2013 2500hd 6.0 poor fuel economy

Hey everybody. So I've owned a 2013 2500hd 6.0 for around 5½ years from new. I tow a cargo trailer everyday with 6 ladders on the ladder racks which creates a lot of wind resistance, and right from the get go the fuel economy has been terrible, 28L/100km(8 mpg). On top of that it's been getting worse year to year, and I also feel like it's lost some power as well. What would be the best way to improve fuel economy? Should I do something to increase the power? Or would that give me even worse economy? Please help. 

Trade off, mpg vs power.

How many miles. Tuneup? Codes?

Run a scanner and check various sensors, o2 and fuel trim readings, MAF, open loop/close loop,etc. Failing o2 could cause a system to run rich. MAF failing could interpret air pressure as high causing system to run rich

It is winter, letting it idle? (I can cut mpg by 25-40% sitting in a warm truck on the phone)

Check compression.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In all seriousness, I see it says you are in Manitoba?  I imagine your winters up there are balls cold, so if you do a LOT of winter idling, and you tow, 8mpg isn't that bad.  The only real fix would be a diesel or a 1/2 ton.    

Really can't improve a 6.0's mpg.  A 6000lbs+ dry weight truck is a 6000lbs+ truck, before the ladders and trailers. 

• Thanks 1

Oh it's definitely worse in winter. Those were my summer numbers I posted. Winter numbers are high 30's. I've considered a ½ ton but I'm worried about how long a ½ ton would last towing something 95% of its life. Never the less, something to consider all the same. Thanks for the input. 

16 hours ago, Big Whiskey said:

I suppose running a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through it wouldn't hurt. And, maybe a tank of top tier, higher octane gas to see if anything changes. Could be some bad gas or clogged injectors. How many miles do you have on it?

This and to make sure your air filter is clean and that all the tires are at correct pressure.  The cold will allow them to drop in pressure which will kill MPG.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wollmann said:

Yeah I definitely intend to do a catback, and thanks for all the advice guys. I'll be checking a few things out. 

I'd go to my local GM dealer and let them talk me into a solution.  Your truck has some trade in value still and there are some good deals on '18's.   If you can manage with a 1/2 ton, they are much more gas friendly.  I towed a box trailer in the past with a 1/2 ton on a regular basis.   I now tow a travel trailer.  Last summer pulling my 4500 lb (approx.) trailer around BC saw 21-23 L/100km averages.  At times fuel has exceeded $1.50 a litre in our area so 28 L per 100 km on average would definitely have me looking at other trucks!