bring back the cheap performance options. I don't need all the bells and whistles with my performance. I'm good with just pw,pl,cruise, A/C and about 500-550hp. 

My first car was a Typhoon... :thumbs:

I still have my Maggie Supercharged Quadrasteer Denali.  It's got similar power to the L86/L87 '19, but a lot less interesting to drive.  A double-edged sword.  The main reason I'd rather it had 4WD though is the 9mpg city, 13mpg highway.