TURN OFF AUTO REAR DEFOG?

I don't want my rear defog to come on during remote start. I've gone into settings, vehicle, remote start, auto rear defog "off" but it still automatically comes on when the outside temp is below a certain number. Anyone else have this issue?

1 hour ago, DEV1ST8R said:

Thanks. I see that other guys have auto on turned off in settings too. Hopefully a firmware update will follow.

15 hours ago, '17 Sierra said:

I don't want my rear defog to come on during remote start. I've gone into settings, vehicle, remote start, auto rear defog "off" but it still automatically comes on when the outside temp is below a certain number. Anyone else have this issue?

12 hours ago, rah7777777 said:

I plan on disconnecting my wires to the rear defroster. I’ll never use it in Texas and I don’t want my window to blow out as I use remote start all the time

There are several examples of exploding rear windows found on the internet.  I am confident that the number of broken rear windows caused by rear-window defrost failure is miniscule next to the number of vehicles with this feature.  If there is an identified risk inherent with '14-'18 GM 1500's then why not check for a fix rather than disable this option? 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, '17 Sierra said:

I have the Silverado LT package and do not have the "rear window defrost" option on/off under remote start (at least I don't see it) but do have it under "climate and air quality". With your package level, you may have it in both areas and thus need to disable it there also.

In my case, the defrost activates at a certain temperature. If I'm on the road and that  temp is reached, the defrost feature should come on. Also, I would guess if the vehicle is remote started after a cold night, the temp again has been reached and bingo, the defrost switches on. Therefore, again in my case, I would need to disable the defrost feature through the climate/air quality section of the vehicle settings.

Just a thought.

Edited by Capt Bob

17 hours ago, '17 Sierra said:

I have the same problem with mine, its frustrating, I don't want the rear defroster on every time the temp is below a certain temp... I also cant get my heated seats to come on automatically either even though I have the setting switched to "on" ...

2 hours ago, Capt Bob said:

I have the Silverado LT package and do not have the "rear window defrost" option on/off under remote start (at least I don't see it) but do have it under "climate and air quality". With your package level, you may have it in both areas and thus need to disable it there also.

In my case, the defrost activates at a certain temperature. If I'm on the road and that  temp is reached, the defrost feature should come on. Also, I would guess if the vehicle is remote started after a cold night, the temp again has been reached and bingo, the defrost switches on. Therefore, again in my case, I would need to disable the defrost feature through the climate/air quality section of the vehicle settings.

Just a thought.

Thanks for that. I checked and you're right, it's under Climate and Air Quality and that's where I have it turned off. There's no option for it under Remote Start. Could have sworn it was though....

1 hour ago, ajensen383 said:

I have the same problem with mine, its frustrating, I don't want the rear defroster on every time the temp is below a certain temp... I also cant get my heated seats to come on automatically either even though I have the setting switched to "on" ...

I just don't want my rear window shattering. My heated seats seem to randomly heat with remote start but I think maybe they turn on to "Low" which isn't very noticeable.

1 hour ago, ajensen383 said:

Climate and Air Quality
Select and the following may
display:
. Auto Fan Speed
. Auto Rear Defog
Auto Fan Speed
This feature will set the auto fan
speed.
Select Low, Medium, or High.
Auto Rear Defog
This feature will automatically turn
on the rear defogger when it is cold
outside.
Select Off or On.

Just know, there are no settings to disable the rear window defroster with remote start, it will come on and stay on until the manually disable it. 

12 minutes ago, Grjfer said:

Climate and Air Quality
Select and the following may
display:
. Auto Fan Speed
. Auto Rear Defog
Auto Fan Speed
This feature will set the auto fan
speed.
Select Low, Medium, or High.
Auto Rear Defog
This feature will automatically turn
on the rear defogger when it is cold
outside.
Select Off or On.

Just know, there are no settings to disable the rear window defroster with remote start, it will come on and stay on until the manually disable it. 

Thanks,  I know where the setting are to turn it off, it just doesnt work

11 hours ago, Donstar said:

There are several examples of exploding rear windows found on the internet.  I am confident that the number of broken rear windows caused by rear-window defrost failure is miniscule next to the number of vehicles with this feature.  If there is an identified risk inherent with '14-'18 GM 1500's then why not check for a fix rather than disable this option? 

I'm in Texas... In the past 10 years I can't think of a single time with my old truck where I thought I sure wish I had a rear defroster. 

I'll never use it, so I don't care if its plugged in at all. and I really don't want my glass shattering for a feature I don't even need.

I just hope it doesn't throw some kind of error light when I disconnect it.